- - - - -

3 Mech Mastery - Should I Keep My Variants?

12 replies to this topic

#1 Grimm Shado

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 06:19 PM

I have 2 variants of Stormcrow, and will be able to pick up my third in a day or two. Enjoy playing this mech, looking forward to mastering it. Once I have mastered it, is there any reason I would keep my two extra variants?

Also not sure what to spend my C Bills on after I've unlocked the elite tier skills and extra module. Mech or weapon modules? Another mech type? Input is appreciated :)

#2 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 26 December 2016 - 06:34 PM

So, have you ever considered giving Community Warfare a try? You get to drop in four mechs. That could be three stormcrows and a trial whatever. (And yes, some people suggest not dropping CW until you've mastered all your own mech builds, but I say give it a try, you might like it, you might learn, and it might give you incentive to keep your mechs and get more. Oh, and you might win some mechbays in the process.) Also, sometimes I wanna drop in another mech without having to go into the lab and strip my old mech, so it's nice to have those other chassis around prebuilt for me.

Personally, I'd use c-bills for another mech type. Weapon modules are small gains for the amount of cbills invested. Another mech can be another boatload of fun. Load up Smurfy and see if anything strikes your fancy.

~Leone

Edited by Leone, 26 December 2016 - 06:35 PM.

#3 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 27 December 2016 - 08:03 AM

Right now, no not really. You want to keep the omnipods and whichever variants have hardpoints in the CT.

It may be worth hanging on to them until we find out exactly how the new xp system will work though.

#4 Grimm Shado

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 10:16 AM

Thank you guys. I did some research on Community Warfare and it sounds fun. OTOH, selling one of these Stormcrows would make a nice dent in the purchase of a Timberwolf. I'll get the 3rd one and the masteries all down, then go from there.

I saw something about XP system changes in February, but figure I'm still learning the game so might as well just play to have fun for now.

#5 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 27 December 2016 - 11:03 AM

View PostGrimm Shado, on 27 December 2016 - 10:16 AM, said:

OTOH, selling one of these Stormcrows would make a nice dent in the purchase of a Timberwolf.

Check your inventory. You probably have a stack of single heat sinks and some excess engines you could sell too.

#6 Wedge Red Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 103 posts
  • LocationYavin 5

Posted 27 December 2016 - 07:02 PM

View PostGrimm Shado, on 26 December 2016 - 06:19 PM, said:

I have 2 variants of Stormcrow, and will be able to pick up my third in a day or two. Enjoy playing this mech, looking forward to mastering it. Once I have mastered it, is there any reason I would keep my two extra variants?

Also not sure what to spend my C Bills on after I've unlocked the elite tier skills and extra module. Mech or weapon modules? Another mech type? Input is appreciated Posted Image

FWIW, Most ppl eventually regret selling mechs. The game is in near constant flux, and with one swipe of PGI's pen the mech you just sold is now a top tier meta mech. And there you sit with your second rate mechs.

The first module you NEED to buy is "radar deprivation". It with pay for itself quicker than anything else you can buy. Put it on any mech that doesn't have ECM, and you will probably live twice as long. And make twice the space bucks Posted Image

Edited by Wedge Red Leader, 27 December 2016 - 07:02 PM.

#7 Anunknownlurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 362 posts
  • LocationBetween here and there

Posted 28 December 2016 - 12:05 AM

as long as you strip all the omnipods from something like a Stormcrow, you can get away with selling the variant if you need the Cbills and mechbay space; after all you can always buy it again later if you really need it! It's not real money we are talking here :)

The only reasons I can see for keeping multiple Omnimech chassis (outside FP) is if they have something unique to them, (e.g. does the CT have ECM, weapon hardpoint, AMS etc which is not available on another variant?) or you don't want to have to rebuild your mechs between games if you fancy a change.

I would bring in a note of caution here; with the incoming Skill Tree changes, each variant will have its own, unique, tree. As far as my initial thoughts go, this will affect Clan omnimechs quite badly as they may not be quite so versatile in the future and therefore multiple variants could prove useful if you enjoy playing a variety of builds on the same mech, e.g. SRM TBR, laser vomit TBR, splat TBR, would each need their own set of skills. It will be interesting to see how they work this.

TL/DR - don't sell mechs unless you NEED the Cbills or mechbay

#8 Grimm Shado

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 10:32 AM

Thanks Roughneck, I do indeed have a standard engine, heatsinks, standard AC10, and other stuff I stripped off the Centurion they were giving away. I dropped a few times in that mech and don't care for it at all compared to my Stormcrows.

I also discovered yesterday that I have a bit of a mech XP slog to go before I will complete elite skills in my 3 variants. After I got the basics unlocked in my SCR-C, I played most matches in my SCR-PRIME. This left me with more MXP than I needed in the prime and not enough in the C to unlock elite skills. If I had it to do over again, I would have split about 50/50 between the two while I was earning C-Bills to buy the D variant.

A positive side effect is by the time I have C and D fully unlocked for elites I think I will have $9-10M C-Bills, reducing the impulse to sell a chassis to get me into another mech earlier. And getting mastery will run 21,500 MXP per variant, which I think will net me another $10-11M in C-Bills assuming I choose to master all 3. So I might pick up radar deprivation for the $6M. Can I use the radar deprivation module in another mech?

#9 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 28 December 2016 - 11:03 AM

A few thoughts:

If you like your prime so much, strip the omnipods and set up the C or D with your prime load out.

As a module, Radar Deprivation can be moved, just like omnipods. So, you could buy one and just swap it every time you wanted to play a new mech. It's only if you wanna have a fully moduled CW drop that you'll need multiples for. Or if your too lazy to wanna strip, save readd and save again. (I just stopped bothering with modules myself.)

As for the centurion, This is my favourite brawler load out to test the chassis without spending much money. But yeah, if it's not for you, it's not for you.

~Leone

#10 AncientRaig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 584 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 12:19 PM

Like a lot of people have said, omnimechs don't really have downsides to being sold unless you really like something the CT brings, like the Timber Wolf S with its jump jet. IS mechs and clan battlemechs are a different story though, since you can't just change out hardpoints on a whim. I own every variant of the Centurion (though I'm a bit obsessed with that mech... bad example) and I have three variants of most of my mechs, if only for the ability to run different playstyles on a chassis I really enjoy. A good example would be my Battlemasters. I have a really silly loadout on one that works, but isn't very meta and on another I have pure meta laserwub.

Also, if you want a Centurion that plays similar to your Stormcrows check out the CN9-D. I can understand that some people don't like the slow speed of the other Cents with their low engine cap, but the D can take up to a 390. You won't have much firepower with a 390, but you can take it. I run mine like this: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c08c992fec18c75 Most people don't like LBX10s, but with a total potential of a 57% faster firing rate with skills and modules, it's hilariously good in a brawl and you can easily eat up all three tons of ammo before you realize it.

Edited by Sidefire, 28 December 2016 - 12:23 PM.

#11 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 01:02 PM

View PostGrimm Shado, on 26 December 2016 - 06:19 PM, said:

Also not sure what to spend my C Bills on after I've unlocked the elite tier skills and extra module. Mech or weapon modules? Another mech type? Input is appreciated Posted Image

Keep them. Very good mediums, no need to sell them.

With the new skill system around the corner, you will be able to skill each mech independently. That means you could skill one of your stormcrows purely on SRM builds or another purely on medium pulse. The more mechs you have the more options you have to min/max your builds.

#12 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 01:10 PM

if you are Clan and want to do FW, you also want to start looking at Novas and Huntsman. PGI just lowered the Clan scout tonnage from 55 to 50. So the days of Stormcrows ruling scouting is over. They also changed the Clan drop deck to 240 tons so no more 3 Hellbringers and a Stormcrow.

I've always said that my Stormcrows bought everything else. After them came the Hellbringers etc.

I hate buying mech bays. So I will get packages, sell off the ones I do not want and reuse the mech bays. Look at a Light Mastery Bundle. For $14-20 you get 3 mechs including a Hero, 3 mech bays and 30 days of PT that is $12.00.

I now have 75 mechs but I can only play 1 at a time unless it is faction warfare then you need 4.

I look for sales. I've bought a number of Mechs for 50% off, did the pilot trees, sold two of them for what I paid for them and had two extra mech bays and a Mech I wanted to play.

You do want to save up that $6 million for radar Derp.

#13 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 05:57 PM

Ok, perfect real world, real time example. Again, some Mechs you might want 2 or 3 of for Faction Warfare. Some, not.

I bought 3 Archers over time with C-Bills, I kept two. I sold one I will never play.

I wanted a Nova so I bought the Hero and got it and a Mech bay. I bought two more Novas over time and I'm getting the extra Mech module slot of the Breaker (the Nova Hero) now. And I'm going to sell at least one Nova, with a good chance I will sell two. I just keep all the Omnipods and weapons etc.

Shadowcats are on sale, 40% off. I have wanted one for a while. I bought one, then when I make a little more C-Bills I will buy the second one. Those two will give me almost all the Omnipods I want. But I will buy a 3rd to do the pilot trees and then sale at least one if not two back.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users