10 replies to this topic

#1 War Kitten

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 103 posts
  • LocationUnder a Cat

Posted 02 January 2017 - 12:59 PM

Greetings All,
With the armor change to the Victor (+16 all around), I am pulling mine out for another go around, it has 2B/2L/3M hardpoints and I currently have 1 LB10X (4T ammo & ER/cooldown mods gettem while they last) , 2ML, 3SRM6 (5T ammo), 1AMS (1.5T ammo).

With all that and max armor, I have 1 ton left over. I would like to use it and was wondering if the ac10 (1T heavier) is better than the lb10x. The ac is pinpoint dam and the lbx does spread but is a 'crit seeker'. Is one better than the other?

Thank you all for any help.

War Kitten

#2 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:33 PM

If you have the tonnage and slots to bring either, AC10 is the way to go. Pinpoint damage is king in this game. LB-10X is only 'good' on a small number of variants which have very large quirks for it, because it just can't match up to the other ACs and their single-target damage potential. That spread just hurts the weapon too much- there is not enough damage per pellet to justify taking it solely because of its increased crit chance.

If you want huge crit potential, your SRMs will work better than an LBX. To that end, I'd recommend dropping to SRM4s and adding Artemis- same tonnage and slots, but way better damage focus that more than makes up for the reduced total damage output. MWO is all about how much hurt you can put on a single component in the shortest timespan.

*edit- come to think of it, the VTR-9S can bring an AC20, and that would serve you better than either AC10 or LB10X. Drop the AMS and a few points of armor to get the extra 2 tons. The range profile syncs with the SRMs and MLs, and that's a lot of firepower for an 80-tonner (especially a Victor). Since you've pretty much got to take XL anyway, might as well maximize the pinpoint burst damage.

So... this? Or, if you'd rather stick with STD for cost and durability, this. 65kph isn't speedy, but it's enough to not get left behind and that's pretty much the only Victor which can sub firepower for speed and actually pull it off. Basically, if you've got a brawler build and can bring an AC20, bring an AC20. Especially if it'll fit in your arm.

Edited by WrathOfDeadguy, 02 January 2017 - 03:52 PM.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:55 PM

Try out AC/10, then try out LB-10X.

See which one serves you better. If you like the AC/10, go with it. If you like the LB-10X, spend the last ton in either Ammo or DHS... or if you feel like it a MG and half a ton of MG ammo and tie it to both the MLs and the LB-10X firing groups.

#4 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 02 January 2017 - 07:53 PM

Personally I go Lbx for the sound.

~Leone.

#5 no one

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 533 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:50 PM

Dual Ultras. You get a really nice range bonus that's utterly wasted on th' slow spud launcher that is the AC/20.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c5f2b368663c6b0

#6 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:30 PM

You really should use an AC-20 on the S, plus the terrible tube count means SRM6 is awful. Maybe 4,4,2 no artemis instead.

#7 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 11:20 PM

No real opinion either way (on a victor), but thought I'd mention:

the IS LB10x has a freakishly long max range. Give it a look see. You have no long range weapons mounted. Some damage is better than none at all (and don't over exaggerate/over estimate the spread). At close range, you'll deal the full damage, and it will better complement your SRM spread (which will be your main damage dealer anyway).

The AC/10 is a short range PPC. Or a smaller ac/20. It's all or nothing on damage, and it's range isn't exactly great. If you are going to mount a ac/10, you should think long and hard about mounting a 20 instead (and making it work tonnage and spacewise however you must). The /2 has range and speed, the /5 has overall efficiency, and the /20 has punch. The /10 has.... ? =p Having a ac/10 instead of the lb10x isn't going to markedly improve your brawling ability - your main punch there is still the srms. And having the ac/10 instead of the lb10x isn't going to do you any favors in the long range/dealing damage sooner than later department either.

Unless the victor is far speedier and more mobile than I thought (I think i've seen all of one in the game, ever) and more durable to boot, not sure you aren't better served by a ac/20 hardcore brawler or a lb10x increasing leathality as you approach build instead of an ac/10 brawler.

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:04 AM

For a personal opinion to throw one in there..
LB-10X + AC/5.

#9 Bohxim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 523 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 04:44 PM

The ac10 is a balanced weapon that has both range and punch, couple that with the best ammo efficiency and optimum single punch for critting components (everything other than ac20 calibre guns have 10 or less hp), makes it a very nice weapon. But it's best used in pairs and some backup lasers imo. If you're gonna pair a single ballistic with srm, I too would recommend the ac20

#10 War Kitten

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 103 posts
  • LocationUnder a Cat

Posted 07 January 2017 - 07:53 PM

Greetings All,

First off thank you all for your help! Posted Image

I tend to agree that this is a brawler mech, so I went with an AC20 (5T Ammo + the 20% range/velocity/5% cooldown quirk, which, in my not-so-humble option is needed for the 20), 2ML, srm4 x2, srm6 x1, 4T ammo, 345 XL w/4DHS (internal) and max armor (10 pts on back to give me a fighting chance against those damn lights) and the rest up front.

After all that was crammed in it is still 1 ton under. I thought that I could swap an srm4 (had 3) for a srm6, but needed to lose 1t ammo (had 5ton), to fit the srm6 and was still under 1 ton. I left the 6 on to add a little bit more punch without needing to worry about spread too much. Usually I am taking off leg armor to get another ton of ammo or sum such, but ran out of slots to put stuff in. I am running at about 65 kph (non mastered) and didn't think getting a 1 ton heavier xl was worth the 5mil and am not sure if sacrificing speed to get STD eng to free up the 6 slots used is worth it.

Does anyone else have this type of problem or is it just me?

Thanks for any advice!

War Kitten

#11 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:32 PM

If you already had an XL345 in your inventory, then the cost of upgrading to 350 is not really worthwhile unless you're absolutely swimming in cbills. Even the extra heat sink slot doesn't really justify a 5.7mil investment when you already have the next best thing. The 9S(C) comes stock with a 340... no real reason to upgrade from that, either. Use whatever you have that's closest to what you want, and only spend the money on a new XL when you don't have anything close to the rating you need.

With that in mind, though, when planning a build you should think in increments of 25 for your engine, because that's where the heat sinks and heat sink slots live. 200, 225, 250 (255 if XL), 275 (280 if XL), 300, 325, 350. Anything in between will tend to be something you buy only for a specific application, whereas those ratings you'll find yourself coming back to over and over. Buy a 350 and you will recycle it on another build if you happen to change your Victor build later... but ratings like 340, 345, etc. sit in funny places. A build with an in-between rating like that is usually either a 325 build that's been over-engined or a 350 build that's been over-gunned. Use it if it's what you have- it won't make a huge difference- but if you're building from scratch look for those increments of 25.

Edited by WrathOfDeadguy, 07 January 2017 - 10:32 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users