To The Gridiron Pilot Killed By The Legged Shc On Polar: Lets Talk Tactics

5 replies to this topic

#1 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:09 AM

Not a swaggerbrag - an attempt to point out common mistakes that ought to have cinched your kill. Because chances are, you feel robbed. And because next time, maybe you'll be my teammate and it's my benefit if you get better. So let's go over what happened.

Maybe you saw me rush your TBR teammate. Maybe, if so, you assumed (fairly) that he'd kill me. Wouldn't have hurt to assist, but whatever. Maybe you saw me core his CT for the kill. You'd know then, that I had a strong volley of SRMs. You'd also know, and confirm by my shutdown, that I was riding the heat line.

But maybe you didn't see me beforehand. Right after shutdown is about when I saw you, coming over the ridge of the trench to engage me. You saw that I was legged (tbr's dying gift), and went for the other leg with your lasers and gauss - that was good.

But then you just stopped in front of me and stood there. That was bad. You know I'm legged - get around me. Don't put us on equal footing by standing still.

Because you may recall, I didn't return the favor. After shooting you (at which point, you should have been aware of the strength of my volley), I would jump and move back and forth a step. Clearly I wasn't going anywhere. But it was enough to throw off your Gauss aim, and minimize/spread your laser damage.

That's what you should have done - moved... at least a little bit. Spread out the srms, make some miss, spread the mpl damage.

It was enough to let me survive three more shutdowns and kill you. Because hunchbacks have broad torso, and at brawl range, when you stand still, srms will destroy you.

You should have waited for my shut downs (remember, i'm riding the heat scale.. if the first shutdown wasn't a tip off, the second ought to have been) to make sure you hit. You could have just gone for the cockpit. Or stayed with the leg (you started to change your aim... no good, focus on the remaining leg, it's a sure kill). But really, what you should have done is circled to my rear, where armor is weaker.

Don't stand still. My team derped the lead and scraped a 3 v 1 for a narrow victory. If you had killed me, your gauss rifle (and the panther that I tied up after that finally got me) would have been free to get the rest of my team... that may have been enough to flip the match.

So remember, keep moving. The TBR moved in a straight line, it got him killed. You didn't move at all - you lost to a multiple shutdown, legged mech. The panther kept moving, trying to circle - he avoided serious damage and got the kill.

#2 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:59 AM

I think you made a mistake of putting this in the new player forums instead of sending him a private message.

#3 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:32 AM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 12 December 2016 - 03:59 AM, said:

I think you made a mistake of putting this in the new player forums instead of sending him a private message.

I didn't catch the name. It's not like he has to acknowledge himself, and new players can benefit from this too.

#4 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:50 AM

I think, specially for new players, there's no replacement for learning and experience. How you play, mostly comes automatically.

And to learn to play well, as well as you can, you need repetition.

#5 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,676 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 13 December 2016 - 05:10 AM

And for the new players for the other side of the coin, the OP should have switched to chain fire (if he had not already), mitigating the shutdowns and allowing him to continue moving and applying damage to the hunchback instead of shutting down, making himself an easier target to hit.

#6 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 05:57 AM

yes, there were certainly mistakes made on my part; however, at that point i was behind enemy lines and legged. I would not have figured myself on lasting that long, in which case I want to do as much meaningful damage as quickly as possible - i didn't count on having more than one salvo's time (at any point).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users