Any Thoughts On What Could Be Causing This Problem?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 10 December 2016 - 12:54 PM

I can start the game client, work in the Mech Lab, wait for a Quick Play match, vote for a map ... all without any problem.

However, almost every time I try to actually connect to the match, I cannot. I either get an endless "match loading" screen that never connects to the match, or the black screen you sometimes see just before the match loading screen.

Ie. I do not get to the screen showing the two teams.

If I kill the game client, restart it, and try to rejoin the match, it usually works. But by then I'm usually dead.

---

This problem started about a week ago, after 4 years of no connection issues. I didn't change anything about my home network or PC. My PC is less than a year old and is fairly high spec.

Can anyone suggest what could be going wrong, or how to fix it?

What I've Tried So Far
Installed the non-Steam version of MWO.
Tried to connect to different (EU, NA) game servers.
Flushed my DNS cache.
Powered off/restarted all my routers.
Turned off my PC's Firewall.
Shut down every unnecessary background process on my PC.
Posted in the Patch Feedback forum.
Watched IP traffic from MWO client. Can ping all IP addresses. 5% packet loss. (Is that a lot?)

Edited by Appogee, 11 December 2016 - 12:40 AM.

#2 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 02:33 PM

*bump*

#3 razenWing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 02:39 PM

Sounds like a hardware issue to be honest. Do you have a spare graphic card to test?

Try this. Since your PC is 4 years old. Try launching another game of similar graphic capacity.

Edited by razenWing, 10 December 2016 - 02:40 PM.

#4 Snazzy Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 10 December 2016 - 03:41 PM

Have you ran the repair tool?

#5 Agent1190

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 469 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 10 December 2016 - 03:46 PM

Full screen or windowed mode?

In full screen mode, the "Loading" screen doesn't run in the same resolution as your Mech lap or the actual match. If it's not leaving the loading screen, it may be having a hard time switching to the match settings. Not sure about windowed mode...

Check your drivers - did you update them recently? Maybe roll them back to a August/September release and see if it improves.

Also, as previously suggested, if you have another video card, try it and see if the problem goes away.

Try Windowed mode if you normally run full screen (or vice versa).

Edited by Agent1190, 10 December 2016 - 03:47 PM.

#6 nitra

• Philanthropist
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 06:25 PM

5% packet loss is most likely the cause .

especially if that was from a short ping session.

you should rarely see a timeout . if you get several in a row or in quick succession thats enough to interrupt a service such as mwo.

so the question now is it your equipment ? or your route to mwo ..

start by pinging your router 192.168.x.x. most likely 1.1 or 0.1 with the command
ping 192.168.1.1 -t this will ping your router for a good bit if you see any packet loss here this needs to be fixed.
local networks should have next to 0 packet loss. and be less than 1ms or if wireless close to 1ms

now if your wireless this maybe the problem . so try a hardline . reping if your solid on pings no timeouts then most likely the wireless is the issue. most likely need to improve your your signal.

once you are sure your local pings is good its now time to see what happens when you ping google.

same command different ip

ping 8.8.8.8 -t let it go for a bit here you may get a few dropped packets, but for the most part it should also be pretty solid with ping times around 30 - 80 ms depending on your connection.

if your ping to google is good then it may be the route to mwo . could try vpn software and ping test through various locations
to see if they give you a better connection .

if your ping to google is the same with 5% packet loss might be time for a new cable/dsl/fios modem .

either way you need to get that packet loss fixed.

#7 jjm1

• Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 09:14 PM

Any packet loss is bad. Call your ISP to do a line test.

Other than that I would also suggest a full purge any antivirus/firewalls you have installed and see if they are doing it. Disabling them isn't always enough.

#8 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 11:56 PM

Thanks guys for these very useful suggestions. I REALLY appreciate it!

Edited by Appogee, 11 December 2016 - 12:13 AM.

#9 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 12:18 PM

I just wanted to say thank you again to everyone who has offered suggestions and help.

After another full day of debugging, I'm convinced the problem is routing from my ISP to the MWO game servers. I based this on:
  • installing MWO on another home PC replicated the problem (so, it's not isolated to my PC);
    and
  • accessing MWO through a VPN solved the problem.
Playing over VPN isn't a long term solution - it degrades my ping to even worse than it usual is. So I will hop on the phone to my ISP tomorrow and try to get them to do something to fix their routing.

Thanks again everyone.

Edited by Appogee, 11 December 2016 - 12:19 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users