Questions About Wolf's Dragoons

6 replies to this topic

#1 Xarthok

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:03 PM

Hi I'm new in MWO,

I played mechwarrior IV Mercenaries before, so i get affinity to Wolf's Dragoons, I want to do it as role as possible so i have several questions:

1) As a mercenary can i play with clan mechs? because my english is not the best and what i have seen is that its no possible, only IS mechs

2) This question is more for lore ppl. I get interested in King Crab mech. Is possible for a wolf`s dragoon to have one or its to force too much to make it fix.

3) If King crab is not a lore option wich mech would you recommend

Thanks in advance

#2 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:26 PM

View PostXarthok, on 18 January 2017 - 09:03 PM, said:

Hi I'm new in MWO, I played mechwarrior IV Mercenaries before, so i get affinity to Wolf's Dragoons, I want to do it as role as possible so i have several questions: 1) As a mercenary can i play with clan mechs? because my english is not the best and what i have seen is that its no possible, only IS mechs 2) This question is more for lore ppl. I get interested in King Crab mech. Is possible for a wolf`s dragoon to have one or its to force too much to make it fix. 3) If King crab is not a lore option wich mech would you recommend Thanks in advance

Hey and welcome to MechWarriorOnline!

As a mercenary, you can play Quick Play games with IS or Clan mechs. For Faction Warfare you can only use Clan or IS depending which side you are on.

If you are a Freelancer, then you again can play anything in Quick Play but if you want to play in a Faction Warfare game it has to be with their Mechs.

If you are in a Merc Unit, they tend to switch from side to side so you will need both kinds. Starting as a member of the Wolf Clan I was stunned that the Clan would hire mercs....

But as I'm sure you know, Wolf Dragoons took what seemed to be random contracts but they ended up working for about everyone and that was the plan. It was their job as scouts for the Clans to go to each faction and discover it's strengths and weaknesses.

Your Bud; LUG

#3 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:12 PM

So, in short, make a mercenary unit, Grab what mechs you like best, Clan or IS and then either fight for the clans, Revealing your true nature and piloting the mechs of your people! Or don't, and Pilot Inner Sphere mechs to glory to thrawt your misguided brethren under one of the banners of a great house.

Or do both! (Alternating weeks, cuz that's how long the contracts last.)

(I hear Steiner could use some help setting up an Arc-Royal Cordon.)

~Leone.

#4 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:32 PM

strictly lore based, Wolf dragoons started as a clan scouting mission but they were exclusively armed with star league era IS tech (much of which had been lost to the Inner Sphere at large)meaning they were significantly more advanced than other merc corps.

by the Clan Invasion Wolf Dragoons had some Clan tech but were still mostly using IS tech, and were fighting for the IS against the Clans

the dragoons end up using a lot of tech from both sides in later years.

in game,
as a merc corp you can take contracts with Clan or IS for faction play, if you have a Clan contract you can play with Clan Mechs but not IS, if you have an IS contract you can play using IS Mechs but not Clan.
at current you do not have a contract, so you can respond to "call to arms" and depenging if you respond to a Clan or IS call to arms you will be using Clan or IS Mechs

in quick play you can use any Mech regardless of your current contract, if in quick play you can only see Clan or IS make sure the filter at the top of the Mechlab is set to "both" ragher than "Clan" or "Inner Sphere"

#5 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:10 AM

In addition, you can buy yourself a Wolf's Dragoon Decal in the mechlab (only applicable to mechs you really own, not the trial mechs, be warned though: play enough with the trial mechs to get a good idea of what you like or your first mech purchase might be a disappointment), I believe this is a premium decal and would cost you 500MC (MC can be bought with real money or sometimes earned in events).

Edit: Such a decal can be used over and over again on any mech you own, multiple times on a single mech even.

There's nothing stopping you from piloting a King Crab unless you want to do Faction play for the Clans. That said, the King Crab is a pretty big (flat surface, torso easily hit, especially with LRMs) with low slung main weapon arms (which means largely exposing yourself when you want to fire the big guns).
In addition it is slow like most Assaults so if you end up in a bad spot you'll probably die there.

That's why Assaults are usually not recommended for newer players.

The King Crab is not a Trial mech at the moment unfortunately, otherwise you could try it out in real games. Maybe try the trial Warhawk to get a feeling for a big mech with lower hanging arms? It is much faster than most King Crabs though.

You can also pilot yourself a King Crab in the Mechwarrior Academy, it is one of the mechs you can switch into. At least it will give you a feel of its lumbering pace.

(I still really like my own King Crabs, but then again I've been playing this game for 3+ years so I know how to handle slow Assaults)

Edited by SnagaDance, 19 January 2017 - 12:11 AM.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:00 PM

I will look into wolf's dragoon techs for the lore side. This said King Crabs were typically used for defensive roles. So very likely for garrison duties.

#7 Xarthok

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:36 PM

Thank you guys you were very helpfull!
I hope to join a wolfs dragoon unit when i get enough practice and experience!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users