Hunchback Iic Ballistic Advice

11 replies to this topic

#1 Bassie

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 04:46 PM

I'm working my way through the hunchback IIC's and wow, these guys are fragile. But they do pack a punch. I'm reasonably confident with the missile and energy variants, but struggling a bit with the ballistics one (thought that would be the easiest!)
I am finding that the fragility of this mech means it does not belong in a brawl, so my original plan for a uac20 & 4spl mech isn't working. Maybe I need practice, but at range, the uac 5/10 seem to jam a heap, and I miss more than I'm proud of. I've tried the double gauss, and while I got my first headshot in about 3 years of playing, I find the the small engine size (to make space for the heavy gauss rifles) makes it slow and vulnerable, and my performance was not so great. Also, only 1 module slot is annoying - want both radar derp and advanced zoom.

Thinking of running 'standard' ac's or lbx ace but as I don't actually own them am not sure how they'd go.

I note that maybe this is a skill thing. The chassis is powerful but unforgiving. But I'd appreciate any advice you might have! I

#2 Drogo-MA

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 44 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:33 AM

I find the Ultra AC 10 is quite good with a 4x Zoom. That helps play a bit more with the sniper aspect and also helps stay longer on the field. Also try not to go alone with the mech. Be around the heavies to Assault and you will live longer. I like the Gauss build aspect but I really don't like how it fires. Any way keep at it and you'll learn to love the mech. It's pretty solid.

#3 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 December 2016 - 07:05 AM

I suggest keeping the double UAC-20s and learning to use them. I struggled a lot with that variant as well, but I was really happy once I finally got it working. Yes it is fragile because you need to reduce armor to provide enough ammo, but you can really pull 400-500 damage matches regularly in it.

Try making sure that you are engage more as a secondary attacker than primary. If you are leading a push or shooting at mechs who are not distracted by something else, you will be punished. But if you wait for them to focus on an ally or catch them from the side, you can really scare them badly and take out components. Learning to play to make these mechs effective even helped me improve my fighting with much larger assaults because it forced me to learn patience and positioning that applies to slower, easier to hit targets.

#4 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 07:23 AM

I run a dual gauss with a 225XL, 6 tons of ammo, 78km/h

and sometimes

Quad UAC2 with a 275XL and 6 Tonnes of ammo

They make good hill humping snipers

#5 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 20 December 2016 - 07:29 AM

Xl 255 2 uac 10 2 medium lasers. You do not need a zoom because your going to be shooting at stuff less then 500 meters. Stick with radar deprivation and sciescmic/target decay. There is a 6 uac 2 build that I hear works but wanting to look at a target to long will put you in trouble. Better to pop out of cover shoot 2 volleys and the mediums.. then back to cover.

#6 banana peel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 136 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:05 AM

Quad uac2, XL255, one jj, as much ammo as you can afford (i do 8 tons, stripping some from legs). I own all free types of hunchie IIC for a while now and can honestly say that right now it's the strongest build across the board, at least for me. In FW this baby pulls 2/3-3/4 of damage that i do in KDK-3.
It was already pretty good with its precise 2000 velocity 8 dmg shots, but now, after the uac2 buff, four of them make more dps than two uac10.

#7 Flak Kannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 581 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 05:29 PM

Hi Bass,

Yep.

You nailed it. FRAGILE> >> as F@#$.

I have recently had to completely alter my personal play style. The Dakka style is a TRUE rear Assault style. You need to almost never be the one being fired up 1st.

Use the ridges and just barley peek over and dakka.

My best result are:

(1) uAC10
(1) uAC5
(2) Medium Lasers.
XL255.

I just got all 4 of my hunchies basic'ed, and the dual uAC5 Quad ML, and the one listed above were quite the challenge due to how FRAGILE these darn things are. No Brawling at all.

I like a challenge. Once I figured them out, not uncommon to get 500-700 damage and 2-4 kills, just gotta not die early to the massive alphas on the battlefield.

Many above seem to favor weapons over speed. I am in the other camp. Give me a xl275 or a xl255 so I can move away well enough to continue the fight.

Enjoi

Edited by Flak Kannon, 21 December 2016 - 05:32 PM.

#8 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 01 January 2017 - 08:13 AM

Double UAC10. Strip the arms, and consider SPLas, ERSLas, or ERMLas in the CT. I run an analogous Huntsman build, and it is rare that it does not print damage.

The idea is you utilize that 600 meter range, and stick to cover. Exploit those high hardpoints, and pace your doubletaps. Click-click, pause, click-click, pause. If it double jams, simply get into cover or re-position until they unlock. If forced to go face to face, however, try not to doubletap unless necessary. Consistent lower damage output in a face off is better than a very short spike of damage, but a long period of lockout, because odds are fate will be a ***** and lock you out when you need the damage output the most.

You support the heavier mechs with your firepower, not your armor. Get in the mindset of a tank destroyer.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 01 January 2017 - 08:20 AM.

#9 BigFatGator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 265 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 08:22 AM

The 2UAC10 builds for this thing are borderline OP for a medium.

Use at least a 255 engine. Speed is your protection. Don't trade. Poke out, doubletap, twist & cover. Hit mechs already trading with a teammate. Stay small, stay fast, be the sudden 40 pts of damage no one sees coming.

Brawling will get you some damage scores and maybe a kill but your mech will be too f'ed up to be effective after that.

Edited by BigFatGator, 01 January 2017 - 08:22 AM.

#10 JudauAshta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 264 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:24 AM

well duh hunchy clan variant is the ultimate glass cannon.

i feel uac20 has ammo problems, so i use dual uac10s with back med lasers.

#11 Vlad Striker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:26 AM

2x10UAC 2cERML are optimal for Prime variant.

#12 hordes1ayer2

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 88 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:21 PM

OK I currently own the standard IIC. My best games have been with AC2s. The 4 UAC2 trumps the 4 AC2 in DPS but if you dont like UACs do AC. There is also 4 LB2s. Put them on chain fire with a LB2 cool down 4 or 5 and you will have a continuous stream of bullets, Message me if you have any questions.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users