• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 1,444 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationA fog where no one notices the contrast of white on white

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:24 PM

Hello,
I've been dropping in many matches lately where the enemy team has been MUCH heavier than our own team. Tonight I dropped for a couple hours. Here's four screenshots from four matches where my team was hopelessly outweighed. (Suggested solution: 3/3/3/3 per match whenever possible, that is 3 light, 3 med, 3 hvy, 3 aslt - yes, I know it used to work this way, and fact is, I liked the variety it created. Either that or weigh mech types/battle value/tonnage more than PSR in matchmaking.)

I'm reporting it here in case it IS a bug, and not a seemingly unfair matchmaking mechanism.

http://images.akamai...t=inside|1920:*

Edited by Peiper, 02 January 2017 - 10:24 PM.

#2 Snazzy Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:10 AM

Group queue matchmaker does not take tonnage into consideration. If you do not take advantage of the max tonnage for your group you will almost always have less tonnage than opposing groups.

Just be glad there are no more 12 100 ton mech drops like there used to be.

#3 Peiper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 1,444 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationA fog where no one notices the contrast of white on white

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:51 AM

View PostSnazzy Dragon, on 03 January 2017 - 01:10 AM, said:

Group queue matchmaker does not take tonnage into consideration. If you do not take advantage of the max tonnage for your group you will almost always have less tonnage than opposing groups.

Just be glad there are no more 12 100 ton mech drops like there used to be.

There are quite nearly those matches. 2 people in a group can take 100 tons each. I've seen groups with 8 or more assaults in one team. When you see that arrayed against a 12 man with nothing bigger than 55 tons-ish, you see how lopsided it can get. Encouraging people to maximize their tonnage does nothing to help variety, either. You say you don't miss 12 x 100 ton mechs, but I miss 12 x Jenner fights.

3x3x3x3 is a better compromise, I think. Then lights and mediums have their place, without fear of being overwhelmed in the majority of matches.

#4 Insanity09

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 551 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:18 AM

You could also go for a 2/4/4/2 mix (l/m/h/a).

Sadly, though sensibly, PGI opts to allow people to play what they want, and since damage is king, that means heavier mechs. Yes, you can have high damage matches in a light or medium mech (I do at times), but it is also quite likely that one wrong turn will get you killed or neutered, even if you are a fantastic light/medium pilot. Most people can't accept that, so, again, they play heavier mechs. Add that non-damage play (intel and capping) really isn't rewarded, and poof, you have our current usage trends.

I have tried suggesting that a bonus system be implemented to encourage playing the less used classes, to no avail.
In addition to your suggestion of class requirements, there are other ways to bring things around to larger medium/light use, but they are even less likely to happen (go back to rebuild/refit/repair costs in some fashion, transport costs by tonnage of mech, tonnage tariffs, etc.).

Edited by Insanity09, 06 January 2017 - 01:18 AM.

#5 AncientRaig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 584 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:09 PM

I had a game where my team had a Spider and a Kintaro as our quick mechs. That was it. On a Conquest game. We absolutely slaughtered the enemy because we had 10 heavies/assaults, but we lost to cap because our quicks didn't have enough force amplification (or desire apparently) to try and take points.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users