More Incentives For Dedicated Support Builds?

21 replies to this topic

#21 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 27 December 2016 - 08:00 AM

View PostI_AM_ZUUL, on 27 December 2016 - 07:29 AM, said:

grossest thinking examplified... they have a game for that now, its called Titanfall 2.

It has nothing to do with how you think, the game is designed so that damage in and out is the only relevant factor and support.roles are irrelevant or very very weak. If you don't like that ask pgi to make them relevant.

There is one exception now, conquest in faction warfare is actually about capping, it is the first instance of viable non-damage tactics in mwo history so that's a good sign if you like more roles. Obviously thers is still no valid reason for those lights to not be able to also kill mechs.

I bet Titanfall 2 has more viable roles than MWO, most arena shooters do.

Edited by Sjorpha, 27 December 2016 - 08:02 AM.

#22 SeaLabCaptn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 273 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 08:37 AM

View PostJingseng, on 27 December 2016 - 01:30 AM, said:

You say they dont contribute a lot to the win...

Let's consider scouting. Right now, when lights (or fast mechs, not just lights) don't scout, everyone kind of wanders around aimlessly. No one knows where to go, because no one knows where TO go - that is, where the enemies are. They straggle out into a long line and generally get flanked, or picked off a few at a time.

Scouting prevents that. I'd call preventing a loss a pretty huge contribution.

Couple rounds ago, I ran around on an ach test build with a NARC. I happened to have a LOT of lrm missile fiends on my team, who happened to also be pretty spot on shooting for the beaconed mech.

My own damage was paltry. But my team ended up rolling something like 12k 1d (pretty sure it was me that died too). Giving your team a natural focus for massed missile fire, particularly if done intelligently (eg: only marking one mech at a time, marking mechs according to their threat level) allows your team to accrue a large mech advantage safely - such that even if you die and fail to give that advantage throughout the match (and really, when there are few mechs left on either or both sides, that advantage matters less and less) your team is positioned for an easy win. I'd also call that a huge contribution. You know precisely what happens when one side carries a ton of lrms but there are no locks... or there are a BUNCH of locks. Damage gets spread out inefficiently (if dealt at all) and gets rolled when the brawling starts.

A lot of contribution is huge but invisible... until it doesn't happen.

No one is arguing that it doesn't contribute to the win. What we are saying is that contributing to the win in this manner earns squat for rewards, and that needs to change.

Edited by SeaLabCaptn, 27 December 2016 - 08:39 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users