#81 BLOOD WOLF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 26 December 2016 - 10:53 PM

View PostMystere, on 26 December 2016 - 09:37 PM, said:

The word electricity refers generally to the movement of electrons(atoms)

The speed at which energy or signals travel down a cable is actually the speed of the electromagnetic wave, not the movement of electrons. Electromagnetic wave propagation is fast and depends on the dielectric constant of the material. In a vacuum the wave travels at the speed of light and almost that fast in air.

"The speed at which energy or signals travel down a cable is actually the speed of the electromagnetic wave, not the movement of electrons"---Lets break this sentence down. This is also why its better to understand what you are talking about rather than just linking wikipedia that you think says something.

The Speed at which it travels down a cable. When it says not the movement of electrons it simply means that the medium in which you are using is going to affect the speed. There are nice equations that would give you all sorts of numbers. Now the equations are beyond my capacity to understand because you get into a higher level of physics. However When you are not using copper wires or wires of any sort and its just sending a signal to point A to point B, we already have the tech and the means to do that. Why do you think they charge you for "high speed internet". There is no such thing, they are placing limiters and its nothing more than that.

Ughh, This all relies on the use of radio waves, which move near the speed of light. Point being, They are making a buck, and if they can give you less for paying less they will. They can give everyone the same speed if they wanted.

Edited by BLOOD WOLF, 26 December 2016 - 11:20 PM.

#82 Ex Atlas Overlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:04 AM

View PostMystere, on 26 December 2016 - 09:37 PM, said:

At 1/2 the speed of light the data would take an astounding .028 seconds (28 whole milliseconds) to travel the entire "width" of the united states.

It's a whopping 0.26 seconds to travel completely around the earth.

The thing about "c" is that even 1/2 or 1/4 of it is still really ******* fast.

Edit: whoops commented before I caught up on the conversation....

Edited by Ex Atlas Overlord, 27 December 2016 - 12:08 AM.

#83 BLOOD WOLF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:14 AM

View PostEx Atlas Overlord, on 27 December 2016 - 12:04 AM, said:

At 1/2 the speed of light the data would take an astounding .028 seconds (28 whole milliseconds) to travel the entire "width" of the united states.

It's a whopping 0.26 seconds to travel completely around the earth.

The thing about "c" is that even 1/2 or 1/4 of it is still really ******* fast.

Edit: whoops commented before I caught up on the conversation....

no, you really got to the gist of it. The speed at which data travels is near "c". So its a good measuring point.

https://www.extremet...latency-records

The link I gave is to show some of the cavemen that we already reached the technology levels years ago for the best internet anyone can possibly have.

Edited by BLOOD WOLF, 27 December 2016 - 12:29 AM.

#84 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 27 December 2016 - 08:20 AM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 26 December 2016 - 10:53 PM, said:

There are nice equations that would give you all sorts of numbers. Now the equations are beyond my capacity to understand because you get into a higher level of physics.

Oh, well! Quantum Mechanics was fun. Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 27 December 2016 - 08:21 AM.

#85 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 27 December 2016 - 08:49 AM

View PostZamiake, on 25 December 2016 - 03:05 AM, said:

5 person home its 400$ all of us pitch in a bit. I chip 200$ since i eat a fair chunk of the bandwidth.

Still sounds insane. How much bandwidth is that? 3000mb/s or what? Is that even possible?

I have 100mb/s for about 10$, we are 4 people and it seems more than enough. Certainly never been able to max that out even when everyone is online.

Or is this just some thing with your country that internet is crazy expensive or something?

Edited by Sjorpha, 27 December 2016 - 08:51 AM.

36 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 36 guests, 0 anonymous users