11 replies to this topic

#1 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 09 December 2016 - 08:41 AM

What is it with people who can't park. I mean, do the lines move or something?

How hard is it to hit a spot that don't move. It's simple. Put the darn car between two lines, not straddle one line at a 45 degree angle. Sorry, venting some rage today.

#2 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 09 December 2016 - 08:55 AM

The earth is moving - so the lines are a moving target that moves quite fast - ;-)
Hm no the lines are to small - the parking garages are still build like we were in the 70s although cars become almost twice as big

#3 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 12:04 AM

Posted Image

#4 GonaDie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,125 posts
  • LocationThe biggest party you have ever seen

Posted 11 December 2016 - 02:59 AM

View PostI Zeratul I, on 11 December 2016 - 12:04 AM, said:

Posted Image

It's funny how with all the advanced sh!t we have these days, people are actually a lot dumber than they used to be.

Edited by GonaDie, 11 December 2016 - 02:59 AM.

#5 Zimm Kotare

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 232 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSolaris 7

Posted 11 December 2016 - 04:12 AM

Hmm, while I can get behind the sentiment regarding parking I can't agree on the IQ front:

https://youtu.be/9vpqilhW9uI - interesting video from a Ted Talk suggesting that IQ is actually much higher now than at any point in history due to the mental tools at our disposal allowing us to look beyond the immediate & mundane, to consider the long term & metaphysical.

I suspect that, when we talk about people being more stupid these days, we're actually playing out the simple fact that idiots are LOUD & abrasive (plenty non-idiots are too of course). When you consider that the world is more populous now than ever before, it's not so hard to make the leap to saying that, while ratios of stupid to not stupid people might have moved along with the increasing average intellect, the squeaky wheel remains the one that gets the grease.

That said, it is scary how dependent we are on technology. My memory was terrible before smart phones came along, I might not be a fully integrated merger of flesh & machine, but I suspect I would struggle almost as much as a literal cyborg, were you to divest me of those handy tools that compensate for my failings...

But seriously. Bad parking. Amirite?

#6 Gladius Vittoris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 05:09 AM

View PostGonaDie, on 11 December 2016 - 02:59 AM, said:

It's funny how with all the advanced sh!t we have these days, people are actually a lot dumber than they used to be.

And that's the reason, imo.
In the past, without advanced sh1t, ppl were used to use thier brain.

#7 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,069 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 04:45 PM

the real kicker is all that advanced technology isnt new. computer technology really hasn't changed much, other than the natural progression of moors law. we make a computer small enough, solder it to a radio, and some analog converters, and you got a cell phone. make it faster and you got a smart phone. the old people phone my mom uses could probibly run doom with some hacks (my 5th gen ipod runs doom). the difference is in the firmware, its set up to just be a phone, but it could easily run an os (and probibly does and hides it real well with a bunch of well placed splash screen where you would normally see the linux boot sequence). but people dont want to know how it works, they just want to know what button to push to post a cat photo on facebook.

whats worse is its all locked down behind a paywall. it doesnt need to be, but because the manufactures are greedy and the people stupid, they milk it. much of this is closed source too. so a few well placed nukes would pretty much put us back in the 1930s, if not the stone age. say, you didnt put your off site backups in a major city? oops! lostech.

Edited by LordNothing, 11 December 2016 - 04:48 PM.

#8 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:01 AM

more sad than funny, but what d you expect, dump people make children, clever people less. Thats now how evolution works.

#9 Cat-in-Exile

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 108 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 02:25 AM

People may be technically getting smarter, but the world around us is also more complex and developed than before, and apparently the average person hasn't kept up. People today are what I call "specialized", in that many are actually well-educated professionals who lack common sense or comprehension skills outside of their fields - in which they may be very proficient at. These are the Dr. Ben Carsons' of the world, and there are more of them than you might think.

#10 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 23 December 2016 - 02:01 PM

on the subject of willfull or extreme ignarance, I work on an IT Helpdesk,
yesterday someone called and appologised profusly for interupting me before mentioning that she did not know how to do something, it was rather simple and as she seemed quite disturbed that she had needed to ask for help I when through fixing the problem slowly carefully explaining what I was doing at each step, after about 20 seconds of this the user said she just wanted it working and did not need to know how to do it so instead of spending another minute carefully explaining everything and ensuring the customer understood I fixed it in a few seconds.

Today I had a call, someone had lost part of a window off the top of the screen and the [alt] [space] hot key I needed to use to bring up the menu to move it was not working from my remote session, so I asked the customer to press [alt] and [space] together, the customer asked what key is space to which I replied "the space bar the long thin key on the bottom row of the keyboard", the response I got was "I can see shift, control, alt and caps lock but no space bar", being the last working day before Christmas the helpdesk was rather quite and I could hear the other helpdesk workers taking interest in my struggeling to explain to someone what the space bar is, it ended up taking more than a minute to get the person, who has been using a computer every day for years, to understand what the space bar is.

my beleif is that while people on the whole are more knowledgable than they used to be, many are loosing basic problem solving skills

#11 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:51 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 23 December 2016 - 02:01 PM, said:

on the subject of willfull or extreme ignarance, I work on an IT Helpdesk,
yesterday someone called and appologised profusly for interupting me before mentioning that she did not know how to do something, it was rather simple and as she seemed quite disturbed that she had needed to ask for help I when through fixing the problem slowly carefully explaining what I was doing at each step, after about 20 seconds of this the user said she just wanted it working and did not need to know how to do it so instead of spending another minute carefully explaining everything and ensuring the customer understood I fixed it in a few seconds.

Today I had a call, someone had lost part of a window off the top of the screen and the [alt] [space] hot key I needed to use to bring up the menu to move it was not working from my remote session, so I asked the customer to press [alt] and [space] together, the customer asked what key is space to which I replied "the space bar the long thin key on the bottom row of the keyboard", the response I got was "I can see shift, control, alt and caps lock but no space bar", being the last working day before Christmas the helpdesk was rather quite and I could hear the other helpdesk workers taking interest in my struggeling to explain to someone what the space bar is, it ended up taking more than a minute to get the person, who has been using a computer every day for years, to understand what the space bar is.

my beleif is that while people on the whole are more knowledgable than they used to be, many are loosing basic problem solving skills

you can't tell people about the "long" bar when they probaby have stuff like these

Posted Image

while this may be not the native english keybard, I saw some here with tiny space bars too.

remember the days, when space was a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar not a key

Posted Image

Edited by Lily from animove, 02 January 2017 - 03:52 AM.

#12 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:04 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 02 January 2017 - 03:51 AM, said:

you can't tell people about the "long" bar when they probaby have stuff like these

Posted Image

while this may be not the native english keybard, I saw some here with tiny space bars too.

remember the days, when space was a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar not a key

Posted Image

it was an English persion in an office on an employer provided desktop PC, I would be extremely surprised if it was not a cheep basic UK English layout keyboard, I have asked if I can bring in a spare keyboard I have at home which would significantly improve my typing speed (we are talking a 50% increase on the buckling spring keyboards at home, the modern versions of the one you pictured at the bottom, compaired to the cheep ones at work) but I have been told I am not allowed, so it is highly unlikely that the other person would have had a keyboard which is not standard UK layout.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 02 January 2017 - 04:05 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users