ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 24 December 2016 - 09:27 PM

View PostxEdSteelex, on 24 December 2016 - 08:33 PM, said:

The Dark Age was after the Jihad, and the post Dark Age is Catalyst's current timeline where Clan and IS are roughly equal technologically. I have spent quite a bit on this game too and would like to continue using my mechs, but if a MWO2 is significantly better, I would be glad to play the new game.

I might be...but not if it meant closing these servers. It will happen someday, but I've spent just a little too much to look forward to that day.

Hell... there are a few of us in honesty PGI shouild be extending free MW5 and MWO2s too. Just saying.

#142 Alan Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 09:41 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 24 December 2016 - 09:10 PM, said:

Hell, I'm starting to wonder if PGI will release their single player game before CIG does =/

All down to the scale.

For instance, I don't see MW5:M putting you at the controls of your Dropships and/or Jumpships, especially because it would literally take DAYS to leave a planet and travel to your jumpship in stationary orbit above the systems star.

i.e. it will be like previous MW games, sure it'll look great, but it will ultimately be limited in scale and scope.

Star Citizen on the other hand, exploration is gonna be a big thing there. Finding mineral rich asteroids, finding jump points to new, undiscovered star systems. It could very well take weeks to chart an entirely new star system after you find it.

And that's even with a sizable organization putting all its resources behind such a project.

#143 ComradeHavoc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 233 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 10:56 PM

The most recent star citizen update (2.6) is in Lumberyard engine...

#144 xEdSteelex

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 01:30 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 December 2016 - 09:27 PM, said:

I might be...but not if it meant closing these servers. It will happen someday, but I've spent just a little too much to look forward to that day.

Hell... there are a few of us in honesty PGI shouild be extending free MW5 and MWO2s too. Just saying.

I would like free stuff too . Yes, I have contributed to the development of MW5, but I would buy new mechs in MWO2 if PGI has applied all that they have learned from MWO and made it the game that we all want.

Merry Christmas to those who celebrate and Happy Holiday of your choice to everyone else!

#145 QuantumButler

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,534 posts
  • LocationTaiwan, One True China

Posted 25 December 2016 - 03:05 AM

View Postarmyunit, on 23 December 2016 - 04:00 PM, said:

Whoa WHAT

But they've accomplished so much in CryEngine haven't they? I can see MWO being switched over to a new game engine, but Star Citizen?

Lumberyard is apparently Amazon's version of cryengine or is at least based on CE, and the CE Starcitizen has been using has already been mostly gutted qand rewritten into it's own beast for a while now.

That said, SC is turning into our generation's Duke Nukem Forever, an engine swap means it is at least another good 2 years or more out before it comes up with anything resembling a retail ready product.

View PostAlan Davion, on 24 December 2016 - 09:41 PM, said:

All down to the scale.

For instance, I don't see MW5:M putting you at the controls of your Dropships and/or Jumpships, especially because it would literally take DAYS to leave a planet and travel to your jumpship in stationary orbit above the systems star.

i.e. it will be like previous MW games, sure it'll look great, but it will ultimately be limited in scale and scope.

Star Citizen on the other hand, exploration is gonna be a big thing there. Finding mineral rich asteroids, finding jump points to new, undiscovered star systems. It could very well take weeks to chart an entirely new star system after you find it.

And that's even with a sizable organization putting all its resources behind such a project.

Whoa man I wouldn't get your hopes up, sure that's what Chris Roberts has been promising, but I feel we'll end up with another No Man's Sky here.

Lots of bitterly dissapointed whales and salt once SC actually comes out in 60-90 months.

At this point I have more faith in PGI delivering on everything they promised with Mech5 than I do in SC.

Edited by QuantumButler, 25 December 2016 - 03:06 AM.

#146 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 03:08 AM

View PostQuantumButler, on 25 December 2016 - 03:05 AM, said:

That said, SC is turning into our generation's Duke Nukem Forever, an engine swap means it is at least another good 2 years or more out before it comes up with anything resembling a retail ready product.

Stop talking out of your ***, it's embarassing.

#147 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 03:11 AM

The scary, and funny, thing is that it really is starting to sound like the joke version of Forever.

EDIT: Whoops, posted the real one at first. My bad.

Edited by Bombast, 25 December 2016 - 03:12 AM.

#148 QuantumButler

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 03:14 AM

View PostRatpoison, on 25 December 2016 - 03:08 AM, said:

Stop talking out of your ***, it's embarassing.

Stage 1 confirmed

Posted Image

Edited by QuantumButler, 25 December 2016 - 03:15 AM.

#149 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 03:23 AM

View PostQuantumButler, on 25 December 2016 - 03:14 AM, said:

-snip-

Damn cynical coolkid, you're just so cool and right. How could anyone doubt your nonsense hyperbole.

#150 QuantumButler

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 03:26 AM

View PostRatpoison, on 25 December 2016 - 03:23 AM, said:

Damn cynical coolkid, you're just so cool and right. How could anyone doubt your nonsense hyperbole.

Glad you agree.

#151 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 25 December 2016 - 03:35 AM

View PostRatpoison, on 25 December 2016 - 03:23 AM, said:

sorry dude, but at this stage, SC is going nowhere fast.

#152 QuantumButler

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 03:51 AM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 25 December 2016 - 03:35 AM, said:

sorry dude, but at this stage, SC is going nowhere fast.

It's not even how long it's taking, it's all the stuff you hear, like that whole celebrity face motion capture studio, or scrapping starmarine completely at least once and redoing it all over again [at least that's out now...], or now up and swapping the whole game engine, which is not just a plug and play affair contrary to what people might think, the engine change represnetins at least months more development time, thousands and thousands of man hours spent on QA, writing code, scripting, all needing to be completely redone for the new engine, which will differ vastly from what CIG has been working with so far even if they're both originally based on cryengine.

No way that doesn't take at least 4-5 months, more likely a year.

Gaming history is full of examples of games going through this sort of trouble development being mediocre to very, very bad once they do finally come out. There are a few exceptions but those by and large involved the game getting given to some other very talented team who then fix up the mess left by the development hell and polish it into something worthwhile.

Freelancer only got released after Roberts was removed and the jumbled puzzle pieces where given to someone else to fit together.

Edited by QuantumButler, 25 December 2016 - 03:55 AM.

#153 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 December 2016 - 04:06 AM

View PostQuantumButler, on 25 December 2016 - 03:14 AM, said:

Stage 1 confirmed

they're changing from Cryengine to Cryengine (Lumberyard is Cryengine, but comes with third party network code from Amazon, Twitch integration and tied to Amazon servers)
https://en.wikipedia...azon_Lumberyard

also they started on a more modern version than MWO, so porting shouldn't be that hard like it would be for MWO (apparently)

that being said, I'm glad I did not pour money into it

Edited by Peter2k, 25 December 2016 - 04:07 AM.

#154 QuantumButler

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 04:10 AM

View PostPeter2k, on 25 December 2016 - 04:06 AM, said:

they're changing from Cryengine to Cryengine (Lumberyard is Cryengine, but comes with third party network code from Amazon, Twitch integration and tied to Amazon servers)
https://en.wikipedia...azon_Lumberyard

also they started on a more modern version than MWO, so porting shouldn't be that hard like it would be for MWO (apparently)

that being said, I'm glad I did not pour money into it

MWO was initially built on the console compatible version of cryengine, designed for Xbox 360, so yeah, a really old version.

That combined with the "what is playtesting?" attitude are big sources of all the technical woes in MWO.

#155 An Innocent Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 285 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 08:20 AM

Anyone who still pours money into that scam deserves it period.

Last time I recall was that people are using disability checks to buy star citizen ships.

#156 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 08:24 AM

Whoa man I wouldn't get your hopes up, sure that's what Chris Roberts has been promising, but I feel we'll end up with another No Man's Sky here.

Lots of bitterly dissapointed whales and salt once SC actually comes out in 60-90 months.

At this point I have more faith in PGI delivering on everything they promised with Mech5 than I do in SC.

I am cautiously optimistic on Star Citizen, at least presently, because right now my desktop PC can't run even Arena Commander.

I was able to run one of the much older builds of it, but that was, gods above, at least a year or two back at this point.

Right now I'm really not worried about what they're doing because I just can't do anything with it with the computer I have.

Meanwhile games like World of Tanks, World of Warships, Mechwarrior Online, Stellaris and a few others hold my attention quite well. Hopefully the upcoming HBS Battletech game will run on my current desktop as well.

I have plans to build a much more powerful desktop PC, I just simply don't have the room to use it effectively right now, so it's on hold.

#157 Acehilator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 667 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 December 2016 - 09:09 AM

Wow, and the uninformed drivel continues. Page 1, post 8, it was already stated that the switch to Lumberyard is already complete. Update 2.6 was rolled out a few days ago, which runs on the the new build. And on pretty much all following pages up to page 8, people still blather on about six months of delay because of the engine switch.

And please, by all means continue comparing a persistent world game with unprecedended level of detail in gameplay mechanics to run-of-the-mill lobby shooters, because you can control planes or tanks in those shooters. It is all the same, right? Sure is, buddy Posted Image

And please continue to fail to acknoledge that 4,5 years average development time for a AAA game only comes up April 2017. Ok sure, the Persistent Universe will not make this "deadline", but it is pretty safe to assume it will launch in 2018 with one year delay, and will be the first AAAA game ever, considering the level of detail and scope, if you want to keep calling average modern day AAA titles, well Triple-A. So the wait is pretty well worth it. And it doesn't look that way that anybody else wants to expand to definition of AAA games (with the possible exception of CD Project Red and their Cyberpunk game, considering that The Witcher 3 is pretty much AAA+).

And there may have been times when SC still could have failed (feature creep phase of 2014/15), but that time is over. Sorry to burst your bubble guys, wanting to see SC fail is wishful thinking at this point.

#158 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 25 December 2016 - 09:13 AM

or is at least based on CE

Cheat Engine? Posted Image

View PostAcehilator, on 25 December 2016 - 09:09 AM, said:

and will be the first AAAA game ever

Now there is the overhype and ego we all expect from Star Citizen and its fans. You want to get disappointed in a game? That's how you get disappointed.

#159 An Innocent Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 285 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 09:20 AM

Wow, and the uninformed drivel continues. Page 1, post 8, it was already stated that the switch to Lumberyard is already complete. Update 2.6 was rolled out a few days ago, which runs on the the new build. And on pretty much all following pages up to page 8, people still blather on about six months of delay because of the engine switch.

And please, by all means continue comparing a persistent world game with unprecedended level of detail in gameplay mechanics to run-of-the-mill lobby shooters, because you can control planes or tanks in those shooters. It is all the same, right? Sure is, buddy Posted Image

And please continue to fail to acknoledge that 4,5 years average development time for a AAA game only comes up April 2017. Ok sure, the Persistent Universe will not make this "deadline", but it is pretty safe to assume it will launch in 2018 with one year delay, and will be the first AAAA game ever, considering the level of detail and scope, if you want to keep calling average modern day AAA titles, well Triple-A. So the wait is pretty well worth it. And it doesn't look that way that anybody else wants to expand to definition of AAA games (with the possible exception of CD Project Red and their Cyberpunk game, considering that The Witcher 3 is pretty much AAA+).

And there may have been times when SC still could have failed (feature creep phase of 2014/15), but that time is over. Sorry to burst your bubble guys, wanting to see SC fail is wishful thinking at this point.

LOL! You still believe what croberts tells you? The sunk cost fallacy is strong in this one

#160 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 09:28 AM

...and will be the first AAAA game ever...

You have lost your mind, sir. Completely.

Also, I think we all need to agree to stop using the AAA scale for video games, seeing as it's a completely meaningless term. It started as a testament to how much money was being spent, then progressed to being the video game version of 'Blockbuster,' then was just what you called games made by big studies (As opposed to Indie titles), and now it's just meaningless garbage spewed about. No one can ever agree on what AAA+ even means.

Edited by Bombast, 25 December 2016 - 09:29 AM.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users