How Do You Set Up Your Weapon Groups?

50 replies to this topic

#21 Jables McBarty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:51 AM

Depends on the build, but in general I think of my RMB as my "primary" weapon (first big mech was the HGN-IIC), and my Shoulder 3 as being my "missiles" button (first mech was the JR7-D).

Symmetrical (Pirate's bane, JR7-D, HGN-IIC-A):
RMB/LMB: R/L side
Shoulder 3: SRMs or Missiles if I have them. If not, sequential fire Right energy, or torso weapons if I have them (like in a HBK-IIC)
Shoulder 4: If Group 3 is Sequential Right Energy, this is Sequential Left Energy. If 3 is Missiles/torso, this is Sequential Fire Energy.

Ex: LCT-PB with 4ML and 1MG
RMB/LMB: R/L side (2ML each)
Shoulder 3: MG
Shoulder 4: Sequential all 4 MLs

Assymetrical: Best example is a HGN-IIC where primary/right secondary/left line up, but this also applies for say the TBR-A, where my "primary" are PPCs in the left torso, which I still bind to RMB
RMB: PRIMARY or Right arm
LMB: SECONDARY or Torso/Left Arm
Shoulder 3: Streaks/Missiles
Shoulder 4: Energy Sequential

Ex: HGN-IIC(O)
RMB: cUAC/5 (RA)
LMB: 3cERPPC (Grouped) (LT)
Shoulder 3: 3cSSRM2 (RT; LA)
Shoulder 4: 3cERPPC (Sequential) (LT)

Ex: TBR-A
RMB: 2cERPPC (grouped) (LT)
LMB: 4cERML (grouped) (RA/LA/LT)
Shoulder 3: 2cERPPC (sequential) (LT)
Shoulder 4: 4cERML (sequential) (RA/LA/LT)

For boats that have to manage ghost heat, I usually do:
R/L: Right/Left side (both arms and torsos)
Shoulder 3: Arms
Shoulder 4: Sequential all weapons

I don't use the Alpha button--I just mash down all the buttons at once.

View PostPariah Devalis, on 07 December 2016 - 11:23 AM, said:

First off, I have a G600 mouse, so I have as many weapon group buttons as I need, and then some.

I try and group logically, however. Generally, I run either: LMB for left arm, RMB for right arm, ring finger button for torso weapons, or I use LMB for arm weapons, RMB for one half of my torso weapons, and ring finger button for the other half of the torso weapons. Group 4-6 are where my thumb rests, and I generally reserve those for self guided weapons, such as SSRM or LRMs.

Rarely, however, I'll use group 4 (thumb) and LMB for split left side weapon groups, and RMB and ring finger for split right side weapon groups. Does not happen often, but I do have it. Even rarer, I will use group 4 for a single, primary, torso mounted AC, when groups 1-3 are occupied.

How did you get it to work? I bought one a year ago and my PC (windows 10) would recognize only either the G600 or my keyboard.

#22 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:55 AM

View PostJables McBarty, on 07 December 2016 - 11:51 AM, said:

How did you get it to work? I bought one a year ago and my PC (windows 10) would recognize only either the G600 or my keyboard.

Did you install the logitech gaming software? http://support.logit...om/software/lgs

Using that, I have a game profile for MWO, GW2, and Diablo 3. Most other things, I don't use a special mode for it. I then used the profile I created to "rebind" some of the keys so that the appropriate games recognized them as other button presses.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 07 December 2016 - 11:57 AM.

#23 Jables McBarty

• 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:57 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 07 December 2016 - 11:55 AM, said:

Did you install the logitech gaming software? http://support.logit...om/software/lgs

Yea, like three or four different versions lol! Logitech suggested I roll back to earlier patches to no avail.

When did you get/install yours? Recently? or around the time I got mine (I think Jan/Feb 2016)?

Cause if later, I might give it another shot--maybe they cleaned up the code.

#24 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:57 AM

View PostJables McBarty, on 07 December 2016 - 11:57 AM, said:

Yea, like three or four different versions lol! Logitech suggested I roll back to earlier patches to no avail.

When did you get/install yours? Recently? or around the time I got mine (I think Jan/Feb 2016)?

Cause if later, I might give it another shot--maybe they cleaned up the code.

I got the mouse like.. 2 years ago? But updated it recently.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 07 December 2016 - 11:58 AM.

#25 KoalaBrownie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:59 AM

Three or four groups maximum.
Usually have main weapons on 1+2 (LMB and RMB) and tertiary weapons on 3. If I have LRMs, they're almost always on 3 because you don't really need to aim them.

The only thing I do differently than other people, would be that sometimes if I have a mech which has sketchy heat and say two ER PPCs, I'll have one ER PPC on say LMB and both PPS on RMB. That way I can alternate fire them or fire them simultaneously just depending on what button I push. The alternative is to just put 1 on LMB and one on RMB and then push both buttons simultaneously but that can screw up the aim sometimes

#26 Dynamic Echo

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 18 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:13 PM

I have a razer naga mouse so I use six groups a lot of the time, generally have torso weapons on LMB, arms on RMB (or right side/left side depending on build, I never mix torso and arm weapons though), with 1 and 2 being supplementary weapons with 4 and 5 any other group required (often a chain fire group on 5). 3 and 6 I use to zoom in and out, 7 and 8 are for vision modes.

#27 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 07 December 2016 - 05:24 PM

Weapons on my left side = LMB. Weapons on my right side = RMB. Weapons on my arms = Scroll button. Chain fire = MB4. Macro activation = MB5.

#28 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:12 PM

Left side / right side +/- grp3
main weapon group / back group +/- grp3
Torso / arms +/- grp3

Most often group 3 will be my SRM group, or either my chain or total alpha group. i don't ever use more than 3 groups.

#29 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:31 PM

Usually:

1 = left-side guns

2 = right side guns

3 = supplemental weapons (or torso guns if L/R guns are arms)

4 = Chainfire of 1 and 2, which are usually lasers

#30 MiniFish

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 08:43 PM

Interesting, seems like most here share similar rationale for weapon grouping, and also how most only go up till 4 groups

Im impressed with you lots who could use more than that, and the ones who can use extra buttons for chainfire groups and maintain handling on the mouse. I cant really grip my mouse properly whenever i need to use the fourth shoulder button, and to rapid fire click it would just throw my aim off and turning me into a stormtrooper

Edit : also, wow, keyboard shooters! How!?

Edited by MiniFish, 07 December 2016 - 08:47 PM.

#31 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:19 PM

- Left mounted weapons on left click
- Right mounted weapons on right click
Left click + right click = alpha

Additionally, optionally:
- high mounted or longer range or more efficient weapons on mouse wheel up
- arm mounted weapons on mouse wheel down

That's how I do every single mech I own. Two buttons is all you need, and I just throw in the mouse wheel for flexibility. I do the same thing in MW:LL as well, generally. Although I prefer to have "held" weapons, like MGs or TAG on my right mouse button, lasers or ballistic on left button, and missiles on scroll wheel up, and arms on scroll wheel down.

Edited by Tarogato, 07 December 2016 - 09:26 PM.

#32 SuomiWarder

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationSacramento area, California

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:31 PM

Only have four mouse buttons to work with, and two are little ones on the side that are squeezed. I tend to group by range if there is a difference (like a set of medium lasers and some longer ranged stuff). Want my alphas to be the two main mouse keys pressed together. Missiles go on the 3 or 4 "wing" buttons on the side.

#33 Queen of England

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 288 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:37 PM

M1: Normally all weapons go in here, unless there's a major ghost heat violation.
M2: High-mounted weapons only (for cautious hill-humping, etc.)
M3: Arm-mounted weapons only (for UAVs, etc.)

Not everything gets set up this way, of course, e.g., my AS7-S just has the SRMs on one button and the AC/20 on the other, the STK-4N has the 6 LLs split between left and right on M1 and M2, and between LA and RA on M3 and M4, my dumb 6 ERLL warhawk has 2 ERLLs each on M1, M2, and M3, and so on.

#34 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:39 PM

I set my mechs up primarily in three ways:

Laser vomit mechs (Clan and IS): Left Click (All lasers) Right Click (Medium lasers) Thumb button (Large Pulse)
Ballistic mechs (or laser mechs that break ghost heat ie: SPL Nova): Left Click (left side) Right Click (right side)
Gauss Mechs: Left Click (all lasers or PPC) Right Click (Gauss) Thumb button (chain fire lasers if I have lasers)

#35 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:23 PM

View PostTarogato, on 07 December 2016 - 09:19 PM, said:

Additionally, optionally:
- high mounted or longer range or more efficient weapons on mouse wheel up
- arm mounted weapons on mouse wheel down

I have always found shooting with the wheel to be unnatural and weird. Nope. Not even once.

#36 Shiroi Tsuki

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,205 posts
  • LocationCosplaying Ruby from Rwby in Aiur, Auckland, GA America, Interior Union, Mar Sara and Remnant

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:21 AM

3 Groups at MAX but since my builds typically follow a Primary and Secondary weapons only, I'm limited to 2 unique weapons usually.

So let's say I'm running my Brawling Centurion;
LMB = Left side weapons (SRMs)
RMB = Right side weapons (Lazurs)

With that said, I also take into consideration on putting my primary weapons on LMB since my index finger has better reflexes and fire discipline better than my middle finger.

In the event where I run 2 Primary weapons (such as 2x AC/20s), both LMB and RMB are dedicated on each AC/20s with "Z" as my Secondary weapon. (I don't have a fancy $350 mouse)

I enjoy running symmetrical builds, so using this system compliments my play style and builds

#37 Ghostrider0067

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 397 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ, USA

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:45 AM

It depends on the mech and the loadout, honestly. But, for most circumstances, it goes like so:

L mouse: group 1
R mouse: group 2
Mouse wheel click: Alpha strike / group 3
Mouse 4 (upper side button): missiles / group 4
Mouse 5 (lower side button): combined energy weapons / group 5
L ALT: Ballistic / group 6

I use a Razer Mamba TE and a Razer Nostromo game keypad.

#38 kesmai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:52 AM

1 button warriors are the bestest.
Everyone knows!

#39 ice trey

• 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:10 AM

Mouse setup as follows.

Left mouse button: Group 1
Mouse wheel button: Group 2
Right mouse button: Group 3
Wheel up: Select Target (Same as default R)
Wheel down: Cycle Zoom

Blue Mode:
Left Flank button 1: Consumable 1 (Try to keep it a UAV)
Left Flank button 2: Zoom module

Purple Mode:
Left flank button 1: Consumable 1 (Try to keep it a UAV)
Right flank button 2: Consumable 2 (Usually Artillery, sometimes airstrike. Never coolant flush)

Group 1 is usually the close ranged guns without any concern for ammo, or in cases where I want to keep the left and right sides separate, the left side guns.
Group 2 is the Missile button / the "Hold it down" weapons. Usually reserved for LRMs. On flashbulbs, I use this as a chain-fire option for torso-mounts.
Group 3 is the big guns and/or ranged weapons systems. Alternately, for firing right-handside weapons.

This works since most of Battletech's designs sport main guns on the right arms, but in those off times where the big gun is on the left arm, it feels really awkward to me.

#40 Skipmagnet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:52 AM

My mech can only carry one gun, so I just assign it to all six groups. Ez.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users