8 replies to this topic

#1 Gentleman Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrench
  • The Wrench
  • 733 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, the land of slurpees and potholes

Posted 12 December 2016 - 09:39 AM

I've been making a document for my dream stats of every weapon, including future tech. While I'm not expecting PGI to introduce new tech anytime soon, if ever, the recent hiring of a new employee dedicated to balance and the impressive patch notes gave me a bit of hope that the infamous dartboard of balance might disappear.

I would like to know what you think of these stats and what you would change, think about their performance alone or with mixed weapon loadouts, and not with a Gauss Rifle, because that's a whole other issue that deals with other game mechanics, like torso twist rates:

PPC:
Spoiler

ERPPC:
Spoiler

Clan ERPPC:
Spoiler

Light PPC:
Spoiler

Heavy PPC:
Spoiler

Snub Nose PPC:
Spoiler

#2 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 09:41 AM

Didn't PGI try this during the Energy Draw PTS?

#3 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 09:42 AM

you Forgot the I-PPC(or C-PPC) PPC stats but -1Ton & -1Crit, (from: Interstellar Operations)
i can also tell you at +2Heat +2Cooldown, no one will use C-ERPPCs even for 13Damage,

Edit-

View Postcazidin, on 12 December 2016 - 09:41 AM, said:

Didn't PGI try this during the Energy Draw PTS?

PGI tried giving C-ERPPCs 15Damage, but that was seen as too Strong,

Edited by Andi Nagasia, 12 December 2016 - 09:48 AM.

#4 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 12 December 2016 - 09:44 AM

I'd love to see new tech for IS and any buff to IS is good, but it only further consolidates the PPFLD meta. But at this point, does it really matter?

#5 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,980 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 12 December 2016 - 09:51 AM

I think what is needed is some light Mech weapons

an AC between the MG and the AC2

and a Light weight ERPPC

I been running around with an ERPPC on my new fire starter and it does not do much but is a lot of fun

#6 Gentleman Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrench
  • The Wrench
  • 733 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 09:54 AM

View PostAndi Nagasia, on 12 December 2016 - 09:42 AM, said:

you Forgot the I-PPC(or C-PPC) PPC stats but -1Ton & -1Crit,

You're thinking of the Enhanced ERPPC, which was a middle-point between the PPC and the Clan ERPPC, it was obsolete and discontinued after the Clans upgraded the ERPPC. I'm not opposed to seeing a fictional Clan PPC to give the Clans a cooler PPC as an extra option.

PGI tried giving C-ERPPCs 15Damage, but that was seen as too Strong,

Indeed, 15 damage was far too much, although I don't understand why they ditched the idea rather than just lowering damage.

View PostSnazzy Dragon, on 12 December 2016 - 09:44 AM, said:

I'd love to see new tech for IS and any buff to IS is good, but it only further consolidates the PPFLD meta. But at this point, does it really matter?

I agree that they need to find some way to tame the PPFLD meta, my thoughts being slower torso twist rates, although that alone wouldn't fix it.

#7 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 12 December 2016 - 10:07 AM

PPCs are problematic. They have the best of both worlds between energy and ballistic, having full damage on a single point like an AC without the ammo and generally with much higher projectile velocities than the heavier AC grades (meaning higher accuracy for their damage values). They're also lighter and more compact.

My favorite approach to balancing them is to give them a different role than other weapons. If ACs are sustained DPS for relatively low heat (until their ammo runs out), and if Lasers are high heat, moderate DPS weapons that can plug in to pretty much every build (workhorse weapons, especially the ML), then PPCs (and the Gauss) should be high damage low DPS punch weapons. Their heat needs to be relatively high to limit how many can be fired at once, but their cooldown should be long enough that they'll lose over time to other weapon choices. They then become about smashing a volley into the enemy and withdrawing, dumping a lot of damage into a very small area but requiring the pilot to duck back into cover or else take more than he dished out while his weapons cycle.

The standard PPC should be analogous to an AC10, but with maybe double the cooldown time and many times the heat. ERPPCs would radically ramp up the velocity and range at the cost of a significant heat bump and a slight cooldown increase (doubling down on the design philosophy). The cERPPC would be turning an ERPPC up to 11 as it were, increasing damage at the cost of yet more heat and another bump to cooldown time.

One of the things that many players are obstinately unwilling to have happen is for weapons to be given distinct roles. They want everything to fit their particular bucket, which generally means simultaneous fire of multiple high-damage shots into a single component in as short a time as possible. Role-based weapon design would allow for that, but at a cost, one that is steep enough to allow for weapons that fill other roles to be able to exploit.

Obviously something like this would be hard to do without also making changes elsewhere, but then I've been pushing for a universal weapon overhaul for years now.

#8 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 10:12 AM

View PostGentleman Reaper, on 12 December 2016 - 09:54 AM, said:

You're thinking of the Enhanced ERPPC, which was a middle-point between the PPC and the Clan ERPPC, it was obsolete and discontinued after the Clans upgraded the ERPPC. I'm not opposed to seeing a fictional Clan PPC to give the Clans a cooler PPC as an extra option.

nope Enhanced PPCs are from Clan Wolverine,
im talking about Improved PPCs(which are a Clan Normal PPC) from CGLs Interstellar Operations,
Posted Image

I-PPC Stats=.......DMG: 10.......Heat: 10.......Range: 3/6/12/18.......Weight: 6.......Crits: 2...

Edited by Andi Nagasia, 12 December 2016 - 10:15 AM.

#9 Gentleman Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrench
  • The Wrench
  • 733 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 10:24 AM

View PostAndi Nagasia, on 12 December 2016 - 10:12 AM, said:

nope Enhanced PPCs are from Clan Wolverine,
im talking about Improved PPCs(which are a Clan Normal PPC) from CGLs Interstellar Operations,
Posted Image

I-PPC Stats=.......DMG: 10.......Heat: 10.......Range: 3/6/12/18.......Weight: 6.......Crits: 2...

Huh interesting, Sarna nor Skunkwerks mentions an Enhanced PPC, only an Enhanced ERPPC http://www.sarna.net...rojector_Cannon

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users