So $500+ Later And One Year Bought Me....[Redacted]

84 replies to this topic

#61 Carlieth

• PipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Participant
  • CS 2021 Participant
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 02:07 AM

400 dollars a month for internet? you sir are either being screwed or a liar. I pay a sum total of 37.93 a month for the best internet in Sweden. although we have dc issues like everybody else that's all I pay. and it comes inclusive of tv channels too. so yeah your being screwed. or a liar. not sure which as I have no control over your bills.

I suggest moving to a better location or getting your internet provider fixed via legal action or something. they are stealing from you at that rate. good luck.

btw me and the wife can choose between 6-7 internet companies and ALL provide excellent service with tv packages and sometimes phone packages too. if you are not getting a least 3 choices then you sir are stuffed

Edited by Carlieth, 26 December 2016 - 02:11 AM.

#62 BLOOD WOLF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 26 December 2016 - 05:01 AM

I think people need to understand is that The providers are the ones that should manage the data. Internet actually only goes one speed. There is no such thing as faster internet, its like light, and it all travels at the same speed. Now the medium is the type of connections and materials they are using to transfer the data.

Still, 400 dollars a month, either they are using solid gold for the cables or they are ripping you off.

#63 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 05:30 AM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 26 December 2016 - 05:01 AM, said:

I think people need to understand is that The providers are the ones that should manage the data. Internet actually only goes one speed. There is no such thing as faster internet, its like light, and it all travels at the same speed.

Now the medium is the type of connections and materials they are using to transfer the data.

You do realize those are conflicting statements, right? Assuming what you're trying to say is that the internet only moves in one speed, except for when materials are involved.

If that's not what your saying, then this is just gibberish.

Edited by Bombast, 26 December 2016 - 05:31 AM.

#64 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:41 AM

View PostBombast, on 26 December 2016 - 05:30 AM, said:

You do realize those are conflicting statements, right? Assuming what you're trying to say is that the internet only moves in one speed, except for when materials are involved.

If that's not what your saying, then this is just gibberish.

Forgot you don't understand words like mediums.

of course the internet moves in one type of speed, that is more accurate. Same as how electricity moves at one speed, and light move at one speed. The science is the same just a different application.

The providers are the ones manipulating the flow of data. When you look at Comcast website and actually read them, what they are really telling you is that they are going to allow more or less data to get to you. so that it takes longer for the necessary data to be acquired. they are all moving at the same speed. what is being manipulated is the rate of transfer, from point A through whatever medium they are using to point B which is you.

Edited by BLOOD WOLF, 26 December 2016 - 07:47 AM.

#65 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:57 AM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 26 December 2016 - 07:41 AM, said:

of course the internet moves in one type of speed, that is more accurate. Same as how electricity moves at one speed, and light move at one speed. The science is the same just a different application.

Electricity has a variable speed, from anywhere from 50 to 99 percent the speed of light.

And that's assuming that the entire internet runs on electricity. Which it doesn't. There's also RF (Satellite and microwave relays, who's speed is limited not by the medium, but by how quickly data can be accurately read on either end of the relay), and literal light (Fiber optic cabling, which is limited by how fast the equipment on either end of the light bulb can translate).

While it's true that internet providers routinely 'fib' about internet limitations, it's an absolute fabrication to claim that 'the internet' is all one speed. I suggest you go find someone who hasn't worked in the telecom industry if you'd like to claim otherwise.

#66 Rhaegor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 301 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL, USA

Posted 26 December 2016 - 08:15 AM

I pay Comcast $50 per month for internet and no one has better pings than me in any game I play. It is his router, his modem, his lines coming to his house from the box, or something else , but it is certainly not Comcast's internet service. And why is this even posted here? No one cares about your internet issues.

#67 draiocht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 08:55 AM

Considering the original post,
that word in the thread title seems erroneous
or peculiarly hyperbolic.
[mod]Defamatory statement redacted from thread title.[/mod]

edit: also, for anybody skimming too quickly before replying,
the original poster clarifies his situation further on page 3.

Edited by draiocht, 26 December 2016 - 09:06 AM.

#68 TLBFestus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:37 AM

Yeah...we can't have dirty words like that in the forums!!

#69 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:43 AM

View PostBombast, on 26 December 2016 - 07:57 AM, said:

Electricity has a variable speed, from anywhere from 50 to 99 percent the speed of light.

you are the one making stuff up. That has nothing to do with anything. The speed of light is a constant, and all physical applications that follow have constant speed.

why would you assume that the entire internet runs on electricity? that doesn't even make sense. Unless you mean the devices run on electricity.

View PostBombast, on 26 December 2016 - 07:57 AM, said:

While it's true that internet providers routinely 'fib' about internet limitations, it's an absolute fabrication to claim that 'the internet' is all one speed. I suggest you go find someone who hasn't worked in the telecom industry if you'd like to claim otherwise.

you obviously are not understanding what I am saying. The internet is not a thing as an separate entity. Its just data being sent and received. The data is mostly signals, these signals all travel at a constant speed. Your claim of it going from 50 to 99%% the speed of light is wrong. Electricity moves at roughly the speed of light, number one because these are atoms which by other principle move very fast and far.

The internet, which is just data, travels by the available method. Either by electromagnetism, or by radio waves. Each of these has a constant speed which is far faster than anything you can imagine. One we are limited by the mediums we can use. When it comes to wifi, and internet speeds, these are strictly managed by the internet providers.

This all jumbles down to electromagnetism. Electricity to put it in relative terms moves near the speed of light. So yes, it really is all one speed, so if you actually understand the science what I said is not an fabrication.

Edited by BLOOD WOLF, 26 December 2016 - 09:57 AM.

#70 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 11:15 AM

View PostZamiake, on 25 December 2016 - 02:54 AM, said:

We have an old node around here. Its way too old and its extremely over subscribed. Generally my speeds are ok when the node isnt busy. Up to around 100mb/s. Under load after everyone gets home from work around 3-5pm or 11pm my speeds drop into the kbs. Not to mention the random dcing constantly. Even browsing facebook or my bank account, or work schedule is a nightmare some times.

monopoly and no competition to force their prices down

I have this exact thing, but I have a DSL through Frontier. Supposed to be 6MB/s DL and (LOL) 128k(not a typo) UL. I get on average, 100-200K/s DL and 45-80k/s UL. Unless it's winter. Or raining out. Or between 4pm and 11pm. Or Saturday. Or Sunday. The hub is the same one, wires and all, since the 90's. My road has buried copper wire from the early 80's. My line to my house is a new fiber optic as my landline phone quit working so they had to replace the 1974 junction box and copper wire. I pay over 100 dollars a month. Running a speed test, I get 200ms ping to major net hubs(like the first main hub not owned by Frontier) that are litterally 50 miles from my driveway. frontiers network is so ancient and over sold, combined with deals with stuff like netflix(throttling) it is simply 3rd world.

The connection speed wouldn;t be so bad, but I get latency fluctuations of 300MS magnitude OR GREATER most of the time. MWO just can;t make a netcode to help with ping fluctuations, I have asked. I suspect that is the majority of your issue actually.

latency fluctuations can be hard to see, best bet to find them is to run numerous speed tests in a row and see if they results keep changing. PGI has told me outright in a direct engineering response that their hit reg(HSR) code can only do so much for fluctuating latency. I do not think that is anything unique to PGI though, so i do not hold them accountable.

FCC laws about phone stuff are pretty straightforward and customer oriented. FCC stuff about internet providers is a grey area ball of crap that for the most part, barring actual loss of service 100%(and even then somtimes) lets the providers get away with murder. There was some legislation in the works a while ago to try to fix that, but afaik it was lobbyist money'd away and we got nothing.

Trump talks a lot about fixing infrastructure. i haven;t looked to see if his plans include anything about network upgrades or not. My gut feeling is, no, they do not. It's funny how USA always strives to be the world's leader, but then has decided to basically completely ignore something as revolutionary(and recent) as the internet.

Honestly, and i am actually serious here, you might be better off calling various gov't reps in your area(county, state, even like senate) and telling them about the situation and how you feel about it then complaining for the 100th time to comcast(or Frontier like me).

Also though, if you really want to get their attention, go to their facebook page etc and post stuff. Frontier had to hire staff for the sole purpose of replying to all the hate posts to try to sort out things because of all the bad press they were getting on their social media.

#71 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 11:30 AM

View PostZordicron, on 26 December 2016 - 11:15 AM, said:

Trump talks a lot about fixing infrastructure. i haven;t looked to see if his plans include anything about network upgrades or not. My gut feeling is, no, they do not. It's funny how USA always strives to be the world's leader, but then has decided to basically completely ignore something as revolutionary(and recent) as the internet.

Trump's big thing seems to be deregulation. And deregulating ISPs basically amounts to allowing them to shake hands, agree to do **** all competitively, and suck up money like a hoover.

#72 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 11:34 AM

View PostGreen Mamba, on 22 December 2016 - 04:01 PM, said:

Well at least we know where Bryan Eckman has been Post Transverse debacle

Indeed.
Now if they simply said they went developing Mw5 I think there'd have been a lot less raging in the past year.

o.O;
(Have you noticed MW5 seems much more lore rooted, like ancient 'Mechs instead of crisp clean new looking ones?; Seems with Eckman not working MWO it's gone down the ******* in terms of its roots.)

#73 Unnatural Growth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 03:23 PM

There's no way in hell you're paying $400 a month for internet. Pure ********. Scan the bill and post it. Even if you're ENTIRE cable bill is $400 a month (which I doubt is even possible), I'm calling ******** on that as well. Even if you have 6 DVR's, every SINGLE cable channel package, and the highest data rate on your internet, there's no way in hell you're paying $400.

And even basic speed testing, trace routing and ping testing could get to the bottom of your connection issues. Are you running an ancient DOCSIS 1.0 modem or something?

#74 Trev Firestorm

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 03:34 PM

View PostVxheous Kerensky, on 22 December 2016 - 04:06 PM, said:

Wait, you have sh*tty overpriced internet, amd thats somehow PGI's fault? I understand your pain with unreliable service, but that has nothing tobdo with PGI

To be fair, the disconnect penalties are absolutely ********. Net drops? get ******. Manage to get reconnected, well get ****** anyway no rewards for you.

#75 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 26 December 2016 - 04:24 PM

View PostZordicron, on 26 December 2016 - 11:15 AM, said:

In order to upgrade to newer and better tech, we first have to rip out all the old tech. That costs a lot of money and a lot of time, which is why the companies are attempting to avoid and why the US has begun stagnating in that area (and other IT fields).

EDIT: typo

Edited by Saint Scarlett Johan, 26 December 2016 - 04:24 PM.

#76 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:14 PM

View PostOldOrgandonor, on 26 December 2016 - 03:23 PM, said:

There's no way in hell you're paying $400 a month for internet. Pure ********. Scan the bill and post it. Even if you're ENTIRE cable bill is $400 a month (which I doubt is even possible), I'm calling ******** on that as well. Even if you have 6 DVR's, every SINGLE cable channel package, and the highest data rate on your internet, there's no way in hell you're paying $400.

And even basic speed testing, trace routing and ping testing could get to the bottom of your connection issues. Are you running an ancient DOCSIS 1.0 modem or something?

L2R. Unless you just like reading the 1st post and assume things. Sorry to come off blunt, but I feel like I have to since there's 4 pages.

View PostZamiake, on 25 December 2016 - 03:05 AM, said:

5 person home its 400$ all of us pitch in a bit. I chip 200$ since i eat a fair chunk of the bandwidth.

#77 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:18 PM

View PostBombast, on 26 December 2016 - 11:30 AM, said:

Trump's big thing seems to be deregulation. And deregulating ISPs basically amounts to allowing them to shake hands, agree to do **** all competitively, and suck up money like a hoover.

Kind of like they are already doing, tbqh.

The internet is stagnating in the USA because of the way it was built-out in the first place. All of these local governments granted monopoly deals to ISPs to build infrastructure, strangling the possibility for competition and therefore providing no organic incentive to improve. Those deals need to be cancelled, and ISPs need to be put in their place and told that they are little more than dumb-pipes for transporting data. Period.

#78 Unnatural Growth

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 08:22 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 26 December 2016 - 07:14 PM, said:

L2R. Unless you just like reading the 1st post and assume things. Sorry to come off blunt, but I feel like I have to since there's 4 pages.

Learn to think.

Still calling total BS on this one. 5 person home, big deal. Can all go on one cable modem + router. Post the bill or it never happened. Total troll fest.

#79 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:27 PM

View PostCarlieth, on 26 December 2016 - 02:07 AM, said:

400 dollars a month for internet? you sir are either being screwed or a liar. I pay a sum total of 37.93 a month for the best internet in Sweden. although we have dc issues like everybody else that's all I pay. and it comes inclusive of tv channels too. so yeah your being screwed. or a liar. not sure which as I have no control over your bills.

I suggest moving to a better location or getting your internet provider fixed via legal action or something. they are stealing from you at that rate. good luck.

btw me and the wife can choose between 6-7 internet companies and ALL provide excellent service with tv packages and sometimes phone packages too. if you are not getting a least 3 choices then you sir are stuffed

Sweden <> Rural Murika

#80 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:37 PM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 26 December 2016 - 09:43 AM, said:

The data is mostly signals, these signals all travel at a constant speed. Your claim of it going from 50 to 99%% the speed of light is wrong. Electricity moves at roughly the speed of light, number one because these are atoms which by other principle move very fast and far.

Really?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users