33 replies to this topic

#21 ArticArcher

• PipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 11:01 AM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 02 January 2017 - 10:56 AM, said:

Other than the ams clan weapons work the same. The smaller the tub size the tighter the groups. You will find 6xlrm6 to kill faster than 2xlrm15 in both clan and IS. This is one of the reason the hunch is a good mech for lrms. Its a medium, uses lrm 10 and almost quirks+module out to 4xlrm10

I do agree with you on that but sadly AMS has been my foe so I had to adapt. One disadvantage I think IS mechs have though is how much you have to spend on tonnage for them compared to clans.

#22 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 02 January 2017 - 11:03 AM

Thats the other thing, if you must boat lrms, be a boat... not a... whale?

Those hunchies are good because they are fairly mobile while laying down volleys. Also, you aren't putting all your eggs in one basket... its just 50 tons of you deck if things go south...

#23 KHAN ATTAKHAN

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 446 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 January 2017 - 11:05 AM

LRM's are bad, don't use them, LRM's are too good don't use them, yep gonna LOL again

#24 Mistriever

• Pip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 11:12 AM

View PostGalenthor Kerensky, on 02 January 2017 - 10:22 AM, said:

So if missiles end up getting a change, it should be one that makes is so that it's less exposure time and faster firing; as missiles are nerfed enough as it is.

They did, LRM-20s got less spread and the cool down fire was improved on all of them recently if I recall correctly. I think they're in a good place right now. That said I agree with you that LRMs can be very effective. And while I don't run them often, the fact that they are so inefficient does mean your kill count will generally be low. As soon as you strip the armor off a target a teammate will rush in for the kill because "teamwork". Fortunately, KMDDs and Killing blows usually average out in the long run.

But others have already covered the differences between good LRM players and bad LRM players. The players that can't even be bothered to bring TAG or NARC on an LRM boat are the ones every despises. Regarding players who bring them and don't contribute, lets be honest, not all players are created equal. The same ones who stink with LRMs for the very reasons stated will stink with SRMs and lasers too. While I do greatly enjoy the new Faction Warfare changes it has opened the flood gates to the many less skilled players. PUGs never were very successful in FW and now we have tons running amok.

#25 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 02 January 2017 - 12:41 PM

Edited by Monkey Lover, 02 January 2017 - 08:27 PM.

#26 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 12:43 PM

I follow a formula with my decks... I want one mech with lrm's, one with long range direct fire (energy or ballistic), one with srms, one with ecm, one with jump jets. That's the minimum requirements list. If mechs overlap multiple requirements, so much the better. Each requirement I have is based on supporting the team, not solely boating it. My current clan deck is a spirit bear with 4xASRM6+LBX5+2xERML, a MLX-C with ECM/JJ/ERLL/ERML, a MDD-Prime with 2xERLL+2xSSRM6+2xSPL, and a lacerator with 8xSPL+3xLRM5. I just had an 8 kill win invasion game and only dropped the three heaviest mechs. The Spirit bear got 5 of those kills. I don't build mechs which cannot defend themselves up close.

Edited by Dee Eight, 02 January 2017 - 12:45 PM.

#27 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:45 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 02 January 2017 - 12:41 PM, said:

Sorry but i don't believe in the "good lrm pilot" . A good lrm pilot is a better direct fire pilot.

Tag for example tag... So your running your lrm boat you have to run tag because of all the ecm. Now you have line of sight of the enemy you're holding a TAG on this enemy. Why would you want a weapon that kills 50% slower and uses 50% more ammo?
Change that tag out for some lpl and drop the lrms.

Again i'm all for having fun this is a game. I understand this, I have ran my summoner with no armor with lrm100 for lols.

On the other hand,If people don't care about winning our teams wouldn't break up often because of games we get smashed in.

Saddly i dont think my posts even matters as almost all the views are from clanners haha

I get what you are saying, however, taking into account that some people have subpar computers that yield less than desirable fps and/or conditions that prevent them from being excellent twitch players I will give them the benefit of the doubt *if* they are not sitting in the back in a 46kph assault begging for locks...

Besides, there is a particular member of my unit that shall remain nameless that can equal or even out-do my direct fire damage (we're both doing 1500+) and even give me a run for my kills/kmdds and he boats LRMs exactly the way I'm talking about; aggressively and as part of the group. he positions himself well so that he's close, but direct fire can get in there and pound them as well. He'll play smart and pound them like a.... jackhammer!

#28 TK TikTok

• PipPip
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:10 PM

View PostMistriever, on 02 January 2017 - 11:12 AM, said:

They did, LRM-20s got less spread and the cool down fire was improved on all of them recently if I recall correctly. I think they're in a good place right now. That said I agree with you that LRMs can be very effective. And while I don't run them often, the fact that they are so inefficient does mean your kill count will generally be low. As soon as you strip the armor off a target a teammate will rush in for the kill because "teamwork". Fortunately, KMDDs and Killing blows usually average out in the long run.

But others have already covered the differences between good LRM players and bad LRM players. The players that can't even be bothered to bring TAG or NARC on an LRM boat are the ones every despises. Regarding players who bring them and don't contribute, lets be honest, not all players are created equal. The same ones who stink with LRMs for the very reasons stated will stink with SRMs and lasers too. While I do greatly enjoy the new Faction Warfare changes it has opened the flood gates to the many less skilled players. PUGs never were very successful in FW and now we have tons running amok.

I promise to never use LRM-20's IS or clan ever! :-)

#29 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:14 PM

IS lrm20s never...clan ones....MAYBE. It comes down to the spaces/tonnages/heat balance. While 4 LRM5s are 2 more heat than an LRM20.. they also occupy less space and use less tonnage (and shoot faster with less spread).

#30 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:33 PM

I have seen teams during CW matches all have AMS for all four drops. You want to see LRM boats have fits, that is it. If they even notice. Still you wait a bit and attack one that is isolated and you can kill them. I still had good matches, just not the best when I was in those matches with 4 LRM boats, augh!

#31 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 05:08 PM

Oh another requirement for my decks... at least one mech with AMS...with the enthusiasm to LRM usage now... and many players not realizing that ECM can be defeated, its nice to be able to stymie an opponent by actually standing behind terrain AND shooting down his missiles aimed at your team.

#32 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 02 January 2017 - 05:16 PM

View PostMovinTarget, on 02 January 2017 - 01:45 PM, said:

I get what you are saying, however, taking into account that some people have subpar computers that yield less than desirable fps and/or conditions that prevent them from being excellent twitch players I will give them the benefit of the doubt *if* they are not sitting in the back in a 46kph assault begging for locks...

I get 30-45FPS on average (cause I'm using 2k, 6yo CPU, not enough ram as I needed a stick for work PC etc etc.) and ~250ms ping. One of our other AU peeps plays with 15 FPS (lol...)

Using poor PC performance as justification to "I can only bring LRMs because" is just pfft.

That said I wanna upgrade my PC soon just to see if that sorta stuff really does make a difference. God help everyone if it does Posted Image

The vast majority of players that bring LRMs, simply cannot use them - So yeah, STOP DOING IT. Been more than enough threads on that over the past 12 months. QP grubs will be QP grubs though, they care not for the team, they care about themselves.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 02 January 2017 - 05:21 PM.

#33 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 05:17 PM

It really must be noted that your test is against totally still targets that aren't returning fire.

It is entirely different when you are under fire and your target is not only moving, but rotating sections.

That aside, more than a few IS groups are doing spectacularly well with focused LRMS... and besides which, I've noted that lately, LRMs have a higher tendency to strike legs (of all places) on assaults... without regard to side stepping, back pedaling, or plain standing still.

Finally, when it comes to direct fire weapons, hits are part gunner's steady hand/aim, part target's movements to avoid. When it comes to LRMs, it's in large part gunner's judgment to fire and target's movement to avoid... and where targets understand to side step direct fire, they fail to understand that against LRMs. Most tend to backpedal, and that does near to nothing for avoiding LRMs.

View PostDee Eight, on 02 January 2017 - 05:08 PM, said:

Oh another requirement for my decks... at least one mech with AMS...with the enthusiasm to LRM usage now... and many players not realizing that ECM can be defeated, its nice to be able to stymie an opponent by actually standing behind terrain AND shooting down his missiles aimed at your team.

Aside: I could swear I played against you in CW recently, where you were IS... merc?

#34 Catalina Steiner

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 2,119 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNagelring Academy

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:49 AM

[mod]Thread opener deleted all this posts. Thread closed.[/mod]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users