- - - - -

Warhawk For A Lrm Boat

13 replies to this topic

#1 Old Fart 61

• PipPip
  • The Cub
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:41 PM

Just started this game and I do enjoy it. I bought the WHK prime when it was half price off during the holidays. Biggest reason was the + 30 Cbill.

Now I find I suck at brawling. Im lucky to get any more than 100 dmg a game. Not supprising because I seem to suck at any kind of brawler game. ( WOT ect. )I was thinking about doing a support warhawk. LRMs I guess.

Any ideas on a build I should have and how to play it. Hell at this point if I could avg 300 to 400 a damage a game I would be very happy.

Thanks

#2 epikt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:05 PM

Something like that I suppose.
As for "how to play it?", just like other LRM boats: stay with your team, maybe a little behind the front line but not too far away, get your own locks as much as possible.

edit: you can also try this kind of lrm/laser hybrid, good for a support mech.

PS: don't say you suck at brawling. Warhawk is not the best brawler, someday you might find a brawler mech that suits you. And it's not so easy to pilot a brawl in a PUG game when your team is not commited to a close range strategy.

Edited by epikt, 07 January 2017 - 01:10 PM.

#3 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,157 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:11 PM

View Postepikt, on 07 January 2017 - 01:05 PM, said:

Something like that I suppose.
As for "how to play it?", just like other LRM boats: stay with your team, maybe a little behind the front line but not too far away, get your own locks as much as possible.

PS: don't say you suck at brawling. Warhawk is not the best brawler, someday you might find a brawler mech that suits you. And it's not so easy to pilot a brawl in a PUG game when your team is not commited to a close range strategy.

Nobody should ever have to use the C-ERLL and the TC1 isn't really doing anything for you in a LRM build.

BUT! If you want to support your team, embrace the mech's quirks, learn to shoot and kill stuff with the ERPPCs it was made for. This is a more conservative forgiving version that can alpha.

Edited by TercieI, 07 January 2017 - 01:11 PM.

#4 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:25 PM

View PostOld Fart 61, on 07 January 2017 - 12:41 PM, said:

Just started this game and I do enjoy it. I bought the WHK prime when it was half price off during the holidays. Biggest reason was the + 30 Cbill.

A regurlar Warhawk Prime does not have the cbill boost, only the WHK-Prime(I) from the Clan Invasion pack gets the 30% cbill boost

if you want a Warhawk LRM boat the B is better because it has a CT Missile hardpoint, allowing it to mount 4 LRM racks, the Prime can only have 3.
if I was to make a LRM boat on the Prime it would be Warhawk Prime LRM boat, armor distribution is not exact
the way I would use it would be stick with the main group and fire LRMs with line of sight and my TAG on the target as much as possible.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 07 January 2017 - 01:28 PM.

#5 Old Fart 61

• PipPip
  • The Cub
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 05:50 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d4f54359345b021

looking at the erppc build you have its only a damage of 40 when I do it on my bot, they have a 5 point differnce from on game to this site. Am I missing something

#6 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,157 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 07 January 2017 - 06:07 PM

View PostOld Fart 61, on 07 January 2017 - 05:50 PM, said:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d4f54359345b021

looking at the erppc build you have its only a damage of 40 when I do it on my bot, they have a 5 point differnce from on game to this site. Am I missing something

Clan ERPPCs do 10 damage to the section they hit and 2.5 to two adjacent sections, so some sources show 10 damage, some show 15. Both are kinda right.

#7 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 07 January 2017 - 06:51 PM

View PostOld Fart 61, on 07 January 2017 - 12:41 PM, said:

Now I find I suck at brawling. Im lucky to get any more than 100 dmg a game. Not supprising because I seem to suck at any kind of brawler game. ( WOT ect. )I was thinking about doing a support warhawk. LRMs I guess.

Any ideas on a build I should have and how to play it. Hell at this point if I could avg 300 to 400 a damage a game I would be very happy.

Thanks

Disclaimer: People will say all sorts of things about LRM's, most of which is true. Regardless, at entry level play, they're effective enough, but understand as you face better opposition, they'll become MUCH harder to use and less effective overall. They're always usable, mind you, but are vastly less effective against experienced opponents.

I ran this: WHK-B

For a fairly long time, and actually enjoy it for a Warhawk. Key points for play:

1) It's not a "hide in the back" mech. Be up close to the front, though not leading charges unless there's nothing else to do (warhawks have mediocre at best hitboxes and are pretty fragile). You need to get your own LRM locks, NEVER rely on other people's locks nor waste LRM's herfing them around at random.
2) You can group fire, but will eat ghost heat. Group fire is for when you have a short window on a good shot (missiles aren't going to hit rocks etc) but will not be able to continuously fire. Otherwise, just chainfire them to avoid ghost heat and constantly shake your opponent.
3) Stay at "LRM Optimal" range as much as possible - this is around 400m - in the early to mid phases of a match. Don't be afraid to take some fire, but you're not tanking here. Don't rush to get the lasers going - you can't use both effectively at the same time, as the 5xMPL's are hot. LRM's are most effective here: At 400m, players don't get enough time between firing and impact for the warning to allow them to get to cover. If you're up front with your brawlers and such, you can fire over them (BE CAREFUL TO FIRE OVER THEM, NOT INTO THEM) to tear up and disorient their opposition.
4) Once things get close, or ammo runs low, THEN you push in aggressively. The lasers are hot, but you've got excellent cooling. Don't overheat, and those 5 MPL's burn 40 point holes in things: That's like a dual AC20 Jagermech, it hurts. Get used to how much heat firing them generates, and twist while waiting for heat cap to fire again - it's quick, you've got lots of DHS.

If you only have the prime, then try something like: WHK-PRIME

In either case, don't leave your Right Arm WHK-B Lower Arm Actuator at home; you want the reach it gives you with the medium pulses.

Alternatives: LRM10's+Artemis.

Most important with the above: If you CAN be firely the lasers - things are that close - ONLY fire the lasers. They're way more effective in terms of heat/time > damage conversion.

The LRM's are to allow you to contribute some decent #'s before you move in with the lasers. Firing them close just wastes heat that could be spent with the more accurate and reliable lasers.

Edit: As an aside, the above is why I prefer this to the SRM/MPL warhawk. Once you're close enough to be firing everything, you're better off not firing the SRM's in a majority of cases - which makes them entirely useless. If you're gonna go SRM, better to pair em with ballistics IMHO.

Edited by Wintersdark, 07 January 2017 - 06:53 PM.

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:46 PM

Warhawk with LRMs?
Looks kinda like this -- note; most of this match before I started recording I was bored so I was watching a youtube video when my friend told me how quickly our team was getting wiped out and the enemies were going for our base, so I alt-tabbed to do a little more than the occasional lob of missiles and we held this final stand.

Before I alt-tabbed again to start Fraps, it was 7 on 3 + turrets. By the time the video starts, there's only 2 of us left, myself in my Warhawk and Lordred in his 224 armor 40+ single heatsink "5 minute" Awesome (yay super overpowered quirks!).

#9 DemonicDonut

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 79 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:11 PM

I run my WHK-PRIME like this. You'll have to buy the B right arm and right torso. Make sure to get that lower arm actuator! I'm also a big Tag advocate for any LRM boat, as well as an Active Probe. The TC1 is optional.

I've had many 1000+ dmg games. You can fire all 3 LRMs without much worry about heat, but do 2 then 1 half a second later for best efficiency.

I run my WHK-B like this. Don't try to brawl, the srms are good for close targets but don't get cocky. I find it more manageable than ERPPCs heat wise. You can drop the Probe and TC1 if wanted. I like the Probe over TC1, for ecm countering. The decrease in target data delay is excellent at aiding you in blasting off components.

Remember that this mech has 20 heat sinks, no need to add more.

The Warhawk is a fire support mech. It can carry a lot of firepower, but is pretty big and blocky, making it an easy target.

#10 Old Fart 61

• PipPip
  • The Cub
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:33 AM

View PostDemonicDonut, on 07 January 2017 - 10:11 PM, said:

I run my WHK-PRIME like this. You'll have to buy the B right arm and right torso. Make sure to get that lower arm actuator! I'm also a big Tag advocate for any LRM boat, as well as an Active Probe. The TC1 is optional.

I've had many 1000+ dmg games. You can fire all 3 LRMs without much worry about heat, but do 2 then 1 half a second later for best efficiency.

I run my WHK-B like this. Don't try to brawl, the srms are good for close targets but don't get cocky. I find it more manageable than ERPPCs heat wise. You can drop the Probe and TC1 if wanted. I like the Probe over TC1, for ecm countering. The decrease in target data delay is excellent at aiding you in blasting off components.

Remember that this mech has 20 heat sinks, no need to add more.

The Warhawk is a fire support mech. It can carry a lot of firepower, but is pretty big and blocky, making it an easy target.

I like the build but I would like to know ho do I get and what is the lower arm actuator ?

Also How does the tag and probes work?

#11 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:41 AM

View PostOld Fart 61, on 08 January 2017 - 12:33 AM, said:

I like the build but I would like to know ho do I get and what is the lower arm actuator ?

Also How does the tag and probes work?

on an Omnimech if lower arm or hand actuators are available there is a tick box to add them in the Mechlab.
A lower arm actuator gives the arm side to side movement, it takes up 1 slot and does not weigh anything.

Target Acquisition Gear (TAG) is a laser pointer, if held on target and within range (I think 750m) unless you are within an enemy ECM bubble it speeds target info, speeds missile lock and improves LRM tracking.

Active Probe (Clan or Beagle) gives you faster target info, allows you to target shut down Mechs within, I think, 90m, increases sensor range by 200m, and shuts down 1 enemy ECM within 240m, if you are also carrying an ECM you loose the counter ECM function of the Active Probe

#12 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:34 AM

This works well LRM40/MPL

Drop a heatsink if you want more ammo.

Or you can do LRM45/MPL, ensure you do not use LRMs when the fight gets inside 350m. It takes a bit more work to manage the heat with 5MPL but far more devastating to anything that does get close

#13 Old Fart 61

• PipPip
  • The Cub
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:13 PM

Would the mid pluse lasers be more deadlier than a lrg laser or the c eerppc ?

#14 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:49 PM

A single ERPPC/LPL is pointless. I would not waste time with a single. You need to double, and there is not the tonnage for it. MPL have great duration and work well out to 400M or there about, drop 1T ammo for a TC (plus range module) and the cMPL works well out to closer to 450M.

End of the day you are an assault. You have armour, so you should be up with you team sharing/rotating it. LRMs work best between 250-500M anyway. Less flight time, you're then hitting the target your team is etc.

So LRMs as you approach and once inside 400M, let them MPL belt the living daylights out of whatever. @ 33-40points of dmg (5MPL build), 2 shots and you're taking off most torso's etc. It's reasonably heat efficient too as the WHK has so many locked HS, long as you stop the LRMs.

Plus the MPL work well if targets are under cover etc from LURMS, but still inline of direct fire.

It's a good build if you wanna run LRMs but still play a hard/fast style of game and push. Also only needs 3 weapon groups. LRMS on chain fire and MPL broken up in either arm (in case you need to poke a side etc).

Edited by justcallme A S H, 09 January 2017 - 06:51 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users