What Would Be A Good Clan Assault Mech?

BattleMechs Gameplay

33 replies to this topic

#1 Brenden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:22 PM

I'm about to purchase my first Clan Assault Mech, but I don't know which one! I've narrowed it down to the following;

-Kodiak
-Executioner
-Gargoyle

What I'm looking to get is something I can customize for any variety of loadouts, be it Short-Medium-or-Long range. What are yalls recommendations?

#2 GreyNovember

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:28 PM

First, why did you consider anything not a Kodiak? Any real reason?

#3 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:28 PM

Kodiak. End of discussion. It is the best.

If you got cash and wish to play CW on Clan side, then Marauder-IIC is a good purchase.

Edited by El Bandito, 18 December 2016 - 08:30 PM.

#4 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:30 PM

View PostGreyNovember, on 18 December 2016 - 08:28 PM, said:

First, why did you consider anything not a Kodiak? Any real reason?

Playing Mechwarrior 2 for so long you start to like the Gargoyle and work around it's crappy arms.
And the Executioner is the Gargoyle's weird brother who thinks it's a Light Mech and strapped Jump-Jets onto it's butt after tearing them from a still-conscious Stinger.

And because while I appreciate the Kodiak I do not want to fall into the temptation of creating an extremely Meta build.

#5 GreyNovember

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:32 PM

If you insist on maximal customization, Dire.

Less need to buy chassis but subpar.

Gargoyle and exe dont do ranged well.

#6 Snazzy Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:34 PM

Kodiak and Marauder IIC. Executioner is third because JJ+MASC niche, but prepare to suffer from subpar hitboxes.

Gargoyle is a victim of blanket clan nerfs, it was ok and never got nerfed directly but the clan laser nerfs really pounded the chassis into the ground. Coupled with bad hitboxes I really do suggest saving your c bills and never touching it in MWO until it at least gets a hitbox rework.

Edited by Snazzy Dragon, 18 December 2016 - 08:35 PM.

#7 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:36 PM

View PostSnazzy Dragon, on 18 December 2016 - 08:34 PM, said:

Kodiak and Marauder IIC. Executioner is third because JJ+MASC niche, but prepare to suffer from subpar hitboxes.

Gargoyle is a victim of blanket clan nerfs, it was ok and never got nerfed directly but the clan laser nerfs really pounded the chassis into the ground. Coupled with bad hitboxes I really do suggest saving your c bills and never touching it in MWO until it at least gets a hitbox rework.

View PostGreyNovember, on 18 December 2016 - 08:32 PM, said:

If you insist on maximal customization, Dire.

Less need to buy chassis but subpar.

Gargoyle and exe dont do ranged well.

You guys make good points, and I shall strike the Gargoyle and Executioner from my list, which leaves only the Kodiak.
Since I'm looking for a mix with this guy, it's either going to come down to the Kodiak-4 or Kodiak-3. Hmm.

#8 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:40 PM

View PostBrenden, on 18 December 2016 - 08:36 PM, said:

You guys make good points, and I shall strike the Gargoyle and Executioner from my list, which leaves only the Kodiak.
Since I'm looking for a mix with this guy, it's either going to come down to the Kodiak-4 or Kodiak-3. Hmm.

3. Hands down. 4 LB10x, 2 uac5 2uac10, 4 uac10, 2 guass 2 ppc, 4 med pulse and 4 uac5, etc. Lots of fun stuff.

#9 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:42 PM

View PostSnazzy Dragon, on 18 December 2016 - 08:40 PM, said:

3. Hands down. 4 LB10x, 2 uac5 2uac10, 4 uac10, 2 guass 2 ppc, 4 med pulse and 4 uac5, etc. Lots of fun stuff.

If I could rearrange the hardpoints, I'd get rid of the AMS and put a missile slot in there.
x2 UAC-5s, LRM-10 w/ Artemis, Two large lasers an one ER PPC

But I suppose I could go meta.

#10 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:47 PM

Mad cat mk II >.>

Regardless...Kdk is great but most clan assaults can kick some *** in the right situation.

#11 GrimRiver

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationIf not here and not there, then where?

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:52 PM

Kodiak is only good for soulless cookie cutter hyper meta builds.

So anything not a Kodiak.

I've been enjoying my EXE-D with 1xERLL, 2xUAC2's and 6xSL's.

It seems I've enjoyed it enough to get 300,000xp on it as of late.

#12 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 09:06 PM

View PostGrimRiver, on 18 December 2016 - 08:52 PM, said:

Nnnnnnnnice.

#13 Vonbach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 696 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 09:06 PM

Just get a kodiak and faceroll to victory.

#14 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,828 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 18 December 2016 - 09:16 PM

Executioner is not a bad mech to play can do 2x erppc on its shoulders and play peek and poke or poptart. Add 4-6 SPL in the arms to protect yourself from lights.

#15 QuantumButler

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,534 posts
  • LocationTaiwan, One True China

Posted 18 December 2016 - 09:20 PM

View PostGrimRiver, on 18 December 2016 - 08:52 PM, said:

The Warhawk is tons of fun actually, and it pretty decent for FW since it's relatively fast and relatively light.

#16 Random Carnage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 946 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 19 December 2016 - 01:20 AM

I'm guessing most of the posters above haven't spent much time in a KDK recently.

I parked mine. All this talk about soulless meta build and OP KDK is just crying from those that can't let go of the release week butt hurt. A lot has changed since then.

If you go KDK, just be prepared to get hit by every gun within 600m that can get a line on you as soon as you poke your nose out of cover.

120 odd CT armour will buy you about 2 seconds before you melt - and you will get focused.

#17 Karl Marlow

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 01:26 AM

Kodiak first. After that Dire wolf and Warhawk are decent. I'm hearing good things about the mad 2c as well. Executioner and Mr gargles are pretty solid skips.

Edited by Karl Marlow, 19 December 2016 - 01:26 AM.

#18 Trollfeed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 01:28 AM

View PostRandom Carnage, on 19 December 2016 - 01:20 AM, said:

I'm guessing most of the posters above haven't spent much time in a KDK recently.

I parked mine. All this talk about soulless meta build and OP KDK is just crying from those that can't let go of the release week butt hurt. A lot has changed since then.

If you go KDK, just be prepared to get hit by every gun within 600m that can get a line on you as soon as you poke your nose out of cover.

120 odd CT armour will buy you about 2 seconds before you melt - and you will get focused.

Aaaaand this is because people are starting to acknowledge that KDK-3 will murder half of your team if it's left alone, all other kodiaks suffer the same fate by proxy.

#19 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 19 December 2016 - 02:11 AM

I've been mastering my Gargoyles lately and they're really not as bad as I had thought. The Gargoyle is perhaps the worst Clan assault mech, but that doesn't say a whole lot because Clan assaults are pretty good. Any assault mech with a CXL400 engine and 6 SPLs in one arm and whatever you want in the other arm (l'm partial to the LB20X) is gonna be fine.

However, I would say that Executioners and Gargoyles don't do long range as well as other Clan mechs. And while the Dire Wolf can do 2xGauss and 2xCERPPC, it's not particularly an ideal sniper. It has really low mounted weapons and it's extremely slow to get in and out of position.

The HGN IIC is very good at long range and close range, but... it can't really do boating very well and it's hard to get the mosts out of a mech that needs to carry ballistics, energy weapons and missiles in order to get enough DPS and burst damage. It's a good mech, but not amazeballs. 2xCUAC10 in one arm is nice, but...

I'd say you're looking at the Marauder IIC or Warhawk. Both good at brawling and long range combat. Both have decent speed. The Marauder IIC can be very fast, actually. Warhawk now has some decent quirks, so it has improved durability and firepower. Warhawk is probably my favourite Clan assault mech.

I probably won't ever play the Kodiak. As others have said, the KDK-3 is easy mode and the sub-par KDKs tend to get focus fired either because people are afraid of them or because people know not to be afraid of them. For example, I just took out a KDK-2 single-handedly in my Gargoyle the other day. Didn't even hesitate. Again, my wonderful 6xSPL + LB20X build.

#20 DovisKhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 872 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 02:28 AM

Direwolf wipes the floor with anyone with it's 8 AC2 or 8 Lbx2 loadout if you position well

Kodiak is overal top performer

Marauder IIC offers the best customization and we'll see just how close it comes to Kodiak performance

IF you consider faction warfare - MAD IIC is a no brainer choice, since it's roughly the same efficiency as the Kodiak, but leaves you with 15 spare tons, so your 2nd 3rd and 4th wave mechs will all be better

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users