- - - - -

What Are The Medium Mechs That Can Take A Punch?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Dismembermentor

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:20 PM

I mean, for tankiness, could you guys list, lets say, 3 best medium mechs that can survive long battles?

#2 exiledangel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 200 posts
  • Locationhalifax ns canada

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:23 PM

hunchie-4sp, centurion and griffen

#3 Kimberm1911

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on Earth......

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:35 PM

Due to the amount of firepower on the field, you aren't going to find truly "tanky" medium mechs. However, the Hunchback and Stormcrow both hold up admirably under fire, and the Centurion isn't a mech to take lightly either. Those would by my three picks. The Hunchback, Stormcrow, and Centurion. The Griffin is an honorable mention, but it requires an IS XL to run the best builds.

#4 Fox With A Shotgun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:45 PM

Crab can take a lot of punishment. Hunchback holds up well under fire, but also tends to lose most of its firepower when you're up against people who focus your RT. Centurions can tank a fair amount, as can the Griffin.

But the best defense is a good offense. After all, the enemy can't fire back when they're taking a dirt nap, or when you've ripped off most of their weapons.

#5 jss78

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:55 PM

STD-engined Crabs are the sturdiest ones I've found.

#6 Syn Pryde

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:56 PM

Clan Mediums with offensive potential: Nova, Stormcrow, Viper
IS Mediums with offensive potential: Hunchback, Griffin, Centurion, Shadowhawk, Wolverine, Blackjack, Crab, Enforcer, Kintaro, Tebutchet.

metamechs.com is a good source for builds, or the mech build threads here.

depends mostly on personal taste. you can build a lot with those.
e.g. the CN9-AH can be anything from a 3 LRM10 missile boat, to a 3 SRM6 Artemis + 3 MG brawler or a AC20+3SRM4 brawler. you can turn a CN-9 into a AC10+2 med laser speeder. a 3 SRM6 Artemis + 2 med pulse raceboat or whatever you like. the YLW can do AC20+2 med pulse or 2 Ac2 and 2 small pulse as a racer...
Same with the shadowhawk e.g. the 2D2 can be a good 4LRM5+2med support mech or a fast SRM boat. you can ride the K with 2-3 lasers of any type, large pulse, large or ER. dual PPC is also fine. the H is nice with 2 AC5 and a PPC, it can do 2 LB10 or a AC20 with SRMs.

basically any medium is fine, as long as you get along. hunchback and shadowhawk have limited visibility, so has centurion.

just stay clear of the phoenixhawk, vindicator and ice ferret until you have some experience.

and use them as intended: mobile gunboats. think of a huge fast gun with few armor. dont tank. run in, fire as much damage as you can and run out. torso twisting and backstabbing is nice. same is sniping from behind assaults.
nothing says "eat this" more then a 10 small ER viper and a 12 small pulse nova supporting a direwhale.
or a hunchback and shadowhawk with 2 LB10s or 6 med lasers supporting a brawler atlas.

one thing on the P hunchie: i would not run it with 9 lasers. 6 lasers (3+3) in the torso, two flamers and a tag work surprisingly well for starters. tag to lock for LRM support, laser shoulder to fire over stuff and the flamers to overheat enemies.

and any blackjack with 6 med lasers if run cautiously is murder, too. the X with a 295XL and 6 med pulse rocks.

Edited by Syn Pryde, 11 January 2017 - 03:58 PM.

#7 Lolo van Trollinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 167 posts
  • LocationTrollhejmr

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:01 PM

you have limited armour. dont tank.
assaults as cover improve survivability, just dont backstab.
terrain has infinite armor. if you are fast enough and torso twist in and out of a shot, use seismic and aim well - your murder.

#8 Whiskey Dharma

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 141 posts
  • Location100 ms from Europe

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:39 PM

The medium motto is "Don't be a hero. Be a pest."

#9 AncientRaig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 584 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:53 PM

The Centurion is easily one of the hardest mechs to kill in the hands of a decent pilot. If you don't lose your arms before your torsos, and your torsos before your CT, you're doing it wrong in a Centurion. Or you're the last one alive. Either way, the Cent is a pain to take down. The Crab is a hard mech to down as well simply because of how that kind of bullet CT works. You can spread damage like crazy, but you can't keep it away from your CT entirely like you can on a humanoid mech. The Hunchie has a lot of quirks for durability, but it's not the best at shielding damage due its CT design and small arms. The Project Phoenix mechs (Shadow Hawk, Griffin, Wolverine) all have good shield arms and well-hidden CTs, but they also tend to rely on XL engines to get good performance from them, so your tanking potential is somewhat limited compared to the Crab and Centurion, which can easily run STD builds that keep a good mix of firepower and speed.

#10 GenghisJr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 278 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:08 PM

The durability of Centurians is very high at the moment, its like nothing takes them down and their CT's just seem to get redder and they just keep shooting. I usually play lights and CDA's, I really notice this, I want to maker a fast strike and getaway in a light but Centurians are not going down and I am getting stuck in duels...which is why i have noticed what it takes to bring them down.

#11 Hunter Tseng

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 100 posts
  • LocationIn the pines where the gauss rifle always shines... And doesn't explode :P

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:50 PM

Centurion and crabs are a pain to bring down. As their competitive builds can use STD engine makes it even more so.
The other IS mediums tends to rely on XL engines to bring competitive builds. So their durability compared to the centurion and crab are not so much.
The hunchback has alot of structure quirk, but their hitboxes and that right shoulder is easy to aim and pop off.

On the Clan side, it would be the storm crow and huntsman.
Storm crow has very good forgiving hit boxes, and they are fast to go in and out of action.
The huntsman cannot survive too long in a brawl, but utilizing that jump jet makes it roll and dodge shots better than the Crow.

Edited by Hunter Tseng, 11 January 2017 - 05:51 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users