Ideas To Improve Immersion

78 replies to this topic

#41 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 29 December 2016 - 04:20 PM

How can anyone not want aliens in a sci-fi? Or at least some kind of differences between the peoples out there?

As for Bird aliens, it looks like they can pilot a mech to me.

#42 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 29 December 2016 - 04:22 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 29 December 2016 - 04:20 PM, said:

How can anyone not want aliens in a sci-fi?

I enjoy Battletech BECAUSE it doesn't have wacky aliens and the like. It's just humanity fast forwarded a thousand years from now, fighting the same pointless wars due to petty squabbles, just with "better" technology.

Edited by RestosIII, 29 December 2016 - 04:23 PM.

#43 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 29 December 2016 - 04:26 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 29 December 2016 - 04:22 PM, said:

I enjoy Battletech BECAUSE it doesn't have wacky aliens and the like. It's just humanity fast forwarded a thousand years from now, fighting the same pointless wars due to petty squabbles, just with "better" technology.

Well FRR has been up in the north for a very long time and have evolved to habitate on their planets better. Here is some smuggled footage of FRR people at work and explains why they are having trouble fighting the Clans successfully.

Edited by Johnny Z, 29 December 2016 - 04:45 PM.

#44 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 29 December 2016 - 04:28 PM

How can anyone not want aliens in a sci-fi? Or at least some kind of differences between the peoples out there?

As for Bird aliens, it looks like they can pilot a mech to me.

There are so many stars and planets in the universe that its crazy not to think something didn't evolve somewhere else. Thats what that novel dealt with.

#45 Ted Wayz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 29 December 2016 - 04:56 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 29 December 2016 - 04:10 PM, said:

Posted Image

Peter L. Rice. Ruiner of everything good and fun.

Edit: Also, I decided to look at its Amazon page, and there are several copy-paste 5 star reviews on it. 10/10, would have fake reviews again.

Don't incite the Goons aka WOL.

Squauk!!!!

Do they still play?

#46 Xmith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 December 2016 - 05:03 PM

Vr support

#47 KnightMarkus

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 05:31 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 29 December 2016 - 03:57 PM, said:

Posted Image

Damn it all, now I remember seeing a similar gif somewhere around here and I can't find it and it's bugging the hell out of me.

#48 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 29 December 2016 - 05:50 PM

View PostKnightMarkus, on 29 December 2016 - 05:31 PM, said:

Damn it all, now I remember seeing a similar gif somewhere around here and I can't find it and it's bugging the hell out of me.

Posted Image

That?

#49 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 06:03 PM

Quoted from another forum...

Bombast said:

I'm going to say some stuff I'm sure a lot of people will argue against, but its how I see it. Here we go.

The desolation of the Inner Sphere is part of the universe for a reason - Battletech is about us. Humanity united, and looked to the stars for hope. They built fusion reactors and KY drives, and fashioned for themselves vessels with which they could explore the infinite. Using these ships, they traveled a thousand light years from home, searching for something beyond themselves.

And they found nothing. No matter where they looked or where they went, all that was there was us. No advanced species, barely any native ecosystems, nothing of any real note. Humanity was alone, and there was nothing new. So humanity stopped looking, and once again turned inward, and there they found nothing but misery.

Star Trek is about the hope of discovery. Star Wars about the battle between good and evil. Stargate is about the struggle against powers that are beyond our control; essentially battling the Gods who seek to rule us. 40K is about the eternal fight for survival in a Universe that is, at best, hostile; and at worst, hates us. Battletech isn't about dealing with that which is without, but that which is within - The absolute worst and best that we humans are, turned on itself like Ouroboros. Even when the Clans returned from their journey beyond all that was known, it wasn't new - Just another human power, vying for control over other human powers.

At least, that's what Battletech is to me. It's a big Universe of course, and everyone is free to look at it however they like. But that's my opinion on it.

#50 NighthawK1337

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere, Terra, Asia, Philippines

Posted 29 December 2016 - 06:06 PM

View PostShadowFire, on 29 December 2016 - 03:28 PM, said:

A few ideas, many mentioned in hundreds of post over the years..... Clan Mech Heads Up Display (HUDs) should display clan mech names and IS mech HUDs should display IS mech names. Or later on as the timeline progresses and IS gets access to captured clan mechs, it should be select-able by the pilots. Recoil should effect mechs on a gun caliber vs mech tonnage bases with maybe a wag wheather the gun is on a recoil absorbing mount or close to the mechs center of gravity. Also firing a heavy recoil weapon off center (or flight path) while jumping should really destabilize the mech/landings. You know, more nods to the laws of physics all round. Advance zoom should fully follow HUD's gun site view, not this ridiculous torso only view. If game engine ever allows, add additional views to cockpit monitors, (rear view camera). Mimi map displays should have ability to display grid overlays in various resolutions. (like real world fighting vehicles today and the BT lore's book narratives. Terrain should sometimes be sticky due to mud, rubble, junked cars, tangled fallen trees, etc. These things should slow a mech down.

GENIUS!!! GIVE THIS MAN A COOKIE!

Not sarcastic. Really. This is a good idea.

Edited by NighthawK1337, 29 December 2016 - 06:07 PM.

#51 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 29 December 2016 - 06:09 PM

View PostBombast, on 29 December 2016 - 06:03 PM, said:

Perfect speech

Posted Image

That just strikes so close to home as my reason for loving Battletech, I don't even have anything else to add.

#52 naterist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 1,724 posts
  • Location7th circle of hell

Posted 29 December 2016 - 06:12 PM

rename quickplay to solaris, allow 3 modes, company v company(12v12), lance v lance (4 v 4), and 24 man free for all called melee.add ranked 1v1 matches with siting champions and a fight between everyone to try and get to the top of the leaderboard and be named the new raining champ,

in match, only changes are a few helicoptors in the sky with a cameraman hanging off the sides, but way up, and out of weapons range, but seeable if you zoom at them, and cheers everytime theres a kill broadcast over the loudspeaker in addition to warhorns, which now have a flair thing, and a reason to be there (crowdpleasing)

#53 MaximusPayne

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 96 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 29 December 2016 - 06:37 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 29 December 2016 - 03:53 PM, said:

Aliens, because its not very realistic in space without aliens.
Giant scary aliens, because space Sci-Fi's without them are ignoring the laws of Sci-Fi's.

Better yet, illegal giant scary zombie {Godwin's Law} aliens.
Go big or go home!

#54 KnightMarkus

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 06:49 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 29 December 2016 - 05:50 PM, said:

Posted Image

That?

Yes, that is the GIF in question. I shall now save both gifs to my hard drive so that I never again need to look for them.

#55 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 29 December 2016 - 06:51 PM

View PostKnightMarkus, on 29 December 2016 - 06:49 PM, said:

Yes, that is the GIF in question. I shall now save both gifs to my hard drive so that I never again need to look for them.

Posted Image

Glad to be of service. Gifs are one of the few things I'm actually competent at dealing with.

#56 MaximusPayne

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 96 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 29 December 2016 - 07:00 PM

View PostMaximusPayne, on 29 December 2016 - 06:37 PM, said:

Better yet, illegal giant scary zombie {Godwin's Law} aliens.
Go big or go home!

Tad ironic how they censor the name of the group that was infamous for burning books ( starts with "nah", ends with "zee" ). For the record, my post was a reference to the "jumping of the shark" point in a gaming franchise's timeline and not a former genocidal german.

#57 Valhallan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 484 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 07:35 PM

Copy pasting Posted Image

View PostValhallan, on 29 December 2016 - 03:18 AM, said:

Well Posted Image , this is just the regular stumping for making those fundamental mech parts have a functionPosted Image it just feels apt to do it now that mguns are usable again.
Cockpit part loss, xplode!
Gyro part loss, slow speed (50%) and earthquake sim (reverse of shake resist module)!
Engine 3 parts loss, death!
Arm Actuator upper part loss, no vertical traversal for arms! lower part loss, no horizontal traversal!
Posted Image

Also, MELEE FUN TIMES!, it aint battletech without the hatchetman and co.! Posted Image

#58 KnightMarkus

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 08:18 PM

View Postnaterist, on 29 December 2016 - 06:12 PM, said:

rename quickplay to solaris, allow 3 modes, company v company(12v12), lance v lance (4 v 4), and 24 man free for all called melee.add ranked 1v1 matches with siting champions and a fight between everyone to try and get to the top of the leaderboard and be named the new raining champ,

in match, only changes are a few helicoptors in the sky with a cameraman hanging off the sides, but way up, and out of weapons range, but seeable if you zoom at them, and cheers everytime theres a kill broadcast over the loudspeaker in addition to warhorns, which now have a flair thing, and a reason to be there (crowdpleasing)

I don't agree with most of what you proposed, but Solaris arena mode would be great if you changed the bolded text to "definitely within range"......

https://youtu.be/Ui0mRLYZwYc?t=4m23s

#59 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 29 December 2016 - 08:56 PM

screen blur/red filter at 80% heat: work as both player immersion and balancing tool

cursor sway/shake from walking: already exist ingame in 3rd person view; for player immersion, reduce pinpoint/converge damage.

mech gyro recovery: mech react to weapon impulse based on weight/class. Atlas can shrug off an AC20 round, while Raven will get knock off course from a hit.

custom boot sequence: 8~10 key password set by the player, punch it in during dropship and the mech will power up before dropoff, you get 1~2 second head start.

Edited by xengk, 29 December 2016 - 09:09 PM.

#60 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 December 2016 - 06:34 AM

I have to say that there are a lot of great ideas that have been suggested here, some more subtle and others more overt and all across the spectrum of ease of implementation. I'll start putting an organized list together of the ideas presented here and try to stick it in the original post so we can keep track of whats been brought up. I think that now is a great time for them to start taking care of these details, even if it would be just a few a month, the impact from these small changes would quickly snowball into a much greater experience and sense of immersion.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users