- - - - -

Haveing Trouble Understanding Something

7 replies to this topic

#1 xxSSKxx

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 11:51 PM

I'm new but I hear mechs got rescaled so my simple question is.... How is it a 45 ton mech can be taller than a 75ton mech.

for size comparrison look at the Medium phoenix hawk (45) vs Heavy marauder (75ton)

Can anyone tell me how or why something like this makes sense or is balanced?

#2 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,712 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:08 AM

By volume. And the bulk of the marauder is parallel to the ground while most parts of the phoenix is skinny and vertical. Think of the tall skinny boy with his rounder, heavier shorter friend. It is definitely not perfect, especially since the bulk of the weight is tied to the actual engine...

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 04 December 2016 - 12:08 AM.

#3 EgoSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:19 AM

View PostxxSSKxx, on 03 December 2016 - 11:51 PM, said:

I'm new but I hear mechs got rescaled so my simple question is.... How is it a 45 ton mech can be taller than a 75ton mech.

for size comparrison look at the Medium phoenix hawk (45) vs Heavy marauder (75ton)

Because the mechs are three dimensional. The Phoenix Hawk is tall, but looking at it directly from the side it's thin. Where the Marauder from the front is shorter, but looking at the side is nearly as long as the Phoenix Hawk is tall.

Game play wise, it means you should be showing your sides to the enemy in a PH so they see the narrow side profile, but in the Marauder you want to be facing them to be showing the smaller front profile.

#4 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 04 December 2016 - 05:17 AM

The Mechs were rescaled based on internal volume.

which is bigger a 10cm cube a 20x5x5 cm cuboide?
the 10cm cube has an internal volume of 1000 cm3 while the 20x5x5 has half the internal volume despite being much bigger in one dimension

a more MWO relevant example would be a 4m wide 12m tall 8m long Mech vs a 4m wide, 16m tall, 2m long Mech, same width, taller, but not as long, and much less massive

think the comparison between the Marauder and Phoenix Hawk, the Phoenix Hawk is taller, and about as wide, but the Phoenix Hawk has most of its mass vertical while much of the Marauders mass goes into the central pod and is mounted horizontal, meaning height has far less bearing on weight in that case, which means it has a huge side profile (compared to front at least) while the Phoenix Hawk has a comparitavely tiny side profile

look at the IS 50 tonners, compare the Crab to the Centurion and you will see the Crab is much shorter but has a big side profile which the Centurion does not, now if you put the Hunchback in that comparison, the Hunchie is much blockier than the other 2, and has a lot if its mass in the Hunch and the ammo drum on its back, as well as just being bulkier in general so it is shorter than the Cent but taller than the Crab

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 04 December 2016 - 05:19 AM.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:18 AM

View PostxxSSKxx, on 03 December 2016 - 11:51 PM, said:

Weight isn't a factor of just height.

I appologize for the laziness here.
Posted Image

Normally I make cooler transitions.

To be frank, the Marauder has a little over twice the front torso surface area, meaning the Marauder is a HUGE target especially from the side or above.

Marauder hitbox..
Posted Image
Sadly no one made a hitbox localization for the Phoenix Hawk. Note this is before the rescale so do not take scale into account here, this is a 45 ton Vindicator.
Posted Image
Notice how much less surface area there is to shoot, despite its size?

Edited by Koniving, 04 December 2016 - 09:29 AM.

#6 xxSSKxx

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:02 PM

Still believe its two tall for a medium. Multiple youtubers have complained this to be a problem with most of the 45 ton mechs and below minus the locus of the rescale. The phoneix hawk is just the tallest so I figured it would be a good to compare it against the closest mech to its size. I didn't have a compare program so i tried just spaming back and forth threw mech select till i came up the 75 ton and said **** thats double the wieght and a heavy and barely shorter so that should make my point.

#7 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 02:49 PM

They just gave the Chicken Ha...PXH some quirks but their sheer size needs to be adjusted. Until then they will simply be large, easy to hit Mediums that hit like Lights and have all their weapons in the arms.

#8 reflectorjones

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 85 posts
  • LocationKCMO

Posted 05 December 2016 - 04:27 PM

So in Layman's terms.

5'10" cutie
vs
5'10" BBW off of craigslist.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users