Posted 13 December 2016 - 12:10 AM

Posted Image

#3 Chuck Jager

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 02:04 AM

Nerf is way too easy to scream. Right above make murica great. Erppc is next as we start another cycle.

#4 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:14 AM

with how the ranges on many other weapons were nerfed it was needed as all those changes mant buffs to the gauss' competitiveness amongst the weapons.

#5 Tibbnak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 379 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:25 AM

Now to nerf ER PPC to 900 meters.

#6 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 05:05 AM

View PostTibbnak, on 13 December 2016 - 04:25 AM, said:

Now to nerf ER PPC to 900 meters.

810/1620 on erppc.
660/1320 gauss

seems to be quite balanced, and hardy anyone will shoot erppc's further than the gauss unlike you want to spent huge amount's of heat for low damage. except you really enjoy doing around 2damage for 15 heat on clanside and or 1.9damage for 13.5 heat on is side.

#7 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 13 December 2016 - 05:09 AM

Eh. Doesn't matter in QP since most engagements hover around 700m anyway and then close to 300 and under towards the end. The maps simply aren't big enough for it to be an extreme range weapon to begin with, save frozen city.. and at that distance you were already doing close to 1 point of damage anyway. Better to save the ammo.

And as far as I know, on Faction Warfare maps, the mechs that are usually sniping are lighter and use PPCs instead so there is no ammo to worry about.

In short: it's not a nerf so much as a bandaid adjustment to appease the lurm boats and other such lemmings that get sniped out in the open all the time and cry nerf.

#8 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 13 December 2016 - 05:17 AM

I don't mind a nerf, I just don't like the way they did it. Gauss should be a fantastic sniper weapon with extreme max range and really high cooldown. Bad in a brawl, good in a long range sniping match.

But PGI doesn't want to play it like that. They don't want the gauss rifle to have too much of a niche, where it's no longer useful in a brawl. So they'd rather nerf max range, health and crit chance instead of cooldown.

Bah.

#9 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 05:30 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 13 December 2016 - 05:05 AM, said:

810/1620 on erppc.
660/1320 gauss

seems to be quite balanced, and hardy anyone will shoot erppc's further than the gauss unlike you want to spent huge amount's of heat for low damage. except you really enjoy doing around 2damage for 15 heat on clanside and or 1.9damage for 13.5 heat on is side.

As someone who plays mostly long range, let me explain to you that even 0.1 damage at extreme range are worth it if it's an energy weapon. It costs you nothing, the enemy can't pressure you with their damage, so you have all the time in the world to cool down, hide, walk away or whatever. Even completely missing with an energy weapon is just irrelevant.

It's a completely different story for ammo based weapons: every miss and even every hit beyond optimal range is pretty much a waste of potential damage. So the effective cost-efficient range of a PPC is 1620, while that of a Gauss is 660.

Plus: a lot of people didn't seem to get so far that their 1980 Gauss range has a DOUBLED falloff in it, making long range damage deteriorate much faster that that of other weapons (ERLL or ERPPC).
A lot of times, I snipe at >1500 m, doing basically free damage, while Gauss "snipers" shoot back at me, dealing no significant damage for their invested ammo. Sometimes, I don't even hide. I just eat tiny damage slug after slug and write in global chat that they should continue wasting their ammo.
One even started to argue that Gauss has no damage falloff for the whole 1980 meters, which is clearly wrong.

In short: The Gauss rifle never was a sniper weapon. If you try to snipe with it, you're mostly just wasting precious ammo.

From where I sit (namely at >1500 m Posted Image), consolidating the Gauss falloff range is a good thing for most Gauss users in that maybe now they will understand their weapon better.

Edited by Paigan, 13 December 2016 - 05:36 AM.

#10 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:33 AM

View PostPaigan, on 13 December 2016 - 05:30 AM, said:

As someone who plays mostly long range, let me explain to you that even 0.1 damage at extreme range are worth it if it's an energy weapon. It costs you nothing, the enemy can't pressure you with their damage, so you have all the time in the world to cool down, hide, walk away or whatever. Even completely missing with an energy weapon is just irrelevant.

It's a completely different story for ammo based weapons: every miss and even every hit beyond optimal range is pretty much a waste of potential damage. So the effective cost-efficient range of a PPC is 1620, while that of a Gauss is 660.

Plus: a lot of people didn't seem to get so far that their 1980 Gauss range has a DOUBLED falloff in it, making long range damage deteriorate much faster that that of other weapons (ERLL or ERPPC).
A lot of times, I snipe at >1500 m, doing basically free damage, while Gauss "snipers" shoot back at me, dealing no significant damage for their invested ammo. Sometimes, I don't even hide. I just eat tiny damage slug after slug and write in global chat that they should continue wasting their ammo.
One even started to argue that Gauss has no damage falloff for the whole 1980 meters, which is clearly wrong.

In short: The Gauss rifle never was a sniper weapon. If you try to snipe with it, you're mostly just wasting precious ammo.

From where I sit (namely at >1500 m Posted Image), consolidating the Gauss falloff range is a good thing for most Gauss users in that maybe now they will understand their weapon better.

it still costs you as every game is a timed game, you could be somewhere else doing more and better damage. iT's a typical economical thinking, you spent X heat for somethind and you cna squeeze out as much as possible of it. and so making 10 damage for 15 heat is better than 6 or 3 or 1. game is still limited in time as well as heat dissipation is. no damage is free, every damage is a time investment.

#11 Aiden Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:37 AM

Of all the long range weapons...

-ERLL has a long burn time, ghost heat, draws a line to your position for everyone to see.
-ERPPC has extreme heat and a much slower projectile without quirks. Also requires tons of heat inks which pack on the weight. Also draws a line right to your position for everyone to see.
-LRMs....lol
-Goose has lowest heat, highest damage, fastest speed, leaves no trail to your position. Still sounds like a winner to me.

#12 Dr Cara Carcass

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 643 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 06:00 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 13 December 2016 - 05:05 AM, said:

810/1620 on erppc.
660/1320 gauss

You must have very different games than me. I quite often have games where my teams doent want to push with short range weapons and the enemy fireing at us from 1400m happy witch chip dmg untill a few die and my team finally moves. And all the time i am running from side to side trying to get my team moveing unable to shoot back coz my max range is now 1452m with modules rendering my Gauss obsolete.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users