52 replies to this topic

#41 adamts01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 23 December 2016 - 02:59 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 23 December 2016 - 02:25 AM, said:

I didn't actually expect most of that to get implemented, since the original premise of the topic is "wild wishes".. But you make some good points.

There are plenty of things that would make this game epic, you listed many, but like you said, it's for a different game at this point. Everything I listed could easily be fixed though. It's not just my little idea of what the game should be either, it's the consensus of the community, pretty much every person on the planet except Russ, the whole damn planet. A PSR that doesn't trend upwards for example. Just change a few numbers in your spreadsheet...... you just solved match maker. The PSR rating system we have is pretty good, the first month since it was released is proof of that, but those participation ranks started showing up and now we have the potato lottery. They've already spent the time and money to program some other things that would really enhance the game. Variable radar signature for example, they've programmed it. The game revolves around pinpoint direct fire, so it probably wouldn't even be noticed by most the population, who doesn't press "r" anyway, but it would make all the difference in the world for those who try to eek out a life as a non-meta ninja. Everything would be so much better if Russ would just let someone who knows the game and the community take over, he's just too stubborn and unimaginative to get it right.

#42 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 09:23 AM

I didn't actually expect most of that to get implemented, since the original premise of the topic is "wild wishes".. But you make some good points.

Not everything that I stated could be implemented into the game without complete feature redesigns.. and that's one of the core problems of this game - it was designed with key features and design logic missing from the start.. too hard to fix it now..

In my humble opinion, I hope they make all those mistakes better in MW5 or if they ever dare to make MWO2..

And by then.. a boy can make wild wishes of the game that should have been.. Posted Image

I know why I didn't like the original R&R system.. bad pricing.. you could not make enough money to fix your mechs and have money left over..

If they tweak the pricing, R&R would be good..

P.S.

I think the Battle Value system from Table Top would be a good thing.. probably alot more balanced than what we have now..

Well the core game features were fine, more or less, at the start of the game from what I've been able to gather, then, just like with TT, the Clans came along and royally screwed s*** up.

So as far as MW5:M goes, they've already fixed one major problem by not including the Clans.

I never actually experienced the MWO R&R system, but I've experienced the World of Tanks and World of Warships R&R systems.

World of Warships just recently made a major change to their R&R system, where instead of it being dynamic based on how much damage you took and how much ammo you fired during the match, now it's a flat fee based on the tier and design of your ship.

i.e. a Tier 3 Battleship would pay considerably less of a service fee than say a Tier 9 Battleship.

It's actually made it possible to earn a bit better at the higher tiers, but you still need to have Premium Time going, and be an above average player.

The big problem I have as far as R&R goes here in MWO, in terms of lore, Merc units often got paid between tens of millions and hundreds of millions of C-bills depending on what their contract had them doing.

Trying to do that in just a straight up shoot 'em up team/free-for-all death match game doesn't really work.

#43 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 24 December 2016 - 06:49 PM

If they tweak the pricing, R&R would be good..

View PostAlan Davion, on 23 December 2016 - 09:23 AM, said:

World of Warships just recently made a major change to their R&R system, where instead of it being dynamic based on how much damage you took and how much ammo you fired during the match, now it's a flat fee based on the tier and design of your ship.

I've never played Warships, but I've listened in to my friends who play it on Discord and it's enough to make me never consider it. Having a tier-based R&R sounds interesting, it would give a good reason to take a light, but that would prove that lights are second class citizens. It would also pretty much be a tax on income, which is lame. Any kind of R&R in quickplay I'm strictly against, as there's too much hiding going on already. I think it's a great concept for sandbox games, but not for something as simple as MWO.

#44 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 06:58 PM

View Postadamts01, on 24 December 2016 - 06:49 PM, said:

I've never played Warships, but I've listened in to my friends who play it on Discord and it's enough to make me never consider it. Having a tier-based R&R sounds interesting, it would give a good reason to take a light, but that would prove that lights are second class citizens. It would also pretty much be a tax on income, which is lame. Any kind of R&R in quickplay I'm strictly against, as there's too much hiding going on already. I think it's a great concept for sandbox games, but not for something as simple as MWO.

I'm sure MW5:M will have an R&R system, just like the upcoming HBS BT game, and I'm sure they'll be better suited to those games since you'll probably be able to negotiate for higher pay rates to ensure you'll always have some cash on hand.

Hell the old Mechwarrior game on the SNES allowed you to negotiate for higher pay. I don't think any other BT or MW game ever allowed you to negotiate for higher pay did they?

#45 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 24 December 2016 - 07:12 PM

View PostAlan Davion, on 24 December 2016 - 06:58 PM, said:

MW5:M

My stomach still knots up when I think about PGI making another Mechwarrior game.

#46 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 08:29 PM

View Postadamts01, on 24 December 2016 - 07:12 PM, said:

My stomach still knots up when I think about PGI making another Mechwarrior game.

Well when you consider their "original" goal was to make a single player game, i.e. the reboot trailer that HG threw a s***-fit over, which forced PGI to basically start over from scratch, it's pretty obvious they had to massively delay any plans for a single player game.

Taking what they'd built up with MWO over the last few years, they've got probably 90% of the required assets already at hand, all they have to really do now is make better maps for MW5:M than they have for MWO.

#47 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 24 December 2016 - 09:14 PM

View PostAlan Davion, on 24 December 2016 - 08:29 PM, said:

Well when you consider their "original" goal was to make a single player game, i.e. the reboot trailer that HG threw a s***-fit over, which forced PGI to basically start over from scratch, it's pretty obvious they had to massively delay any plans for a single player game.

Taking what they'd built up with MWO over the last few years, they've got probably 90% of the required assets already at hand, all they have to really do now is make better maps for MW5:M than they have for MWO.
I just don't trust them to do a good job of it, based on how they've handled this game. Just some examples: CW is basically tower defense. They managed to make the Atlas not scary. They've pretty much obsoleted lights. They haven't even decided if lights should be equal to assaults (quickplay) or lights should be the weakest class (CW). They thought the Long Tom was a good idea. Ghost Heat...... followed by Ghost Damage and now Ghost Heat 2.0. And all along they've catered to CoD kids instead of Battletech fans. This game really is a mess, and it's depressing the franchise is going to be locked down by them for another generation of the game.

#48 FireStoat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 10:15 PM

View PostJaeger Gonzo, on 20 December 2016 - 06:07 AM, said:

Game just need 3025 Stock Mode.

Allow for addition or subtraction of armor, heat sinks, and ammo for the stock 3025 mech variants and you gotta deal.

#49 Oldbob10025

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 831 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOldfolks home

Posted 24 December 2016 - 10:34 PM

View PostLily from animove, on 20 December 2016 - 06:54 AM, said:

we should make some 2025 clanemchs, so just usual clanmechs with shs and some wepaons of the is I don't like most IS mechs designs, The emchs I like from MW3 were allc lnemchs, and there except of the ES and FF = 7 slots thingy was no differenc ebetween is and clanemch. In fact bakc then I didn't even knew about IS and clans as the game enver explained the lore much and I just playe stompy robot missions. But the Adder, Nova, Timber, Mad dog and Supernova and annihilator were jst the mechs I liked.visually.

WHAT?

#50 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 24 December 2016 - 10:41 PM

View PostOldbob10025, on 24 December 2016 - 10:34 PM, said:

WHAT?

Isn't it obvious? He wants the Clans to be formed by 2025 IRL, with proper mechs setup for combat. I call dibs on being the RL Clan Diamond Shark Khan!

#51 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 27 December 2016 - 03:13 AM

View Postadamts01, on 24 December 2016 - 09:14 PM, said:

I just don't trust them to do a good job of it, based on how they've handled this game. Just some examples: CW is basically tower defense. They managed to make the Atlas not scary. They've pretty much obsoleted lights. They haven't even decided if lights should be equal to assaults (quickplay) or lights should be the weakest class (CW). They thought the Long Tom was a good idea. Ghost Heat...... followed by Ghost Damage and now Ghost Heat 2.0. And all along they've catered to CoD kids instead of Battletech fans. This game really is a mess, and it's depressing the franchise is going to be locked down by them for another generation of the game.

I actually think they WILL do a good job, since most of MWO's problems come from the game's MMO nature.. When you have to balance a game of real people Vs. real people, it's a whole different shtick than PVE..

And it's not that difficult to come up with a good story.. especially in a setting as rich as BT..

Map making will probably have a completely different take, since the maps won't need to be "arenas", so they will be able to make realistic maps for realistic objectives. Easy to do a map for a fortified base somewhere in the mountains when you don't need to worry about people crying and whining that "one side has an advantage" or some other such bullshait..

When you think about it.. MWO's biggest problem is "the human element".. everything needs to be balanced and fair..

in a PVE game, it does not. It can be asymmetric as hell, and heavily weighted for the A.I., and you, the player, will giggle with glee, cose' the game is "challenging"..

So I think they will do good.. as soon as they do their own thing.. and make a PVE game..

#52 Maker L106

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 250 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 07:50 AM

View PostAlan Davion, on 21 December 2016 - 06:29 AM, said:

5, absolutely never going to happen. PGI tried the 12 IS vs 10 Clan shortly after the Clans were introduced and it completely and utterly f***ed the Match Maker system, giving you 12v4, 12v6, 12v8 or 12v12, never the 12v10. The best we could ever hope for would be a completely top to bottom mech/weapon/tech stat reset where they introduce an actual BV system where everything from AMS to XL engines determines a mechs point cost like in Table Top. The BV system could then be implemented in CW/FW where each side or drop deck has a set BV pool.

Game goes "Oh, you want to bring in your fully optimized laser vomit Timber Wolf? Okay, you just spent 5000 of your BV points, you now have X number of points left to spend." This would likely force people into bringing some less than optimal builds into the game in order to save for the 1 or 2 fully optimized builds they really want.

That would probably be as close as you'd get to a balanced system.

Holy ****, that was a thing!? Never happen I know, but damn... that... yes. that.

View PostRestosIII, on 24 December 2016 - 10:41 PM, said:

Isn't it obvious? He wants the Clans to be formed by 2025 IRL, with proper mechs setup for combat. I call dibs on being the RL Clan Diamond Shark Khan!

Dibs on Jade Falcon, we'll get that bird something better than a Katana.

Edited by Maker L106, 27 December 2016 - 07:51 AM.

#53 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 08:52 AM

View PostMaker L106, on 27 December 2016 - 07:50 AM, said:

Holy ****, that was a thing!? Never happen I know, but damn... that... yes. that.

From what I've been able to gather, yes, PGI tried the 12v10 ISvClan thing right around the time Clans came out.

I don't know how long it was a thing, if it was just a weekend public test kind of thing, or a week or more of actual normal game play. But yeah, the match maker went all kinds of stupid and was never able to make the 12v10 rule work.

That's why I think a BV style system is the only way this game will ever have any semblance of balance, at least in CW/FW, I honestly don't know if a BV system would make any difference in Quick Play since you can have both IS and Clan mechs on your team.

Also, Jesus H. Christ how do I make it so that I don't have to re-login to the forums three or four times a damn day? That s*** is really pissing me off.

Edited by Alan Davion, 27 December 2016 - 08:53 AM.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users