Unlock All Earned Faction Rank Titles

9 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you like to unlock all earned Faction rank titles? (37 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to unlock all earned Faction rank titles?

1. Yes. (29 votes [78.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 78.38%

2. No. (2 votes [5.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.41%

3. Don't care. (6 votes [16.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.22%

4. Maybe. Who's asking? (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 19 April 2015 - 04:37 PM

I was really stoked to find out that one of the CW ranks for FRR was "Kavellrist", because I used to be in the Norwegian cavalry (i.e. armoured division) and so the name quasi-Scandinavian name for cavalryman / dragoon has a certain sentimental value to me.

But right now, I don't want to play any more CW, because I don't want to lose that title. As silly as that may sound.

I'm sure there must be other people who have a certain affectation for other ranks. Whether they have the rank of Sergeant or Captain in real life, or whether they have invented a sort of fictional character for themselves and want that character to hold a certain rank, I imagine there are other people out there who would like to choose their own rank, if it were possible.

I'm suggesting that all earned Faction ranks should be unlocked. So even if I was a Davion rank 15 (General) for example, I would still be able to choose 'Colonel' or even 'Private' as my displayed title.

This would be especially useful for organized units, for example a Clan Wolf unit with designated galaxy commanders, star colonels, star commanders, warriors, etc. They would have the ability to appear on the battlefield in their unit colours, displaying appropriate titles to indicate their ranks, if they so chose. As opposed to having 12 Star Colonels in the same company.

I really can't think of any negatives to giving players this choice.

Just to clarify: Someone with rank 1 would not be able to unlock any titles from higher ranks. A rank 1 Davion player would not be able to choose a rank 2 title, for example. But a rank 2 Davion player would be able to choose a rank 1 or 2 title.

Edited by Alistair Winter, 19 April 2015 - 04:39 PM.

#2 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 19 April 2015 - 04:52 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 19 April 2015 - 04:37 PM, said:

I was really stoked to find out that one of the CW ranks for FRR was "Kavellrist", because I used to be in the Norwegian cavalry (i.e. armoured division) and so the name quasi-Scandinavian name for cavalryman / dragoon has a certain sentimental value to me.

But right now, I don't want to play any more CW, because I don't want to lose that title. As silly as that may sound.

I'm sure there must be other people who have a certain affectation for other ranks. Whether they have the rank of Sergeant or Captain in real life, or whether they have invented a sort of fictional character for themselves and want that character to hold a certain rank, I imagine there are other people out there who would like to choose their own rank, if it were possible.

I'm suggesting that all earned Faction ranks should be unlocked. So even if I was a Davion rank 15 (General) for example, I would still be able to choose 'Colonel' or even 'Private' as my displayed title.

This would be especially useful for organized units, for example a Clan Wolf unit with designated galaxy commanders, star colonels, star commanders, warriors, etc. They would have the ability to appear on the battlefield in their unit colours, displaying appropriate titles to indicate their ranks, if they so chose. As opposed to having 12 Star Colonels in the same company.

I really can't think of any negatives to giving players this choice.

Just to clarify: Someone with rank 1 would not be able to unlock any titles from higher ranks. A rank 1 Davion player would not be able to choose a rank 2 title, for example. But a rank 2 Davion player would be able to choose a rank 1 or 2 title.

Or, perhaps, allow units to specify appreviations for their ranks, and have said abbreviation show along with their name in game?

I do think you should have access to all unlocked ranks as well, though, as you say. You earned that rank, after all.

#3 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 08:07 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 19 April 2015 - 04:52 PM, said:

Or, perhaps, allow units to specify appreviations for their ranks, and have said abbreviation show along with their name in game?

I do think you should have access to all unlocked ranks as well, though, as you say. You earned that rank, after all.

I wouldn't mind both.

#4 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 29 April 2015 - 08:19 AM

That sounds reasonable to me; as you say, you did earn that title, so it would make sense that you could use it whenever you wanted after unlocking it. :)

Not that it currently makes much difference to me, seeing as I have not played enough CW to unlock much of anything. XD

#5 Ryoken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 744 posts
  • LocationEuropa, Terra

Posted 29 April 2015 - 10:29 AM

+1

#6 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 01:16 PM

View PostWonderSparks, on 29 April 2015 - 08:19 AM, said:

That sounds reasonable to me; as you say, you did earn that title, so it would make sense that you could use it whenever you wanted after unlocking it. :)

Not that it currently makes much difference to me, seeing as I have not played enough CW to unlock much of anything. XD

Thanks! That's what I'm hoping people will agree with. It may not make a big difference to some people, but it's such an easy fix with no drawbacks at all :)

#7 Xetelian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 01:44 PM

I'm all for this

#8 Sereglach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 29 April 2015 - 01:54 PM

I say go for it. People earned the ranks. After all, just because you earn one title doesn't mean it blocks or obsoletes another. The same should be said for CW ranks.

Even for mercenaries this should be the case. If you work with people long enough they will probably recognize you with some honorary rank, after all. It doesn't mean you must display it, it just means that it is available for you if you so desire.

#9 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 02:33 PM

Unfortunately, I'm not playing CW any more with this account now. I'm at 93% before getting Rank 6, and I really like this title. So I'm just going to play CW with my Clan account and that'll be it. Obviously, this isn't an ultimatum or anything like that, I just think it's unfortunate that I can't choose to display a lower rank's title :)

#10 GI Journalist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Major
  • Senior Major
  • 595 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:13 PM

I have no desire for silly upper rank titles. I very much miss the lower rank titles that I had.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users