- - - - -

How The Kgc Is Against Other Assaults?

11 replies to this topic

#1 Magnetizer

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:21 PM

Sorry for my bad english :P

So, i realy liked the looks of hin and the kodiak, and i'm doing fairly well in assault mechs, i would like to know the best for a begginer, also i don't like dakka builds i preffer versatility in my mechs, like kgc000b, kdk 04, dwf-w, etc...

So how the KGC is doing against those new assult mechs like the kdk and the mad iic?

#2 Vlad Striker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:14 AM

Keep range, lock arms and have clear shot and KingCrab 4хUAC5 will be the best. But not any map allow such conditions :)

#3 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:40 AM

Its good. Its not king of the hill but it can make some strong builds.

Its disadvantages are the same as the other 100 tonners, slow, big hit boxes, and mostly low mounted hardpoints.

#4 Napoleon_Blownapart

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:42 AM

the high shoulder mounts are great on the king crab.

#5 Nerd Incognito

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 59 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:46 AM

Honestly, it doesn't fair that well against the other options, IMO. It's BIG, it's got a big, flat head that makes it vulnerable to LRMs, and it's slow.

The MAD-IIC can be quite fast, tanky, and versatile. It's a fantastic mech, and my current favourite. Of the variants, the IIC-A with 3UAC5 and 4MPL is my best performer, and the most fun to pilot.

The Kodiak is still king, even after recent nerfs. If you don't like dakka, the KDK-3 may not be your choice, but there are others. I particularly like the Spirit Bear, which I play with an LBX20 and 4SRMA; the MASC is particularly fun, as it lets you run over 80kph for short bursts, and surprise the hell out of people.

Edited by Nerd Incognito, 06 January 2017 - 06:46 AM.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:18 AM

Against 100 ton IS assaults, it fairs fairly good as the offensive unit (so the heavy hitter; the offense) while the Atlas fairs better as the tanker.

Against other assaults, there's a mixed review. Like any 100 tonner it is slow. It is somewhat tanky, but it has other issues. Its focus is frontal attacks and its weakness is very apparent at long range due to LRM barrages, and when attacked from the sides or behind (much like the Dire Wolf).

I don't have a MAD IIC, but to keep it simple...

Any 85 ton Assault is by large more 'effective' overall than any 100 ton mech, this is due to being capable of speed, offense and tankability (defense) on nearly equal levels, something that normally could only be achieved at the top of each weight class (35, 55, and 75).

Edited by Koniving, 07 January 2017 - 11:19 AM.

#7 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,063 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:05 PM

I rate the King Crab as one of weakest assaults. I would get something else if you don't want to use dakka.

#8 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:20 PM

Look into the Kodiaks if you like Assaults.

#9 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,063 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:43 PM

If you want a cheap all range generalist, I would get a Mauler or Stalker. Kodiaks are quite expensive in c-bills. As you are a new player I don't know your available mech budget.

Battlemasters are another option, though they generally feature more specialized builds.

#10 The Schwartz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 126 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:56 PM

One on one.. regrettablly due to the management of the weapons points on a kgc i would have to say it has to expose itself more than a kodiak is generally slower.. and dialing in an IS mech can be more expensive than a clanner in the long run "matching engines to builds. endo,ff, etc... " i love IS assualts more than clanners but for a new person.. the non kingcrab stuff might be better... it has it's purposes but can be very frustrating trying to dial it in. It's main advantage is it's torso twist is rather brilliant and range of motion is excellent. It just seems much harder to hit things with than an Atlas and doesn't feel as tanky. On level ground they're great.. get 20* up or down and the weapons start feeling useless imo.

#11 Prof RJ Gumby

• The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:04 PM

I still love my KGCs and run them a lot. Definitely they're not newbie friendly, even for assaults class (which is in itself not newbie friendly). I wouldn't recommend them to a beginner.

#12 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:56 PM

Out of the King Crab, Dire Wolf, and Kodiak the Kodiak would win and the King Crab would be the worst of the three.

-Kodiak moves the fastest and has more firepower than the King Crab and higher hardpoints than either, so it can use cover better and hit its targets better.

-Dire Wolf has the highest firepower but the lowest speed, so in a direct fight with no cover it would win, but all maps have enough cover for the Kodiak to take advantage of and win the battle if it picks its locations. Dire Wolf is also so slow that it suffers against light mechs and can be left behind often.

-King Crab has the lowest firepower and a speed between the Dire Wolf and Kodiak, still on the slow side. Its hardpoints are even lower than the Dire Wolf and the ballistics are all arm mounted with no lower actuator, so overall not in a good spot. Its also the widest target due to its pancake like design. Overall I wouldn't recommend it, the Mauler is 10 tons lighter and better.

I'd suggest the Kodiak-3 if you like ballistics though, not the KDK-4. KDK-3 has twice as many ballistic hardpoints as the 4, so it can really put out a lot of damage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users