Would You Be Interested In: 1V1 Stock Tournament?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Snazzy Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:42 AM

I'm thinking of setting one up. I am thinking only mechs with flamers and pure ammo loadouts will be disallowed, (so no jenner-iic duels. not enough ammo on that stock fit) with a best of 3 match and randomly generated match bracket.

Of course you will need premium time, because the 1v1s will take place within the 1v1 Steiner map.

Both combatants will be in the same mech for their matches and stock rules would be enforced-- no cool shots, no consumables, no quirks, no efficiencies, no custom building beyond setting up your weapon groups once the match starts.

No prize announcements for now.

I want to keep it fairly small and simple, but first-- would you be interested in participating?

Edited by Snazzy Dragon, 31 December 2016 - 04:43 AM.

#2 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:47 AM

I think the issue could come from the players not having the same mechs to compete in.

Especially since some players prefer to keep their mech-stable of a single faction.

But... It could be interesting and depending on WHEN the tournament was happening, i might be interested in participating myself.

#3 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:49 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 31 December 2016 - 04:47 AM, said:

I think the issue could come from the players not having the same mechs to compete in.

Especially since some players prefer to keep their mech-stable of a single faction.

But... It could be interesting and depending on WHEN the tournament was happening, i might be interested in participating myself.

There are always the trial mechs. :)

#4 Shiroi Tsuki

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,205 posts
  • LocationCosplaying Ruby from Rwby in Aiur, Auckland, GA America, Interior Union, Mar Sara and Remnant

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:51 AM

Count me in
Posted Image

#5 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 02:52 PM

Shameless bump

#6 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 31 December 2016 - 03:04 PM

Normally I don't care for tournaments/trying to raise your e-peen, but...

Posted Image

Stock mechs? Oh hell yeah I'm interested. Would entirely be based on when it would happen though due to time management shenanigans, but I'm always looking for a reason to run lore builds. Might need to rebuy myself a Dire Wolf though.

#7 Woody556

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 03:25 PM

Might be something I'd be interested in. You suggest being in equal mechs, I'd be more interested in if it was open choice of stock lights, because freedom of choice, vs the headache of aligning mechs. I can see a situation where one guy wants to only clan, and the other IS, and they can't agree. Which gets to another point, if you allow different builds in a match, you'd have to deal with hero, champion, trial, etc as well. Easiest way would be to eliminate those, and maybe run an IS vs IS, and a Clan v Clan bracket.
Similar concerns on time, etc, but given that I'm a horrible light pilot, and I'm still interested, I think this could be just simply fun.

#8 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:58 AM

I don't think it will be happening at this rate, unfortunately.

#9 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 01 January 2017 - 06:50 AM

I like the idea of it, but there are further restrictions to consider. Clan tech or IS only? Allowing mixed fights? That would be a problem, as several Clan stock mechs are near perfect out of the box, such as the Stormcrow Prime or several of the Night Gyrs. What about Hero mechs? You have hero mechs, like the Ilya Murmomets, which are actually extremely good relative to other stock mechs.

What map(s) would be used? Steiner is a nice map, but is too small to really allow mechs that are designed to hit and fade, such as the Shadow Cat, to move free enough (though the 4v4 map with the central pillars, hills on the sides, and "city" on the edges, is a nice sized map for that). The 1v1 map forces a very specific combat style on the opponents.

Another consideration: would pilots go in with one mech and one mech only, and run the entire competition with said mech, or would they be able to change mechs each round? Would the matches be restricted by weight class? One overall winner, or would there be a winner per weight class?

I'm interested, but I'd like to hear more details. I don't even care about prizes, as a good duel is its own reward. However, I'd like to see what the structure is intended to be.

Edit: I'd personally love to see a setup where you go in with a single mech throughout the entire competition, and fight against people of your weight class, to be the light weight, medium weight, heavy weight, and assault weight champions. That 4v4 map is the most balanced, IMO. Mixtech matches could be interesting, but I'd rather avoid hero mechs of either tech base being utilized.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 01 January 2017 - 06:58 AM.

#10 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:03 AM

Make it a 3025 era stock mech tourney. and count me in.

#11 Steinar Bergstol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:51 PM

Could be interesting. I mean, somebody has to be the easily killed cannonfodder who makes the eventual winner look like a mech-god by comparison, right?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users