12 replies to this topic

#1 Myke Pantera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 836 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:57 AM

Since we have this community run poll for which mechs we would like to see in 2017, with a pretty high participation of almost 700 players so far, I am wondering if PGI should do these kinds of polls themselves?

They did it once with "Zeus vs Cyclops vs Charger", but they haven't done it ever since...

Is PGI not doing this, because people are not 'surprised' by their mech choice anymore?

Do you think PGI should give us more choice in the upcoming mechs via forum polls, or is this going to be frustrating or unfair to some parts of the community?

If these kinds of polls where to be announced in the game client itself, I'm pretty sure they would get a lot of feedback.

What do you think? Would it make more people happy and engaged, or would it cause more frustration than it would do any good.

Looking forward to your thoughts!

#2 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,890 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:07 AM

My thoughts?

As long as the existing mechs are as borked as they are and to a large extent either redundant or "suffering" from power creep, I really don't care about new mechs, polls to decide new mechs, or if/how "PGI should give us more choice" in selecting them.

Until IS 35 tonners have a role again, until mechs with absurdly low hard points have a function or a remodel, until mechs with identical hard point selection and the same tonnage have clearly distinct roles, etc. I just don't care what new super duper over quirked, power creeping mech they want to bring into the game or how its chosen.

When PGI actually meets their stated goal of making every mech down to the variant level be of equivalent value regardless of their role, then I will care about new mechs. Until then: whatever. New mechs are just more ways to make the game even more imbalanced.

#3 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

No, but it would be nice if they made polls for real issues like balancing and long term design.

#4 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

PGI made forum poll is fine. After all, they know most accurately just how much time is required to make certain chassis. And majority of the non-forum users probably care little about what the next mech would be.

#5 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:09 AM

I assume we're talking about a Twitter poll? The forum is the vocal minority. Twitter represents the real community.

#6 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:39 AM

While nice, it would be counter productive as we would get fan favorites, like the Stinger and Wasp, that might be questionable performers in the MWO environment.

#7 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,828 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:54 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 10 January 2017 - 05:39 AM, said:

While nice, it would be counter productive as we would get fan favorites, like the Stinger and Wasp, that might be questionable performers in the MWO environment.

Only care bout the Wasp if it have the annoying buzzing sound when using it's jumpjets, like it did in the Mektek pack(forgot which one).

But on topic, their will be a ton of fan service mechs coming into the game, while not bad some of the meta folks will be in a hissy fit or just complain why IS keep getting crappy mechs, compare to clans that is fan favorites and effective in the game. I prefer they have poll on the forums of the top four mechs that should be added from both sides. Two from each side.

#8 Bradigus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:12 AM

The poll would end up looking exactly like that community poll.

IS get nothing but nostalgia fueled dumpster fires entirely dependent on obnoxious hardpoint inflation and quirks, Clans get mostly efficient chassis that fill a role in their stable with one or two instantly shelved dumpster fires sprinkled in there.

Edited by Bradigus, 10 January 2017 - 08:33 AM.

#9 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:26 AM

Should PGI take the community's wants into account? Well... duh. They are the ones paying out.

Should it be the only thing they take into account? Of course not. Video Game player bases are fickle, nasty things.

Edited by Bombast, 10 January 2017 - 10:35 AM.

#10 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:34 AM

No. I think they should finish off the remaining mechs from MW:2, then go into current tech TRO 3060 mechs. What they should have a poll on is how we want future mech packs to be released (since I really don't like surprises from this company). In that case if they were to make a public poll, I'd vote either one Clan/one IS per month or 2 Clan/2 IS double packs per month.

Edited by Arnold The Governator, 10 January 2017 - 10:36 AM.

#11 Antares102

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:48 PM

The polling gave us the Kodiak.
I am for polling... makes ot more feel like a customer on my end.
Who wanted the Huntsman again? Right.... nobody.
Never heard from it until it was announced.

#12 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:50 PM

Why bother making a poll?

The answer is ALWAYS the Scorpion.

#13 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,557 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:53 PM

View PostAntares102, on 10 January 2017 - 01:48 PM, said:

Who wanted the Huntsman again? Right.... nobody.
Never heard from it until it was announced.

What? Posted Image

The Huntsman was asked for more than any other medium when speculation was rampant on which 2 Clan mediums would be revealed because people believed it would be the new god chassis for the Clan mediums (and they were wrong, like I told them Posted Image).

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 10 January 2017 - 01:53 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users