Could The Unseen Counter Parts Take On Their Original Incarnations?

BattleMechs

20 replies to this topic

#1 Brenden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:37 PM

Say for example we could get both versions of an Unseen 'Mech; it's Battletech version and it's Japanese version. Which would win out? Take for example the Rifleman (ADR-04-Mk.X Destroid Defender)http://www.macross2....d-defender.htm.

On a one-on-one battle, could the Rifleman kill it's Destroid counterpart? The same goes for the rest, though I'm not sure where I could find the Ost-series of 'mechs and their counterparts. As far as I know, they're off the list of Unseen and can be used in their original art again.

Edited by Brenden, 05 January 2017 - 10:44 PM.

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:40 PM

Harmony Gold would loooove that.

#3 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:45 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 05 January 2017 - 10:40 PM, said:

Harmony Gold would loooove that.

Maybe, but considering that most of the BattleTech 'Mechs were built with energy weapons and stronk armor, do you think those Destroids and Pods could get through the armor? Hell, the Rifleman and Destroid Defender are practically the same thing in purpose and use. I think it'd be an even draw.

#4 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:00 PM

The Enterprise would win, tbqh.

#5 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:17 PM

View PostBrenden, on 05 January 2017 - 10:45 PM, said:

Maybe, but considering that most of the BattleTech 'Mechs were built with energy weapons and stronk armor, do you think those Destroids and Pods could get through the armor? Hell, the Rifleman and Destroid Defender are practically the same thing in purpose and use. I think it'd be an even draw.

Either Macross universe guns are too powerful or Macross universe armor is too weak. They all seem to die to one good shot.

View PostYeonne Greene, on 05 January 2017 - 11:00 PM, said:

The Enterprise would win, tbqh.

Inb4 someone calls in the Retribution Class battleship of the Imperium.

Edited by El Bandito, 05 January 2017 - 11:21 PM.

#6 627

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:40 PM

well, with the gauss rifle you can at least calculate the kinetic energy, given we have the velocity and weight of a projectile and with that you can have a real life equivalent of the arbitrary damage (and armor) numbers used in battletech.

So basically you know what they could withstand/dish out in "real life" - Is there anything lore like for macross?

Edited by 627, 05 January 2017 - 11:41 PM.

#7 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:16 PM

View Post627, on 05 January 2017 - 11:40 PM, said:

well, with the gauss rifle you can at least calculate the kinetic energy, given we have the velocity and weight of a projectile and with that you can have a real life equivalent of the arbitrary damage (and armor) numbers used in battletech.

So basically you know what they could withstand/dish out in "real life" - Is there anything lore like for macross?

Uh... They give the caliber of the weapons they have?

#8 Shiroi Tsuki

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,205 posts
  • LocationCosplaying Ruby from Rwby in Aiur, Auckland, GA America, Interior Union, Mar Sara and Remnant

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:22 PM

Do you hear that?
The sound of Harmony Gold

Posted Image

#9 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:46 PM

View PostBrenden, on 05 January 2017 - 10:37 PM, said:

On a one-on-one battle, could the Rifleman kill it's Destroid counterpart? The same goes for the rest, though I'm not sure where I could find the Ost-series of 'mechs and their counterparts. As far as I know, they're off the list of Unseen and can be used in their original art again.

The Ost-series mechs were based on the Zentradi battlepods. The Marauder being a direct copy-paste of the Glaug officers pod.

The Ostroc was a slight modification of the Light Artillery pod, I don't know the Zentran name off the top of my head. And the Ostscout and Ostsol were both pretty much a direct copy of the normal Battlepod, they just gave the Ostsol a pair of humanoid arms.

They also gave these three mechs standard forward bending legs instead of the reverse bend they had in the anime.

#10 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:49 PM

View PostBrenden, on 06 January 2017 - 12:16 PM, said:

Uh... They give the caliber of the weapons they have?

Caliber isn't everything, elsewise the .58 Springfield used in the American Civil War would be more powerful than the .50 Barrett in use today.

#11 Random Carnage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 946 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:16 PM

Ballistics 101 for those that may not have had much to do with real firearms.

Speed tends to beat armour rather then mass. Big, heavy, relatively slow moving projectiles have good "stopping" power in that they dump all their energy into the target, but if said target is armoured to any extent, it may not penetrate.

On the flip side, a much lighter, faster round can retain some of its energy as it passes through a target, which reduces its ability to drop a target in its tracks, but improves its potential to punch through armour.

Example, 12 ga 1oz slug travelling at say 1500 fps will dump a huge amount of energy into a deer, or any soft target, and said deer will likely drop where it was shot. Hit same deer with a fmj .308 at around say 2800 fps, and the projectile may over penetrate, going right through it, and the deer may run 50 yards into the bush before finally dropping - which can then be a bit annoying to retrieve. Pro-tip, if you're not sure of an instant kill shot, put the bullet right up its rear end and the resulting trauma to the hip/spine/nerve area will drop it immediately and prevent it from running.

#12 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:19 PM

I think the Macros mechs would probably wipe the floor with their BT unseen counter parts.

The Tomahawk a.ka. the Warhammer has more weapons and two rocket launchers in its side torsos, filled with Japanese cartoon rockets of overkill, that magically reload in seconds.

#13 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:26 PM

Posted Image

#14 Rycard

• PipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:33 PM

It would depend on how you translate the damage their weapons do against the other universe.

IF you take into account the palladium books system, on paper robotech/macross mechs have a distinct range advantage with all of their weapons.

Short range missiles in macross had a range from 2 to 5 miles, while the longer ranged ones have hundred mile ranges.

Direct fire weapons also have much longer ranges as well. Macross radar and sensor ranges also exceed battletech's easily.

Macross mechs also have a much higher ground speed and agility compared to battletech especially veritechs vs LAMs.

Another consideration is that equipment quality in general is much better in macross since most of their gear is comparatively fresh while battletech gear has been recycled over the centuries, at least for the 3025 era.

#15 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:21 PM

View PostRycard, on 06 January 2017 - 03:33 PM, said:

It would depend on how you translate the damage their weapons do against the other universe.

IF you take into account the palladium books system, on paper robotech/macross mechs have a distinct range advantage with all of their weapons.

Short range missiles in macross had a range from 2 to 5 miles, while the longer ranged ones have hundred mile ranges.

Direct fire weapons also have much longer ranges as well. Macross radar and sensor ranges also exceed battletech's easily.

Macross mechs also have a much higher ground speed and agility compared to battletech especially veritechs vs LAMs.

Another consideration is that equipment quality in general is much better in macross since most of their gear is comparatively fresh while battletech gear has been recycled over the centuries, at least for the 3025 era.

But isn't Macross in a pseudo-early 2000s? Wouldn't the material they have be sorely lacking compared to the futuristic materials of the 31st century? Sure the BattleMechs have been recycled for centuries, but wouldn't it still stop their firepower? Sure they have the range, but so do the BattleMech's weapon systems if one goes by the advanced rules; LRMs could go out to at least 1,250m, while the Large Laser could theoretically hit something a little bit beyond that range, if the dice roll is high and you could actually aim at something that far.

#16 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:49 PM

View PostBrenden, on 06 January 2017 - 04:21 PM, said:

But isn't Macross in a pseudo-early 2000s? Wouldn't the material they have be sorely lacking compared to the futuristic materials of the 31st century? Sure the BattleMechs have been recycled for centuries, but wouldn't it still stop their firepower? Sure they have the range, but so do the BattleMech's weapon systems if one goes by the advanced rules; LRMs could go out to at least 1,250m, while the Large Laser could theoretically hit something a little bit beyond that range, if the dice roll is high and you could actually aim at something that far.

Yes, it was like 2009 or something in the first episode of Robotech, I don't recall off hand when exactly Macross was set, but it had to be right around there because of the short known as "Macross: Flashback 2014", but keep in mind that the technology on what would become the SDF-1 was at least several hundred years advanced than what Earth had at the time. The crash landing of what would become the SDF-1 leap-frogged Earth's technology by a huge margin.

Literally the only reason the Zentradi didn't run roughshod all over the SDF-1 was they were under the same sort of conditions as the Inner Sphere in the early 31st century. All of their equipment was hundreds of years old by the time they arrived at Earth, and while they had numerical superiority, they could just barely keep their fleet running.

It's pretty much exactly like Battletech.

The Zentradi is the Inner Sphere, and Earth is the Clans.

Of course the whole culture shock thing certainly gave Earth a huge advantage.

#17 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:59 PM

View PostAlan Davion, on 06 January 2017 - 04:49 PM, said:

Yes, it was like 2009 or something in the first episode of Robotech, I don't recall off hand when exactly Macross was set, but it had to be right around there because of the short known as "Macross: Flashback 2014", but keep in mind that the technology on what would become the SDF-1 was at least several hundred years advanced than what Earth had at the time. The crash landing of what would become the SDF-1 leap-frogged Earth's technology by a huge margin.

Literally the only reason the Zentradi didn't run roughshod all over the SDF-1 was they were under the same sort of conditions as the Inner Sphere in the early 31st century. All of their equipment was hundreds of years old by the time they arrived at Earth, and while they had numerical superiority, they could just barely keep their fleet running.

It's pretty much exactly like Battletech.

The Zentradi is the Inner Sphere, and Earth is the Clans.

Of course the whole culture shock thing certainly gave Earth a huge advantage.

Huh.
Maybe I should give Macross a look, it stopped airing long before my time and the only thing I got to watch regarding robots was Cyborg 009, Gundam Wing/00 and Zoids. God I loved Zoids. We need more Quad mechs.

But in all, if they're more-or-less at the same technological level, wouldn't the Battletech Universe still edge them out in terms of Numerical Superiority alone? There must be BILLIONS of people across the Inner Sphere, maybe even Trillions - and who knows HOW many Battlemechs. I'm guessing around two or three million.

#18 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:00 PM

View PostAlan Davion, on 06 January 2017 - 04:49 PM, said:

I don't know about that - As I recall, the only reason they didn't steam roll Earth is because they didn't know what in the hell was going on. For at least the first half of the original Macross series, the Zentradi refuse to push their advantage because they simply don't believe they have one.

In addition, the SDF-1 (And Earth) is run by imbeciles that don't understand the ship they're flying, and every misstep is so catastrophically dumb that the Zentradi assume it must be some sort of trap, or the 'Micronians' know something they don't.

#19 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:06 PM

View PostBombast, on 06 January 2017 - 05:00 PM, said:

I don't know about that - As I recall, the only reason they didn't steam roll Earth is because they didn't know what in the hell was going on. For at least the first half of the original Macross series, the Zentradi refuse to push their advantage because they simply don't believe they have one.

In addition, the SDF-1 (And Earth) is run by imbeciles that don't understand the ship they're flying, and every misstep is so catastrophically dumb that the Zentradi assume it must be some sort of trap, or the 'Micronians' know something they don't.

That sounds part of the skit to a Monty Python joke.

#20 MacClearly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:19 PM

WHAT?

Is this really supposed to be serious?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users