- - - - -

Just A Hello And Help...

23 replies to this topic

#1 Coalfire

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:11 PM

Just saying hello, and I had a question about joystick control, c-bills and mech damage.

I have been trying to configure my joystick to be able to play. I have been adding one keystroke/command at a time, using my profiler. (my left hand control sucks on the key board).
Anyways, I keep checking my joystick setting under the settings tab in game (academy), and the changes don't seem to show there.
I also noticed that there is a joystick 0 and a joystick 1, I have never manually configured a joystick before. But I only have one connected to my computer, why does it show 2?

Next question, what are c-bills good for ... I understand they can be used to buy things in game, but what type of things and is there limits?

The other thing is mech damage ... I have never played a live game, just academy (I'd die before ground fall, lol). Mech packs can be expensive, if damaged in the real game, do I need to pay real money to fix my mech (buy new ones) or just c-bills and if it is just c-bills, can I buy all the parts or do I need to salvage them from the field?

Thanks in advance for the help

#2 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:22 PM

View PostCoalfire, on 10 January 2017 - 12:11 PM, said:

The other thing is mech damage ... I have never played a live game, just academy (I'd die before ground fall, lol). Mech packs can be expensive, if damaged in the real game, do I need to pay real money to fix my mech (buy new ones) or just c-bills and if it is just c-bills, can I buy all the parts or do I need to salvage them from the field?

Nope. They used to have in-game repair and rearm costs, but got rid of it.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 10 January 2017 - 01:54 PM.

#3 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:36 PM

Use the search function for the joystick, I think there are some troubleshooting threads.

C-bills are for nearly everything in the game, and will buy you everything that is game play related. Cosmetics are MC only for the most part.

No salvage, no repair, no re-arm. No upkeep on your mechs or inventory.

#4 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:45 PM

You can waste all the LRMs you want to....

#5 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:56 PM

Just saying hello, and I had a question about joystick control, c-bills and mech damage.

I have been trying to configure my joystick to be able to play. I have been adding one keystroke/command at a time, using my profiler. (my left hand control sucks on the key board).
Anyways, I keep checking my joystick setting under the settings tab in game (academy), and the changes don't seem to show there.
I also noticed that there is a joystick 0 and a joystick 1, I have never manually configured a joystick before. But I only have one connected to my computer, why does it show 2?

The first thing that comes to mind for me is "just beat joystiks" (at least in this game)
Anyway if you don't know how to configure your hardware (or do you mean the keybinds and axisbinds ingame?) you're better of learning to use keyboard for directional movement and your mouse for aiming and weaponsfire.

Next question, what are c-bills good for ... I understand they can be used to buy things in game, but what type of things and is there limits?

C-bills are your non realworld money currency for buying your own Mechs, Weapons and Mechupgrades.
You have a limit of 3 Mechs at the start, but there is no other limit to your inventory.
Before you spend realworld money for mechpacks or even C-bills for your first own mech you should try out all trial mechs for SEVERAL matches to see what mech type and weapons fit you best.

The only realworld things that may get damaged or taken from you is your pride and your patience Posted Image
As others said: No upkeep, no repairbills, no salvage.

But I would suggesting staying in akademy for some time to gather the akedemie reward for completing their challanges.
Also your first 25 pvp matches will give you a fat kadet bonus.

#6 Coalfire

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:45 PM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 10 January 2017 - 12:56 PM, said:

C-bills are your non realworld money currency for buying your own Mechs, Weapons and Mechupgrades.
You have a limit of 3 Mechs at the start, but there is no other limit to your inventory.
Before you spend realworld money for mechpacks or even C-bills for your first own mech you should try out all trial mechs for SEVERAL matches to see what mech type and weapons fit you best.

The only realworld things that may get damaged or taken from you is your pride and your patience Posted Image
As others said: No upkeep, no repairbills, no salvage.

I have tried out many of the mechs in the academy, there are quite a few I like. As for real money and buying mechs, I like some of the mech packs and what they offer, including game time. Looks like a better deal then just buying individual mechs.

As someone said in and earlier reply ... fire all the LRM's you want ... Hell has no fury as unlimited LRM swarms, just remember you have limited amount in a match.

Now about the real word pride, no worry there. I take pride in knowing that the moment I hit ground in game that I will have my mech blown out from under me, lol. Anyone have an Atlas I can hide behind, I will watch you back armour ;)

View PostThe Basilisk, on 10 January 2017 - 12:56 PM, said:

The first thing that comes to mind for me is "just beat joystiks" (at least in this game)
Anyway if you don't know how to configure your hardware (or do you mean the keybinds and axisbinds ingame?) you're better of learning to use keyboard for directional movement and your mouse for aiming and weaponsfire.

I was talking about key bindings and axis binding. In my profiler, I can set some of the key binds and axis binds. I can't get some of my joystick buttons to bind, I have 12.

In the in game joystick settings, I can get the bind button to show up, but when I push the button I want it is not picked up by the settings program.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:28 PM

Click the space for the command you want to bind via a fast double click then try. It is very picky about the double click speed. Takes me about 4 or 5 tries to get it to accept.

Friday evening you are welcome to hide behind my Atlas. Me and hellsgate are gonna team up for the first time in about a year so I plan on plenty of action.

Edited by Koniving, 10 January 2017 - 04:35 PM.

#8 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:01 PM

Man, I miss that map.

Coalfire, you know the little LFG button on the bottom of the mechbay, near the feet? Just to the right is the friends button. Should be flashing blue. If you see me on, just send me a message, and if I'm dropping, keep on playing. The ingame chat is not the best, and I've ben known to miss messages whilst dropping with my unit.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 10 January 2017 - 06:34 PM.

#9 Coalfire

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:32 PM

Koniving, I might just take you up on that Friday, if I can get control of my mech movement, unless you want a recon or light mech running into your backside or between your legs, lol

As for the button binding in the joystick setup, yes I found that out. It is a little touchy, maybe comstar can fix that, it is not getting the bind button to come up, it is getting it to accept when I push the button. It is almost like my joystick button push is not being picked up, it just won't register.

#10 Coalfire

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:26 PM

OK, now I am really confused. I haven't been to the academy, nor adjusted my joystick setting but when I went to the academy all my settings changed. My torso turns when I use the twist feature of my stick (a good thing), my mech turns, and moves forward/backwards with the x-y axis (good), yet my throttle lever only works in reverse and is backwards.

I don't know whats happened, can anyone direct me to where my MWO configs are so I can take a peek?

PS: I am using logitech extreme 3D pro. Since I started working on this my old,old school knowledge is starting to return. Seems like a lot of the same formats (similar) to dos,pascal, fortran and basic are used.

#11 Aescwulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 311 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:33 PM

under controller in the settings, although in the academy some stuff is enabled default like throttle decay etc.

#12 Coalfire

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:37 PM

View PostAescwulf, on 12 January 2017 - 12:33 PM, said:

under controller in the settings, although in the academy some stuff is enabled default like throttle decay etc.

Thank you, I was looking for the game settings (configs) on my computer, the ones that configure the game for windows. I should have been more clear, sorry.

#13 Aescwulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 311 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:43 PM

I have no idea sorry I use a keyboard and mouse.

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:34 PM

View PostCoalfire, on 12 January 2017 - 12:37 PM, said:

Thank you, I was looking for the game settings (configs) on my computer, the ones that configure the game for windows. I should have been more clear, sorry.

Specifically...
The Academy forces entirely default control settings last I heard.

Annoying, but since I only change a single key from the default settings for the keyboard and mouse it doesn't bother me much. If I were to use my joystick setup I would probably be peeved.

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:46 PM

So me and Hellgate took to group play Friday night. We had some good and bad games, and we had this one. Despite us all being a bit rusty we managed to do pretty decent overall.

Here's an idea of how one of the better ones turned out.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Hope you join us for the next one.

#16 Coalfire

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:27 PM

Ok so I'm just going to keep using this thread to ask my dumb a** questions. I was just messing around in the testing grounds, just trying out my new mech and to try to get the mechanics of the game (premium time?). I was also in the mechlab looking at mech info, there is a section call warehouse where it appears I can buy new equipment. Can this equipment be stored or saved or do I have to install it on a mech?

In the testing ground I had a display show up in the bottom right of my cockpit it showed 12 mechs, I looked all over and only killed 8, couldn't find any others. Tried night vision and heat vision, still found nothing. Just glad they didn't shoot back, lol.

#17 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:35 PM

View PostCoalfire, on 15 January 2017 - 01:27 PM, said:

Ok so I'm just going to keep using this thread to ask my dumb a** questions. I was just messing around in the testing grounds, just trying out my new mech and to try to get the mechanics of the game (premium time?). I was also in the mechlab looking at mech info, there is a section call warehouse where it appears I can buy new equipment. Can this equipment be stored or saved or do I have to install it on a mech?

In the testing ground I had a display show up in the bottom right of my cockpit it showed 12 mechs, I looked all over and only killed 8, couldn't find any others. Tried night vision and heat vision, still found nothing. Just glad they didn't shoot back, lol.

Huh, wasn't aware the warehouse lets you buy the stuff without putting it onto a mech first. That might be new.

This said, normally I buy stuff by putting it onto my mech. And if I want to store it, I take it off my 'Mech where it goes to the Warehouse.
Next time I go to equip that same piece of equipment onto any of my (compatible) 'Mechs, it will bring the one from my warehouse instead of buying a new one.

#18 Coalfire

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:45 PM

I was looking at another forum post under frequently ask questions about joystick support.

Yes, you can change over the controls to match your preferred keyboard layout. Joysticks are also implemented into the game and can be reconfigured. Know that joystick functionality is still incomplete and we are still working to optimize them.

This was posted in 2013, my question is did it go any further then a basic functionality implantation or has anything been done since then to optimize them? I do understand that most people like the mouse/keyboard combination, but there are some of us (me for one) due to certain limitations are unable to use both arms and hands fully.

Edited by Coalfire, 15 January 2017 - 01:46 PM.

#19 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 15 January 2017 - 02:05 PM

View PostCoalfire, on 15 January 2017 - 01:27 PM, said:

View PostKoniving, on 15 January 2017 - 01:35 PM, said:

Huh, wasn't aware the warehouse lets you buy the stuff without putting it onto a mech first. That might be new.

This said, normally I buy stuff by putting it onto my mech. And if I want to store it, I take it off my 'Mech where it goes to the Warehouse.
Next time I go to equip that same piece of equipment onto any of my (compatible) 'Mechs, it will bring the one from my warehouse instead of buying a new one.

the warehouse does not allow you to buy stuff directly, when you fit a weapon to a Mech ether it comes from your storage warehouse or your techs send a courier to the local supliers warehouse to collect the equipment so they can fit it to your Mech.

the warehouse is just a name given to combine your inventory and the Mechlabs inbuilt store

#20 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 15 January 2017 - 02:10 PM

View PostCoalfire, on 15 January 2017 - 01:45 PM, said:

I was looking at another forum post under frequently ask questions about joystick support.

This was posted in 2013, my question is did it go any further then a basic functionality implantation or has anything been done since then to optimize them? I do understand that most people like the mouse/keyboard combination, but there are some of us (me for one) due to certain limitations are unable to use both arms and hands fully.

last I checked (about 6 months ago) joysticks work, but not anywhere near as well as Keyboard and mouse, many times I have tried to get MWO working properly with my X52 Pro Hotas joystick and throttle, and do not get me worng, that combo does work, but not anywhere near as well as keyboard and mouse, however if you just want to walk arround in big Mechs blowing other Mechs up it will work, just probably not as well as Keyboard and Mouse

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users