#1 Yellonet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 19 December 2016 - 02:59 PM

Hello,

If you're reading this it means that you want some tips on how to become a successful MWO player, and by successful I mean having a positive win/loss ratio as well as a positive kill/death ratio. The following tips will work well all the way up into Tier 1.

So, how do you achieve success? Godlike aim? Masterful coordination of team assets?
No.
Forget that stuff, you don't need to have good aim at all and you don't have to be any kind of battle commander. Actually you don't even have to care what anyone says to you in the game and you don't have to communicate with your team mates.
Sound good? Read on!

I'll list a few rules that if followed will net you long term success in MWO.
This guide is all about YOU getting what YOU deserve.
Remember that there is no I in team, so don't worry about the team.

1. Stay alive
Yes, it may sound obvious but the longer you stay alive in a match the larger your chance to get kills and good score gets.
The key to staying alive is to be the grey mech, to blend in, to not attract attention.
This can be done in several ways, but the most consistent way is to always stay just behind or in the middle of a cluster of team mates.
Adhering to this rule will also make your mech harder to hit and your team mates will soak up most of the incoming fire while at the same time firing back at the enemy.
Don't worry about staying too close behind friendlies, the closer you are the more cover you have, and making it difficult for friendlies to back away makes them shoot the enemy for longer.
When the dust settles your mech is likely quite fresh and you can finish off damaged enemy mechs.

2. Manage your heat
Overheating is bad as it will shut down your mech making you an easy target for the enemies.
The way to avoid this is to not use your weapons very much, and this also ties in well with the first rule. When you are in the group you don't have to shoot very much as you team mates will do that for you. Save your heat until the enemy is damaged enough that you feel confident that you can destroy them.

3. Be fast
Don't be in a slow mech. Consider always having a mech that can go at least 80 kph as this will allow you do not get left behind and will allow you to stay with a group as per rule 1 as much as possible. A high speed will also allow you to quickly put friendly mechs between you and the enemy as the battle shifts during the match.

4. Don't be a hero
That's right. Don't be a hero, i.e. don't take any risks that you don't have to.
Never be the first mech in a new area or over a ridge and don't pick a fight with non engaged enemy mechs as this will only draw attention to you. Remember that you want to be the grey mech that nobody takes notice of until it's too late. Only fire on a mech that a team mate in front of you is firing at. In most situations the enemy will fire back at the closes mech - don't let that be you!

That's pretty much it.
Use your skill and cunning to make good use of your team and be ready to reap the rewards at the end.
Of course this is no guarantee that you will always do well, sometimes your team just dies too fast before they can soften up the enemies for you.
But as mentioned, if you adhere to these rules over a period of time, it will give you long term success.

Now get out there and use what you've learned.

- o7 Mechwarrior!

#2 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 19 December 2016 - 03:04 PM

Survival of the chickenest. Quite a few play by this rule. Some even try to be annoyingly so like this morning when I played a couple matches, team mates standing watching me fight 4 enemy and not helping.

On the bright side there are good players out there and survival of the chickenest does not rule everyone.

#3 Vonbach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 696 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 03:05 PM

Play clans.

#4 jss78

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 19 December 2016 - 03:30 PM

I think situational awareness, reading the minimap, and being that "gray mech" who's not the obvious target for enemy fire, is good advice for a new player. Everything else is kind of secondary to good positioning.

This is still how I play mediums most of the time (though some 'mechs like brawler Wolverines throw me in a completely different, aggressive mindset).

The problem is when all the assaults and heavies want to be that grey guy. Posted Image

#5 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 19 December 2016 - 03:54 PM

You forgot the most important one:

Shoot robots

It doesn't matter what the objective is, it's almost always better to kill the other team first.

#6 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 19 December 2016 - 03:55 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 19 December 2016 - 03:04 PM, said:

Survival of the chickenest. Quite a few play by this rule. Some even try to be annoyingly so like this morning when I played a couple matches, team mates standing watching me fight 4 enemy and not helping.

On the bright side there are good players out there and survival of the chickenest does not rule everyone.

This is a help thread, not a whine thread.

Please go to the Daily whine with your drivel.

My 2 cents, PRACTICE HOLDING LASERS ON TARGET!

Thats the one major difference with this FPS and others, we have weapons that have durations some very long. So while being a top PPFLD master race PC goon is nice, if you run some LPL's or something you will wish you learned to shoot and scoot with them before the match starts.

and my 3rd cent (:P) keep moving! Never stop, standing still is death from 80% of the mechs in this game.

Edited by Revis Volek, 19 December 2016 - 03:57 PM.

#7 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:17 PM

Slower way to get good is to play a lot of solo-q.

Faster way to do it is to join a unit and do group drops. You will get your arse kicked but you learn the important fundamentals real fast.

#8 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:24 PM

Oooooooooooor, you just play Mist Lynx. Non. Stop.

#9 fat4eyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 491 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 10:07 PM

All this is actually good advice for light and medium mechs. Not so much for heavies and especially assaults. Someone has to take damage and do it intelligently, else the entire team is taken apart one by one.

#10 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 10:33 PM

aim is pretty inportant
good aim = less heat, ammo, armour chewed up

The OP said positive Win ratio so.......
Think of it as your doing it for ......

.......Da TeaM, Daa Team, for the Team

I understand the OP in some regards
I mean how many times have I tried to be the Hero and have been let down
HEAPS
Heap anD HEAPS
THis way you giuz get let down and we win the game instead of lose

Sounds good to me

Of course this only applies when the skies darken wid derp, can feel it in my bones

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 19 December 2016 - 10:40 PM.

#11 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 19 December 2016 - 10:40 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 19 December 2016 - 08:24 PM, said:

Oooooooooooor, you just play Mist Lynx. Non. Stop.

It takes a certain kind of player to be a Lynx pilot. Not every player can handle it. Some crack. They can't take it. They walk away and give up on MWO forever.

#12 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 10:47 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 19 December 2016 - 10:40 PM, said:

It takes a certain kind of player to be a Lynx pilot. Not every player can handle it. Some crack. They can't take it. They walk away and give up on MWO forever.

Good. Higher quality competition for those of us who remain! :P

#13 The Unstoppable Puggernaut

• The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 19 December 2016 - 11:54 PM

I have a feeling the Myst Lynx will be the first mech to be banned rather than nerfed.

People say don't chase the squirrel but that's more of an ant :)

#14 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 December 2016 - 12:03 AM

For me this game is about blowing up robots (yeah mechs) be they mine or the enemies (preferably), so i like to be in the thick of the action generally. Not boringly watch the game from afar.

#15 Wil McCullough

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 12:09 AM

View PostAce Selin, on 20 December 2016 - 12:03 AM, said:

For me this game is about blowing up robots (yeah mechs) be they mine or the enemies (preferably), so i like to be in the thick of the action generally. Not boringly watch the game from afar.

"lurmboat here. pls hold locks."

#16 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 12:12 AM

If you can't shoot enemies that are engaging your teammates from your current position, move to a new position where you can shoot the enemies.

Don't exchange fire in a frontal slugging match with massed enemies. This will almost always result in you taking far more damage than done to the enemy.

Don't poke to shoot at enemies when you will take massed fire before you can return to cover.

#17 Albino Boo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 281 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 12:17 AM

Move and shoot, do that in QP and you will win than you lose.

#18 Beaching Betty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 710 posts
  • Location-

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:19 AM

I don't know if you're trolling or just dumb..

But your first tip

Don't worry about staying too close behind friendlies, the closer you are the more cover you have, and making it difficult for friendlies to back away makes them shoot the enemy for longer.

If you're trolling, fine.. If you're just that dumb, don't play this game anymore. You could've said something more easier like Always block your teammate so they will die first instead of you rather than what you said above

#19 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:30 AM

View PostYellonet, on 19 December 2016 - 02:59 PM, said:

1. Stay alive
Yes, it may sound obvious but the longer you stay alive in a match the larger your chance to get kills and good score gets.
The key to staying alive is to be the grey mech, to blend in, to not attract attention.
This can be done in several ways, but the most consistent way is to always stay just behind or in the middle of a cluster of team mates.
Adhering to this rule will also make your mech harder to hit and your team mates will soak up most of the incoming fire while at the same time firing back at the enemy.
When the dust settles your mech is likely quite fresh and you can finish off damaged enemy mechs.

You can just stay alive while shutting down in some undisclosed location in the map, woot! SUCESS!!!

3. Be fast
Don't be in a slow mech. Consider always having a mech that can go at least 80 kph as this will allow you do not get left behind and will allow you to stay with a group as per rule 1 as much as possible. A high speed will also allow you to quickly put friendly mechs between you and the enemy as the battle shifts during the match.

Not really necessary, other mechs though fast, may not equip enough firepower. In coordinated pushes, a tank with lot of firepower, though slow, is a massive boon. 80 kph is pretty to look at, but dead mechs as soon as you stepped in front of them can be even more attractive.

4. Don't be a hero
That's right. Don't be a hero, i.e. don't take any risks that you don't have to.
Never be the first mech in a new area or over a ridge and don't pick a fight with non engaged enemy mechs as this will only draw attention to you. Remember that you want to be the grey mech that nobody takes notice of until it's too late. Only fire on a mech that a team mate in front of you is firing at. In most situations the enemy will fire back at the closes mech - don't let that be you!

Oh, so nobody should scout. Nobody should spearhead and take one for the team so they could complete the objective, or to make a successful push. Wow, i never thought of it that way, thanks!

That's pretty much it.
Use your skill and cunning to make good use of your team and be ready to reap the rewards at the end.
Of course this is no guarantee that you will always do well, sometimes your team just dies too fast before they can soften up the enemies for you.
But as mentioned, if you adhere to these rules over a period of time, it will give you long term success.

Now get out there and use what you've learned.

- o7 Mechwarrior!

I wouldn't call a selfish surviving potato successful, because if they did adhere to your tips strictly -- with exception of the overheating part. As "good" as you can be, a 12 v 1 would not be pretty, likewise an 11 v 12 is just a **** move.

Your tip is more of how to survive, not how to be a valuable teammate.

#20 Yellonet

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 20 December 2016 - 03:28 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 20 December 2016 - 01:30 AM, said:

You can just stay alive while shutting down in some undisclosed location in the map, woot! SUCESS!!!
No, that's not success because that will likely just make you die in the end or not get kills.

Not really necessary, other mechs though fast, may not equip enough firepower. In coordinated pushes, a tank with lot of firepower, though slow, is a massive boon. 80 kph is pretty to look at, but dead mechs as soon as you stepped in front of them can be even more attractive.
In a slow mech you will be easier to single out and therefore you will become a more likely target, something that should be avoided. The key to success without great aim and other skills is to survive by using your team as a shield and when the time is right and the enemy is weak you strike.

Oh, so nobody should scout. Nobody should spearhead and take one for the team so they could complete the objective, or to make a successful push. Wow, i never thought of it that way, thanks!
Someone should, just not let that someone be you!

I wouldn't call a selfish surviving potato successful, because if they did adhere to your tips strictly -- with exception of the overheating part. As "good" as you can be, a 12 v 1 would not be pretty, likewise an 11 v 12 is just a **** move.
By the end of the match when the enemy has been severely weakened by your team you have a good chance to get a few easy kills = success.

Your tip is more of how to survive, not how to be a valuable teammate.
Exactly. As we know, this game is more about the individual players than the team, so screw the team.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users