• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 06 December 2016 - 11:49 PM

I preordered one... then canceled the preorder because I realized that no matter how good the mech is, I simply do not pilot assaults. That said, this should be a very good one, and I will probably eventually pick one up for C-Bills.

#42 Anunknownlurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 362 posts
  • LocationBetween here and there

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:12 AM

like Pariah Devalis I am not an assault pilot but I am hopeful this will play more like a heavy (a weight class which is not my favourite although I am improving!).

I have no nostalgia for this mech as I never played MW2, but the MAD is the only IS heavy I really enjoy playing so the idea of a MAD with a Clan XL engine is rather exciting :D

#43 Kshat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:21 AM

View PostFiona Marshe, on 06 December 2016 - 10:01 PM, said:

Going to be interesting to test play against the Warhawk. Just finished levelling the third one on my Clan CW account and they have similar energy weapon roles.

JJ
ECM
hardpoints high enough that you don't plow the soil every time you fire your main armament (except for Lurmhawks, but... well...)

And if the hitbox somewhat resembles the Marauder, it will be more durable than the Warhawk with its disappearing sidetorsi.

As it stands now, the Warhawk got a niche role of "sniper in flat and even terrain" or "UAC-brawler which is potent as long as stuff dies fast enough that it won't shoot back". Or Lurmboat. Or suicidal missile brawler.
Okay, that's exaggerated by a large margin, but all in all, the Warhawk isn't competitive. You can enjoy him a fair bit in PUG-games and on certain CW-maps, but in the end you pilot one because you're somewhat in love with the garbage truck.

So now the Clans will get a 85t-assault which SHOULD be a good hybrid between mobility and firepower. Mechs like the Gargoyle or Executioner pay too much of their podspace to gain the mobility they have, the DWF isn't agile enough and the Highlander is just plain bad because every Highlander, Clan and IS, suffers from the engine cap, bad hardpoints, the difference of how LRMs (and somewhat SRMs) work when you compare the tabletop with MWO and ESPECIALLY the difference between the way jumpjets work in these games. The Highlander (and Victor) is actually pretty agile because jumpjets allow him to cross short distances in one leap. In MWO they're just a means to transgress small pebbles on the floor which your mech can't walk over.

I expect something like a superheavy Night Gyr incoming :)

#44 Uncle Totty

• The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,556 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSomewhere in the ARDC (Ark-Royal Defense Cordon)

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:52 AM

View PostPeiper, on 06 December 2016 - 07:40 PM, said:

I didn't buy it because it doesn't look anything like a Marauder IIC as I remember it:

Posted Image

Posted Image

PGI's version just looks like a fat, bulbous, overweight marauder.

I know right? It is as if the Clans just took the old Marauder, made it 10 tons heavier, and upgraded everything to Clan tech. Posted Image

#45 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 02:11 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 06 December 2016 - 11:49 PM, said:

I preordered one... then canceled the preorder because I realized that no matter how good the mech is, I simply do not pilot assaults. That said, this should be a very good one, and I will probably eventually pick one up for C-Bills.

Yeah I sort of came to that conclusion after dropping around 210m c-bills on the assault sale..... just not much fun for me relative to mediums. Ooops!

#46 DivBy0

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 243 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 02:49 AM

This is the good point on the KDK3. After Phase 3, the unleash of the KDK3 (the walking death of balance) and switch of most of the last IS-Loyalist Units to Clan... things can´t get worse. Even an complete OP Marauder IIC can´t kill a dead balance twice.

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 06 December 2016 - 05:14 PM, said:

yea, High alpha warrior. Fun at the cost of balance.

Teir 1 Potato player, likes to stack all weapons on 1 button and fire.

#47 The Unstoppable Puggernaut

• The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 07 December 2016 - 02:54 AM

Very excited for this mech, the MW2 feeling is coming back :)
Vs the Warhawk, this is filling a completely different role. It's why I didnt invest into the Warhawk and I did for this mech. I wish it had more ballastics but hey we'll see what happens. The variants don't feel too different which is unfortunate except the hero.

Looks wise, it cannot look like the original too much, if it did, it would block so much movement in a map. Taking it into CW would be absolute nightmare.

#48 DGTLDaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 746 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:07 AM

Looks like a mech that should fit nicely into the current power curve. For instance, let's look at the primary laser vomit variant - MAD-IIC. A Hellbringer can run 2xLPL+3xERMED, a Timber Wolf can run 2xLPL+4xERMED, a Kodiak can run 2xLPL+6xERMED. I would expect MAD-IIC to comfortably run 2xLPL+5xERMED, which should put it right between the Timber Wolf and the Kodiak. Same goes for the ballistic/energy MAD-IIC-A. A Timber Wolf can run 2xUAC10+3xERML, a Night Gyr can run 2xUAC10+3xMPL, a Kodiak can run 2xUAC10+4xMPL. My guess is that MAD-IIC-A will be able to run 2xUAC10+4xERML. Let's see if I'm right in my assumptions Posted Image

P.S. Looks like they did switch ballistics from the RT to the LT. Crap. I'm so used to having my autocannons bound to the RMB, and my lasers to the LMB Posted Image

Edited by DGTLDaemon, 07 December 2016 - 03:13 AM.

#49 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:23 AM

View PostDGTLDaemon, on 07 December 2016 - 03:07 AM, said:

P.S. Looks like they did switch ballistics from the RT to the LT. Crap. I'm so used to having my autocannons bound to the RMB, and my lasers to the LMB Posted Image

As far as i know, the MAD-IIC-A and MAD-IIC-C will have RT mounted ballistics (The one in the picture has a PPC, not an autocannon)

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 07 December 2016 - 03:23 AM.

#50 The Boneshaman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 481 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:05 AM

#51 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:35 AM

The model looks pretty good, that assault queue gonna be huge on Tuesday!

Guess that means the heavy queue will finally be ready for me again :)

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 07 December 2016 - 06:35 AM.

#52 Brian Banzai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 731 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationLebanon, TN

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:17 AM

Jerome Winson's Marauder IIC

Posted Image

#53 LordLosh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 409 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:49 AM

This thing will destroy babbies and puppies at the same time with 0 F*$!s given. Dual gauss with a ppc or large pulse and ecm GG

#54 Hawk819

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,624 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:50 AM

#55 Tordin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:36 AM

Im excited! MADS, no matter their iteration are great mechs in lore and in games. And this comes from one who got interested in the classics (marauders, warhammers, archers, etc) in THIS very game, MWO. MWO introduced me to the classics and their evolutions. IMO thats a score for PGI, HBS, Catalyst and BT itself to get one more follower for this kind of mech.
Happy to see this MAD get alot of left/ west side high mounts. Im a west hander to the core. So no wonder this one and other left side mechs like the Shadow Hawk and Banshee are some of my favorites.

Also I love Warhawks so this one will be right up my alley regarding hte lower weight assaults.

Edited by Tordin, 07 December 2016 - 09:40 AM.

#56 Arkhangel

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:03 AM

View PostKshat, on 07 December 2016 - 01:21 AM, said:

JJ
ECM
hardpoints high enough that you don't plow the soil every time you fire your main armament (except for Lurmhawks, but... well...)

And if the hitbox somewhat resembles the Marauder, it will be more durable than the Warhawk with its disappearing sidetorsi.

As it stands now, the Warhawk got a niche role of "sniper in flat and even terrain" or "UAC-brawler which is potent as long as stuff dies fast enough that it won't shoot back". Or Lurmboat. Or suicidal missile brawler.
Okay, that's exaggerated by a large margin, but all in all, the Warhawk isn't competitive. You can enjoy him a fair bit in PUG-games and on certain CW-maps, but in the end you pilot one because you're somewhat in love with the garbage truck.

So now the Clans will get a 85t-assault which SHOULD be a good hybrid between mobility and firepower. Mechs like the Gargoyle or Executioner pay too much of their podspace to gain the mobility they have, the DWF isn't agile enough and the Highlander is just plain bad because every Highlander, Clan and IS, suffers from the engine cap, bad hardpoints, the difference of how LRMs (and somewhat SRMs) work when you compare the tabletop with MWO and ESPECIALLY the difference between the way jumpjets work in these games. The Highlander (and Victor) is actually pretty agile because jumpjets allow him to cross short distances in one leap. In MWO they're just a means to transgress small pebbles on the floor which your mech can't walk over.

I expect something like a superheavy Night Gyr incoming Posted Image

well, the Warhawk WAS dubbed "The Apartment Building that walks" by IS pilots. Always has been a blocky *******. It's just also had the front-load firepower to vape most things it's engaging.

#57 Stonekeg

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 69 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSouthern Cali

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:09 AM

I rarely break my IS loyalty, but this is one of those times.

Also, it's the 1st time I've been able to participate in an event AS the new Mech on the block. I'm pretty freakin excited.

#58 Sonny Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 445 posts
  • LocationThe Motion Lounge

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:41 AM

View PostMarack Drock the Unicorn Wizard, on 06 December 2016 - 05:48 PM, said:

Just what we need. Another worthless mech.

And this time PGI wasn't even being original, they were just like "Hey we already made Marauder, so we don't need to make any real or new concept art. Just alter the Marauder we already have a little bit."

Pathetic.

Thank you for your input. Rest assured we will give it all the consideration it so richly merits.

#59 Tristan Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:42 AM

God DAMN, that's pretty.

Kudos to the 3D artists.

#60 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 07 December 2016 - 02:52 PM

Looks good! I'm curious to see the scale difference between this and the IS Marauder. They may have managed to keep it roughly the same size, and just added on some bulk.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users