• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 596 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 11 December 2016 - 03:02 AM

Hi

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or "knowledge" about if there will be any interaction between the new skilltrees and omnipods.

Some kind of 8/8 bonus or non-8/8 drawback?

Witouth anything to encourage stock-omnipods, there will definitely be some heavy boating. But will it be worse than now?

Omni heroes, champions and other boost variants, will also be an way better investment than their battlemech counterparts, if they can use any omni configuration witouth drawbacks.

Edited by NoiseCrypt, 11 December 2016 - 03:04 AM.

#2 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 11 December 2016 - 03:16 AM

View PostNoiseCrypt, on 11 December 2016 - 03:02 AM, said:

Hi

Posted Image

Honestly, I have a feeling bonuses for stock pods are disappearing. They said that underperforming mechs are getting quite in the form of base changes to the mechs themselves, which means no more 8/8 as we know it. I know I'll miss my bonuses for lore builds, that's for sure.

#3 jjm1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 03:27 AM

Yeah but people hated this So8 system back when the Viper came out.

Personally I've grown to like it. I like optimising builds based on whats available with bonuses rather than just the same old laser2win every time. It diversifies the game.

If the skill tree lets you skill up one weapon at a time at the expense of everything else, then welcome to Boat Warrior Online.

#4 Wrathful Scythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 December 2016 - 03:34 AM

Skilltree is only usable with stock 8/8 omni-pods. That will teach those filthy clanners to not min-max all the time. Posted Image

Edited by Wrathful Scythe, 11 December 2016 - 03:34 AM.

#5 NoiseCrypt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 596 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 11 December 2016 - 05:12 AM

View Postjjm1, on 11 December 2016 - 03:27 AM, said:

Yeah but people hated this So8 system back when the Viper came out.

Personally I've grown to like it. I like optimising builds based on whats available with bonuses rather than just the same old laser2win every time. It diversifies the game.

If the skill tree lets you skill up one weapon at a time at the expense of everything else, then welcome to Boat Warrior Online.

View PostWrathful Scythe, on 11 December 2016 - 03:34 AM, said:

Skilltree is only usable with stock 8/8 omni-pods. That will teach those filthy clanners to not min-max all the time. Posted Image

I really like the way that they handled quirks for the viper and omnis after that, so any benefit from minmaxing omnipods are countered ( even if its just a little) by loosing quirks.

Locking every skilltree would probably be a bit overkill. But limiting the available trees and/or limiting the depth of avaliable trees could be a good compromise.

Edited by NoiseCrypt, 11 December 2016 - 05:13 AM.

#6 Baulven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 984 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 05:37 AM

View PostWrathful Scythe, on 11 December 2016 - 03:34 AM, said:

Punishing omni mechs for existing? Fine, then I want the ability to transform my omni's into battlemechs since I am going to be locked into a configuration anyways, and I might as well be allowed to play with everything else.

And before someone tries to say something if you change the internal structure or wired in gear on an omni mechs it becomes a battlemech. So if I can't be flexible on weapons I might as well be allowed to change everything else.

#7 Bandilly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 635 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 05:47 AM

I wouldn't be surprised to see some So8 bonuses roll over. Some omnis don't need quirks and some do. We don't know exactly how quirks are being rolled over yet though. Without more information from PGI it's difficult to make any solid guesses.

#8 Cy Mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 08:09 AM

With a few exceptions, the Clan omni-Mechs get miniscule help from quirks anyway so I do not see that it is going to have any affect one way or the other on maximizing the desired weapon hardpoints. Most of the time "Set of 8" quirks are already sacrificed due to changing one or more pods.

I think the "Set of 8" was the right way to go because it forces you to make a choice as to what benefits your build the most. I expect the new Skill Tree to take that to the next level by making you chose between a lot more variables and have to make meaningful sacrifices to get some desirable gains in other areas. This will go way beyond omni-Mechs and affect all Mechs whether Clan or IS, omni or BattleMech.

#9 NoiseCrypt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 596 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 11 December 2016 - 08:51 AM

View PostBaulven, on 11 December 2016 - 05:37 AM, said:

Punishing omni mechs for existing? Fine, then I want the ability to transform my omni's into battlemechs since I am going to be locked into a configuration anyways, and I might as well be allowed to play with everything else.

And before someone tries to say something if you change the internal structure or wired in gear on an omni mechs it becomes a battlemech. So if I can't be flexible on weapons I might as well be allowed to change everything else.

I personnaly think that disabling the skilltree for non 8/8 loadouts would be way to harsh. The thing im interested in is what could be a replacement for the set of 8 quirk rules. Having a more "valuable" skilltree, because of minmaxing, on omnimechs could be really bad for game balance.

But i also think that it would be really cool if omnimechs had a battlemech option/mode alongside artemis , structure and so on. Enabling this mode would lock the stock omnipods and unlock "everything else".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users