24 replies to this topic

#21 Willard Phule

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 09 December 2016 - 04:18 AM

Look, PGI has proven time and time again that they simply do not have the ability to separate people based on skill or any other criteria.

We've already gone through two...TWO...hastily slapped together matchmaking things. First was the whole Elo debacle, now it's the PSR thing....which is really Elo with a different name.

The biggest problem is the fact that PGI refuses to believe they don't have a big enough playerbase to actually support whatever they cobble together.

#22 Wil McCullough

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 04:29 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 09 December 2016 - 03:13 AM, said:

There's a reason why "carrying" is a thing.

If you're doing the work of 2 or 3 players by yourself (in terms of killing ability, not just positioning and focus firing), this is what top tier teams actually look for as it is more often than not conducive to success.

If you're "that guy" that believes in capping first in Conquest... running away when you have superior numbers to the enemy... this is what is calling "being a potato".

There's a reason why the solo queue is what it is... where people don't trust the person next to them... and why the group queue overwhelms others (refusing to work with everyone else)... it's the lack of teamwork in a team oriented game that is usually the biggest difference between winning and losing.

exactly. lack of teamwork.

teamwork is the ultimate decider in wins and losses, which is why in qp, it's a complete crap shoot where individual performance means little. i've had the pleasure of dropping with and against comp team players from 228, emp, lords etc. none could carry 11 other teammates to victory because like in a chinese saying, you can bring the horse to the river but you can't make it drink.

in qp you have no control over your teammates and no way to gauge how they will behave.

on a side note, i've noticed comp players always being over-aggressive in qp. the comp play style doesn't carry over very well in an environment where you can't rely on teammates. proton is an outlier because that guy can literally take down or disable 2-3 enemy mechs before the rest of his team even starts getting into position.

#23 MrMadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 09:25 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 08 December 2016 - 02:32 PM, said:

But also, if PSR becomes fully visible, you're going to get people telling low tier players that they're the entire reason they lost, and berating them for it/complaining to the enemy team that they have them, and higher tier players will be relied on to carry even harder because people will know they're higher tier. The amount of abuse it would cause is... worrying, to say the least.

Emm... You should understand, that according to description of any ELO-like (W/L based) MMR system MM in order to work properly, MM should find players with almost identical PSR ratings - otherwise it won't work properly (results will be unpredictable/random). I.e. if you will see players from other Tiers in your match - it will mean, that MM fails to do it's job. And... In this case players' complaints about their loss - will be completely valid and legitimate. So, we don't need to know other players' Tiers in order to blame them - we need to know this Tiers in order to blame matchmaker. Why? We need to distinguish matches, where loss is result of players' fault, from matches, where loss - is MM's fault. Cuz in first case we will have a reason to be upset. Yeah, may be Tiers shouldn't be shown at the beginning of the match. But why not to show them at the end?

#24 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 11 December 2016 - 09:13 AM

View PostWil McCullough, on 09 December 2016 - 04:29 AM, said:

exactly. lack of teamwork.

teamwork is the ultimate decider in wins and losses, which is why in qp, it's a complete crap shoot where individual performance means little. i've had the pleasure of dropping with and against comp team players from 228, emp, lords etc. none could carry 11 other teammates to victory because like in a chinese saying, you can bring the horse to the river but you can't make it drink.

in qp you have no control over your teammates and no way to gauge how they will behave.

on a side note, i've noticed comp players always being over-aggressive in qp. the comp play style doesn't carry over very well in an environment where you can't rely on teammates. proton is an outlier because that guy can literally take down or disable 2-3 enemy mechs before the rest of his team even starts getting into position.

If you even have the actual skills (less about shooting and everything - I'm talking about communicating stuff) and playing as a team naturally, this is far less of a problem. The problem actually is that people don't even willfully want to communicate, nor work together. If you're getting hung up on your teammates derping, you're probably focusing on the wrong things. You will have to occasionally herd the players to even have a shot of doing something consistent.

It's just easier to say to learn to carry... because you're not going to win solely on your shoulders alone... but it's easier to control your own performance than to completely rely on a random stranger.

#25 Wil McCullough

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 10:38 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 11 December 2016 - 09:13 AM, said:

If you even have the actual skills (less about shooting and everything - I'm talking about communicating stuff) and playing as a team naturally, this is far less of a problem. The problem actually is that people don't even willfully want to communicate, nor work together. If you're getting hung up on your teammates derping, you're probably focusing on the wrong things. You will have to occasionally herd the players to even have a shot of doing something consistent.

It's just easier to say to learn to carry... because you're not going to win solely on your shoulders alone... but it's easier to control your own performance than to completely rely on a random stranger.

i actually communicate a lot during matches. both over voice and via typing. i also think my in-game performance is ok. not carry level, but i'd like to think i can more than pull my weight. it's kinda frustrating though when your charlie lance takes a sight seeing tour around tourmaline despite repeated calls to support the rest of the team for example. yes, i can still put out 700 damage and kill 3 guys or something, but it could have been a 12-6 win instead of a 5-12 loss.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users