104 replies to this topic

#41 Aiden Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 14 December 2016 - 04:32 PM

Of all the threads I've seen here, this has got to be the dumbest idea I've ever seen proposed.

#42 NighthawK1337

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere, Terra, Asia, Philippines

Posted 14 December 2016 - 04:35 PM

Personally I'd be happy with just more info on the target like in the MW5 alpha footage where the paper doll hovered around the enemy mech. Having aimbots just doesn't feel right. Maybe if we make it so that targeting computers and command consoles offer some more info other than info gathering speed. How about target heat or ammo count or weapon cooldown, or how about specific armor values instead of just color variations on the paper doll. Either way your argument that the lore has more technological advancements could be solved better by other features that won't throw player skill out the window.

#43 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,341 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 14 December 2016 - 04:35 PM

View PostW A R K H A N, on 14 December 2016 - 04:32 PM, said:

Of all the threads I've seen here, this has got to be the dumbest idea I've ever seen proposed.

I thought the dumbest idea was PGI's proposal of 3pv that had 5000+ signatures against yet, yet they implemented it anyway.

#44 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 04:36 PM

View PostCMDR Sunset Shimmer, on 14 December 2016 - 04:29 PM, said:

nope, it was Mech3. with the Targeting Computer installed, you can do this.

I don't know about MW3...

But I still play MC2..........and it includes a feature to target specific components
Headshots for the best salvage

View PostCMDR Sunset Shimmer, on 14 December 2016 - 04:35 PM, said:

I thought the dumbest idea was PGI's proposal of 3pv that had 5000+ signatures against yet, yet they implemented it anyway.

Game design by Forum

Gotta love it Posted Image

#45 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 14 December 2016 - 04:58 PM

it exists already in Rl in guns too.

unfortunately I can't find the vid where a guy is using one for hunting boars form a helicopter.

#46 -Rasalom-

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:10 PM

Good replies by some..

To further the idea... I don't mean like an auto aim where the computer does it all for you... I mean more of a smart lock on, where say the pilot could target a component (arm/ shoulder/ knee/ head/ whatever) and then key a lock on feature so that they can turn and look at other things (like where the hell he's going for one) and still have the target locked on and be able to fire (if arm mounted weapons, or if the mech head actual swiveled and wasn't fixed to the torso)...

So they could let you continue to fight until you lost your target, then the lock would need to be reapplied/ reaquired in some way (if it remembered locks per mech or was a one time thing per sighting)... It would be nice to be able to blow a mech's arm off at the elbow instead of the whole thing falling off... or taking out a knee joint and having the leg lock up (but still be usable).... things like that.

#47 VitriolicViolet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 592 posts
  • LocationAustralia, Melbourne

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:26 PM

it would be a massive buff to mechs with hand/lower actuators (and hardpoints in the arms) and a big disadvantage to any mech that didnt (rifleman, kingcrab etc). Also would reduce TTK.

I like the idea of targeting joints and such but that would necessitate extra components per mech (like 15 instead of 5) which would probably be hard for PGI (considering).

#48 -Rasalom-

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:36 PM

View PostVitriolicViolet, on 14 December 2016 - 07:26 PM, said:

it would be a massive buff to mechs with hand/lower actuators (and hardpoints in the arms) and a big disadvantage to any mech that didnt (rifleman, kingcrab etc). Also would reduce TTK.

I like the idea of targeting joints and such but that would necessitate extra components per mech (like 15 instead of 5) which would probably be hard for PGI (considering).

But there could be trade offs (like already exist in game)... if you can move your arms to target without facing, you run greater risk of losing weapon systems when your arms get blown off. Or if your mech doesn't have "arms" per say, they could be more armored/ weigh less as a compensation for not needing all the servos/ actuators to move them like arms.

#49 Wiley Coyote

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 08:10 PM

View PostSal Roma, on 14 December 2016 - 07:10 PM, said:

To further the idea... I don't mean like an auto aim where the computer does it all for you... I mean more of a smart lock on, where say the pilot could target a component (arm/ shoulder/ knee/ head/ whatever) and then key a lock on feature so that they can turn and look at other things (like where the hell he's going for one) and still have the target locked on and be able to fire (if arm mounted weapons, or if the mech head actual swiveled and wasn't fixed to the torso)...

How does "smart lock on" not equal "auto aim"? Pilot selects component on enemy mech, computer holds lock and tracks it (automatically) with whatever weapons it can, pilot pulls trigger as needed while reading IS Gazette or organizing his glove compartment with his free hand. All he needs to do is keep the enemy somewhere is his field of fire for his tracking weapons to hit. Still sounds like aiming automatically to me. Boom, headshot! Every time with programmable component selection.

#50 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 14 December 2016 - 08:36 PM

View PostWiley Coyote, on 14 December 2016 - 08:10 PM, said:

organizing his glove compartment with his free hand.

Posted Image

#51 GreyNovember

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 08:42 PM

View PostSal Roma, on 14 December 2016 - 07:10 PM, said:

Good replies by some..
So they could let you continue to fight until you lost your target, then the lock would need to be reapplied/ reaquired in some way (if it remembered locks per mech or was a one time thing per sighting)... It would be nice to be able to blow a mech's arm off at the elbow instead of the whole thing falling off... or taking out a knee joint and having the leg lock up (but still be usable).... things like that.

This is actuator targeting. Which is an RNG chance because that's how this game was set up.

I'd have been fine with that particular component being highlighted to stand out, so I know what hitboxes I'm supposed to be shooting.

#52 fat4eyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 491 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 09:07 PM

View PostMole, on 14 December 2016 - 12:20 PM, said:

Real life computers like this are basically why a fight between something like a Russian T-14 and an M1 Abrams would basically boil down to who spotted the other one first and made the first shot.

And that's why real life combat (especially real-life modern warfare) makes for boring games. There's a reason all air/space-combat games still fly like WW2 (and to a lesser extent with tank/vehicle games): because it's no fun otherwise.

In the end this is still a game, and if it's not fun noone will play it. Gameplay trumps everything else, be it 'realism' or even 'lore'.

Edited by fat4eyes, 14 December 2016 - 09:10 PM.

#53 -Rasalom-

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 06:18 AM

View PostWiley Coyote, on 14 December 2016 - 08:10 PM, said:

How does "smart lock on" not equal "auto aim"? Pilot selects component on enemy mech, computer holds lock and tracks it (automatically) with whatever weapons it can, pilot pulls trigger as needed while reading IS Gazette or organizing his glove compartment with his free hand. All he needs to do is keep the enemy somewhere is his field of fire for his tracking weapons to hit. Still sounds like aiming automatically to me. Boom, headshot! Every time with programmable component selection.

Well, you can break LoS after all.. and having this in game would allow the devs to give ECM type of countermeasures to mechs to mess with targetting. (shorten duration/ range, fuzzy locks. If someone targets your head, and you torso twist, if your shoulder breaks LoS with your head, you could lose lock)...

#54 Steinar Bergstol

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 15 December 2016 - 06:38 AM

There's also the fact that, apparently, the battlefields of the 31st century are so rife with various automated ecm systems, counter ecm systems, counter-counter ecm systems and so on and so forth that it all cancels itself out, leading to the mark 1 eyeball being more reliable than a seriously confused targeting computer. Basically the battlefields are apparently a screaming mess of electronic interference which requires the big computers and ridiculously powerful comsystems we have to start with just to function at all, and that's before we add more advanced stuff like BAP and Guardian ECM which is another kettle of fish entirely.

Can't quite remember _where_ i read that information however. It was years and years ago.

#55 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 15 December 2016 - 07:08 AM

View PostSteinar Bergstol, on 15 December 2016 - 06:38 AM, said:

There's also the fact that, apparently, the battlefields of the 31st century are so rife with various automated ecm systems, counter ecm systems, counter-counter ecm systems and so on and so forth that it all cancels itself out, leading to the mark 1 eyeball being more reliable than a seriously confused targeting computer. Basically the battlefields are apparently a screaming mess of electronic interference which requires the big computers and ridiculously powerful comsystems we have to start with just to function at all, and that's before we add more advanced stuff like BAP and Guardian ECM which is another kettle of fish entirely.

Can't quite remember _where_ i read that information however. It was years and years ago.

This reminds me of one time a Navy Blackhawk (Or I guess the Navy calls their Blackhawks, Seahawks?) flew low over my car once. So low I could see the door gunners on their guns. No idea what they were doing but I had a radar detector in my car and when that helicopter flew over it just went nuts.

#56 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 15 December 2016 - 07:42 AM

If you have ever been in the competetive shooter game then you know aiming is not just about mouse movement. It's about mech movement and lining up the crosshairs with your wsad keys. I feel I should make a tutorial about this.

I feel these people are the same people crying "clan op" asking for aimbot.. get a job and save up for better computer hardware? I can not believe people want aimbot. Watch out pgi possible hackers / exploits users incoming.

Use your wsad keys and map awareness.. turn down your mouse setting in game. I use .32 with 800 dpi 500 polling rate. Standard cs go pro settings before they came out with crazy good computers which can actually keep up with mouse acceleration accurately.

Experiment and realize every mech seems to be different when it comes to torso twist and mech turning rates. Adapt and figure out what works for you.

Stop trying to take the easy way out and aim to get better.

Edited by Natred, 15 December 2016 - 07:49 AM.

#57 Tamwulf

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 51 posts
  • LocationVancouver, WA

Posted 15 December 2016 - 08:35 AM

In the Battletech Card Game, there was a tech upgrade card, "Targeting Computer Retrofit" that had a great quote at the bottom:

You know, for five tons, I would expect more than 256 colors.
- Star Commander Jos, 1st Wolf Legion

http://www.sarna.net...dersEdition.jpg

#58 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 08:44 AM

You want auto aim but can't find it in the game?

Fear not!

You just need the right weapon system and that is... Streak SRMs!

Yes, you heard it right, this weapon, once locked onto an enemy mech will aim itself on the target, no missed shots anymore!

And there is more! You can target specific components with it! Actually the system is so advanced, it does that for you, no need to do anything! Sure, the system may prioritise some components other than you would... but that is a small price for this fantastic aim bot!

#59 Frack the System

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 56 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 15 December 2016 - 08:45 AM

People like you dear Sal Roma remind me of this old but GOLD video:

LORD FRACK
ggfacepalm

#60 Graugger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 765 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 08:47 AM

Topic has been reported for being a real issue that needs buried under bureaucratic hush hush.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users