16 replies to this topic

#1 Kuaron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 01:19 AM

I like “chicken” Mechs.
I love the Catapult, both aesthetically and for piloting it.
And now there is a sale on all of them, so it’s damn time to get its dam.

But which variant to choose?
I don’t need three of them so close to skill system reboot, ofc.
One, at most two, but there are other chicken to get.

So…
Stalkers are quite similar from hardpoint view, main differences being the quirks.
From looking at the paper, the most interesting appear to be:

5M – Stalkers are said to be rather slow and this one has decent mobility quirks. Is it fast enough to take the SRMs where they are needed? Also, is it of any interest if one already has the CAT for spaming quirked quad-ASRM6s and the CP for carrying two weapon groups full of ASRM4s?

5S – Baradul (or was it Kanajashi?) has shown some vid on the loyalty one with 4 LPLs, and this one lacks ECM obv., but has its lasers quirked. And in contrast to the 4N it doesn’t have to stare for even 1/3 as long!

3H – Since LRM20 spread buff this weapon became usable for support & suppression with a slight heat/DPS advantage over other LRMs for a better combination with light but hot lasers.
And since the Stalker is said to be a ranged/support Mech anyway…
Not being an LRM pilot, I must admit that trying out this variant appears the most appealing to me atm.

Now, how do I decide?

#2 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 03:56 AM

Nevermind, got the 3H first.
2 LRM20 + 2 LPL + TAG. First match 750 dmg.
But quite slow. Don't know if I'd like to brawl with this one, trying to imagine it reminds me on the king crab.

About the 5M, though, I forgot to mention the tasty asymmetric build with a dead side, which makes exceptionally much sense on the Stalker with its big side torsos. And it is the one build one actually needs the 3rd missile slot on the one side the 5M has in contrast to all other variants.

Anyway, I have some days left to decide whether I need a second variant, or should rather buy some Clan chick.

#3 jonfett

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 355 posts
  • LocationSitting on a NaCl mountain in a place called Puglandia

Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:29 PM

I had never driven Stalkers before I received my loyalty variant (which I placed 4 ER large lasers on, to go with it's ECM as a sniper). For the sale going on, I picked up the 4N and 5M. Both of these are absolutely brutal in the right conditions. The 4N has 6 large lasers and the 5M has 1 large pulse laser and 5 srm6's. I've been getting pretty good results from these.

Edited by jonfett, 28 January 2017 - 01:29 PM.

#4 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,062 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 28 January 2017 - 04:40 PM

The 4N is very solid. I feel guilty bad mouthing them in a thread recently, as the sustained slopply laser damage gets very high damage. I got several 800+ damage matches without even trying.

I feel the 5S is most different as you have that heavy lurm and dual AMS option which is not that common.

#5 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 05:03 PM

Throwing another positive vote for the -4N laserblimp - 6 large lasers fired three at a time or chainfired when the going gets toasty is simple yet effective, as long as you stay at the Stalker's ideal range (at closest, medium-long)

#6 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:25 PM

But isn't staring at the enemy with 3+3 LL volley not about the same as one is doing in the usual Clan vomit builds all the time? And even longer?

The 4N doesn't even have duration quirks it could really use. Even if the range ones are nice.

Edit:
An argument against an LPL-heavy variant like the the 5S would be that next year the current (L) one will be for CBs and ECM is much more valuable than a 10% quirk here and there.

Any more opinions on the 5M?
I have one day now to decide between another Stalker and another Nova (S variant, I suppose).

Edited by Kuaron, 30 January 2017 - 10:41 PM.

#7 Warglbargl

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 94 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 02:25 AM

View PostKuaron, on 30 January 2017 - 10:25 PM, said:

But isn't staring at the enemy with 3+3 LL volley not about the same as one is doing in the usual Clan vomit builds all the time? And even longer?

The 4N doesn't even have duration quirks it could really use. Even if the range ones are nice.

Edit:
An argument against an LPL-heavy variant like the the 5S would be that next year the current (L) one will be for CBs and ECM is much more valuable than a 10% quirk here and there.

Any more opinions on the 5M?
I have one day now to decide between another Stalker and another Nova (S variant, I suppose).

Get the 5M for sure. I've been running 3xLPL + 4xSRM4, it is quite good.

#8 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:00 AM

Better than the Nova?
Jumping around with C-MPLs and MGs sounds intriguing, too.

For the 5M, I'd try the deadside build first, I guess.

#9 Warglbargl

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 94 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:04 AM

View PostKuaron, on 31 January 2017 - 03:00 AM, said:

Better than the Nova?
Jumping around with C-MPLs and MGs sounds intriguing, too.

For the 5M, I'd try the deadside build first, I guess.

I cannot get excited about Novas. Huntsman-P for cbills is right around the corner.

#10 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:12 AM

I would go for the "The Misery 40" (AC20 + 2x PPC) - devastating left "hook":

MISERY

Edited by B3R3ND, 31 January 2017 - 03:16 AM.

#11 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 04:35 AM

I like Novas aesthetically, so it would rather be a second Nova than a Huntsman. Well, maybe one day I'll add a huntsman, but not yet.

Misery costs money.
If I decide to get one, it well be a 50% Hero event, not this one.
Also, I already have Cataphracts and Kingcrabs with AC20 + energy. Not sure I need another one of those.

But it's a general MWO problem: With the ability to change weapons at will, the difference between the Mechs resp. their gameplay ceases.

#12 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 04:48 AM

Alright, Miseries as any other hero costs money...

Tank like a boss, shield with your right and a high mounted pinpoint sledgehammer left hook that lets even a dire wolf shaking... there's no other like the Misery!

No cataphract or crab comes close to what this bad boy does... You either want a misery or not, but its not like anything other.

#13 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:41 AM

So, concerning Misery, we are speaking of this build?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d06431fc30235ca

Oh, did I confuse left and right?
Spoiler

It is very unique, I suppose, and I should spend the gold as soon as I resolve this confusion!

(Concerning the NVA-S vs. STK-5M question, I played a couple invasion matches with my unit yesterday and had enough money for both, after all. And a Locust in addition, because there is always use for a Locust!)

#14 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 12:04 PM

Yep thats the build, my bad, i mixed up left / right lol

#15 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:21 PM

The Misery is a truly unique Stalker variant, which is unlike most other hero variants. Plus it's a damn solid mech, if you like Stalkers.

#16 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 03:47 AM

View PostKuaron, on 01 February 2017 - 08:41 AM, said:

So, concerning Misery, we are speaking of this build?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d06431fc30235ca

Oh, did I confuse left and right?
Spoiler

It is very unique, I suppose, and I should spend the gold as soon as I resolve this confusion!

(Concerning the NVA-S vs. STK-5M question, I played a couple invasion matches with my unit yesterday and had enough money for both, after all. And a Locust in addition, because there is always use for a Locust!)

Lol apparently i was double confused... :D I though i mixed up left and right, but didn't expect you to post a build for a totally different mech! The build you mentioned is NOT the build i suggested: MISERY

Although the weapon load is similar, the Misery is an assault and the Marauder not, the misery not only brings more armor for the same speed but also has all the weapons mounted very high, besides that it also has good hitboxes.

#17 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 05:50 AM

Ah, I wasn't sure if you are not just trolling back.

But no, the MAD is not even about the same speed as an assault with the same engine, the difference is remarkable and should make up for the missing armour, minus the 3R structure quirks.
Concerning the weapon mounts, it changes the Misery's high PPCs for a high AC20 mount. It's PPC arm may be lower than the Misery's lower torso AC20, but not by much.
I also has very handy weapon quirks for exactly this choice of weapons.

The cooling is absolutely sufficient, and the MPL is only good for entertaining yourself when losing the armed ST, it doesn't win battles or fit in the shielding and firing rhythm.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users