18 replies to this topic

#1 Arnie1808

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 546 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:58 AM

I don't know if anybody else has asked this but I couldn't find it by searching because the search was having a "senior moment".
My question is - I would like to download Mechwarrior 4 for free but I can't find it :P
I have tried this site but had no luck -
http://www.mektek.ne...4/download.html

Also is this download all of Mechwarrior 4 i.e Mechwarrior 4 + Black Knight + Merc's and the Clan + IS Mech Packs?

Edited by Arnie1808, 10 December 2011 - 07:59 AM.

#2 Holmes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:02 AM

Trust me, that site is confusing even for me, and I'm usually pretty tech savvy. Download "MTK" or "MTX" or whatever... and then forward ports... and then you can start downloading MW4... or something. It's really a painful set up, but I'm about halfway through the process (it's a long download for me cause of my slow bandwidth.)

#3 benefedaykin

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationEarth... possibly

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:14 AM

Yeah. You need to download the MekTek installer first and then you can choose to download either MW4 or the Assault Tech (pretty crappy imo) game from inside the MekTek program.

The download is REALLY slow and downloads as a torrent so it also suffers from a lot of the limitations that many ISP's put on such downloads. I gave up trying to install it myself because it would have taken days to download at the 10Kb/sec that it was downloading at.

Still, if you can manage to download it, you'll have some good, free fun. MW4 has a pretty decent single player game and the Solaris matches are a blast.

Be sure to find a joystick somewhere or you will be getting mad gamer claw from having to use Number Pad to control torso twist, etc. ;D

#4 Strayed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:15 AM

http://www.mektek.ne...downloads-r1204

You download it here, there's several methods to download as well.

#5 Orcinus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 346 posts
  • LocationYour Left Flank

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:18 AM

http://www.mektek.ne...-download-site/
above links to mtx download mirror:[redacted]
EDIT: Ninja'd

View PostArnie1808, on 10 December 2011 - 07:58 AM, said:

Also is this download all of Mechwarrior 4 i.e Mechwarrior 4 + Black Knight + Merc's and the Clan + IS Mech Packs?

The download should include Mercenaries + both Mech Packs + additional content from Mektek (including even more mechs)

Hope this helps

Edited by Egomane, 03 April 2014 - 01:18 AM.
removed link

#6 Aescwulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 311 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:20 AM

http://www.mektek.ne...downloads-r1204 <--- click on that

then scroll down until you see " Mechwarrior4: Mercenaries MTX FULL Install (version .0028) " click on that and that will open up the torrent
download that then download 0028 - 0029 NON-MTX patching method , then 0029 - 0030 then 0030 - 0030c hotfix

This is the most simple way of doing it

#7 Ghost

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:20 AM

This is the wrong forum for this conversation. Moving the thread.

#8 MDS Geist

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationDeep in the Unknown of space Also known as a famous authors home state. " Hail To The Victors "

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:25 AM

Also be warned the torrent that is used is laced with alot of problems. ( Mektec still needs to fix the virus issue on there torrent link. )

#9 KingCobra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:44 AM

I also had massive problems downloading and updating through MTX,torrents,ect but it is worth it there are alot of cannon mechs weapons,ect.be sure to update it to .30 patch.You would think could let other sites roll it up into a MW4mercs.exe and let it install to correct path with no .net or - in the folders or the original microsoft path .If you do download and get it updated be sure to check out my install instructions to play on gameranger with other MWO players.

I dont know if all of the people on this forum know where to play there old Mech type games but here it is
www.gameranger.com it is a simple version of the old MSN gamming zone.You can play MechCommander,MechCommander2,Mechwarrior3,Mechwarrior3 PiratesMoon,Mechwarrior4Vengeance,Mechwarrior4BlackKnight,Mechwarrior4Mercinaries,
Mechwarrior4MercinariesPR1,and the Mechwarrior4Mercenaries Free Mektek version also.

Here are the instructions to get the Mektek Free version to work on GameRanger

First go to gameranger.com download client and make account.The activation email will sometimes come in a junk folder.Activate your account and startup gameranger.
Visit www.mektek.net and download a free copy of Mechwarrior Mercinaries through the MTX or torrunt programs update it to version 3.1/30a-30c
Next go to your hardrive where your free copy of the Mektek mercinaries is installed(C:D:ECT\programfiles\mektek.net folder).
Next rename the folder(mektek.net)folder to (Mektek) delete the (.net).
Next go inside the newly renamed (mektek) folder and find the folder(Mercenaries-Mektek Mekpack)
Next rename the folder (Mercenaries-Mektek Mekpack) to (MercenariesMektek)all one word then go back to GameRanger on the gameranger bronze page go to edit then options find the game Mechwarrior Mercinaries on the games tab highlight it on list then hit the brows tab to open it point your link to your new C:\program files\mektek\MercinariesMektek\MW4mercs.exe
thats it now you can play on gameranger.

P.S even though the installer is a bitch the game & mod are very fun you can also get about 300 additional maps & missionmaps here
http://www.mechwarri...action=listMaps
http://bc.walkingwal.../maps.htm#aspen
http://www.netbattletech.com/nbt-hc/
under downloads. :P You can also play your original CD versions on gameranger also.

Edited by KingCobra, 10 December 2011 - 08:55 AM.

#10 Seth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 785 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:38 AM

If you guys would prefer a direct download instead of a torrent, you can download the game from here.

#11 Arnie1808

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 546 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:46 AM

Ok I have managed to find my copies of Mechwarrior 4 / Black Knight / IS Mech Pak / Clan Mech Pak / Mercenaries.
Now the Question is can I download and install the MekTek add on stuff? and is there an easier way to get it than the large download?

#12 Seth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 785 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:16 PM

The Mektek stuff is a separate stand-alone game. It's not a patch for the retail version of the game. There is a mekpatch to 3.01b, but you won't be able to play with the people on the free version, which is the most widely played one.

#13 Arnie1808

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 546 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:25 PM

ok thanx ill start the download then lol :P

#14 Arnie1808

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 546 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:34 AM

Good god could they have made installing and playing the MekTek version of Mech 4 and harder?
Why couldn't they just do what every one else does and make auto install files instead of this bloody terrible MTX installer!
Its beyond crap

#15 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:03 AM

View PostArnie1808, on 11 December 2011 - 03:34 AM, said:

Good god could they have made installing and playing the MekTek version of Mech 4 and harder?
Why couldn't they just do what every one else does and make auto install files instead of this bloody terrible MTX installer!
Its beyond crap

I don't know why it confuses so many people to be honest. It is just a torrent installer so that they can have many folks host the download files instead of keeping a single server up just to download the files from. They originally didn't know if there would be a new MW game so the rate at which folks downloaded MW4:Mercs was rather low. Remember that they make no monies off of all this and are a fan based project that jumped through hoops in order to offer it for free at all.

#16 Strayed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:10 AM

View PostBarantor, on 11 December 2011 - 09:03 AM, said:

I don't know why it confuses so many people to be honest. It is just a torrent installer so that they can have many folks host the download files instead of keeping a single server up just to download the files from. They originally didn't know if there would be a new MW game so the rate at which folks downloaded MW4:Mercs was rather low. Remember that they make no monies off of all this and are a fan based project that jumped through hoops in order to offer it for free at all.

And pretty much got told last minute there were allowed to release mercs and were forced to push mtx into service. I really don't get why people complain at mektek so much. Would you rather there was no online servers or free release at all?

#17 KingCobra

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:09 PM

Strayed i dont know if it a complain at mektek so much as the fact they have always made it hard to download and install there mods even back in MP1.I think its a mad at the way they do buissness even if it is free.Most downloads today are straight forward (installer executes makes a folder in a spacific path unloads the files to said folder puts a shortcut on the desktop then rechecks its instalation then starts up and playes.After this accept a EULA unblock the firewall or add required ports to exceptions and checks for any updates needed.All this is portrayed behind a little box with a picture and a status line.If mektek would look to the best examples in the online gamming buissness they always strive to make it as easy as possible for players to get online and play.

With this all said its MTX and the delevery systems mektek uses that maddens people not mektek per say they have made some wonderfull mechs weapons ect in there mod.The .net & - in there folders and the removal of the stock location path is still to me a (ARE we sharing folders on my computer)kind of thing is a waste of time if it was or is a tracking system it pushes more players away from the game itself.Plus if the game is free and recoded why does it need a wingen32 in the toolkit which makes players leary and unwanting to install it even if it is free.Even though it claims to be a false positive it is still considered unprofessonal to include it in and download.

So fix a few things put it on filedownload servers like fileplanet,filehippo,ect so players can download the mw4mektek.exe easy and fast. :) and it will =more ;) for Mektek.

Edited by KingCobra, 13 December 2011 - 12:34 PM.

#18 Miles Tails Prower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationStrike Cruiser: "Fury of Descent"

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:58 PM

Keep in mind if you're playing MW4:M from Mektek, if you side with house Steiner during the war you'll encounter a mission that glitches and prevents you from finishing the game. You gotta download one of Mektek's patches to fix that issue.

#19 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:07 PM

View PostMDS Geist, on 10 December 2011 - 08:25 AM, said:

Also be warned the torrent that is used is laced with alot of problems. ( Mektec still needs to fix the virus issue on there torrent link. )

Note that the virus issue is 100% NOT Mekteks problem. For example if you use Microsoft Security Essentials you will never run into this problem, it appears to be an intermittent problem only with Norton and McAfee I think.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users