6 replies to this topic

#1 Rasputyn

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 25 posts
  • LocationEngland, South Coast

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:16 AM

Hi guys, im not so new, but have been gone over a year. I wondered if MASC had been implemented yet? also are there any/any plans for more weapons systems???

#2 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:36 AM

Yes but it is only available on a handfull of mechs.
Like ECM MASC is a feature that can only be mounted on mechs with the ability to do so.
Also due to the game mechanics of MWOs mechlab the Tonnage invested in MASC does not pay out in most cases.
Reason is that the tonnage you invest in MASC is the same or more that, invested in a bigger engine yields the same result but without the risks of using MASC.
The only situations where installing MASC makes sense is when you reached engine cap, or if you are in an Omnimech.

So the Mechs with MASC that make sense are:

-- KDK-Spirit Bear with 400XL (immagine an Assault with ~70kph cruising speed and boosts up to 90kph and the payload of an AS7S....yea in ya face)

-- Gladiator: Ominimech and next to engine cap anyways so it makes sense

-- Shadowcat...well...

#3 Prof RJ Gumby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:52 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 12 January 2017 - 03:36 AM, said:

(...)
Also due to the game mechanics of MWOs mechlab the Tonnage invested in MASC does not pay out in most cases.
Reason is that the tonnage you invest in MASC is the same or more that, invested in a bigger engine yields the same result but without the risks of using MASC.
The only situations where installing MASC makes sense is when you reached engine cap, or if you are in an Omnimech (...)

No, no, no, no.

MASC can be VERY useful. Max speed is a neat boon, but not crucial, especially when you can use the tonnage to take a larger engine. What's important, MASC allows you to GREATLY increase accelleration, deceleration and turn rate when you need it, a lot more than a bigger engine could. Returning to cover twice as fast after peeking, going from max forward speed to max reverse speed on a dime, brawling... of course you need to learn how to use it first.

EDIT:
on weapons systems: there is nothing new, but you might want to know MGs and Flamers work now, especially on clan mechs. MGs have been buffed so they make sense on some fast platforms as heatless damage buff&structure eaters, while flamers have their heat reworked so that they can be efficiently used to overheat your enemy.

Edited by Prof RJ Gumby, 12 January 2017 - 03:56 AM.

#4 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:25 AM

How MASC works in MWO

You hold down the MASC button (I cannot remember what it is, mine is mapped to shift) to activate MASC, while MASC is active you have a bar, when the bar gets into the red you start to suffer leg damage, the bar depleats relatively quickly
With MASC active your Mech gets a speed increase of 20% or more, far more than the same tonage on extra engine would give, your acceraleration and agility are increased by 200+%

That meens the Shadow Cat handles like a Locust when it's MASC is active

Mechs which can mount MASC (from memory)
Executionor, fixed, all varients
Shadow Cat, fixed, all varients
Wolverine, removable, 1 varient
Kodiak, removable, 1 varient the Spirit Bear
I think the Phoenix Hawk has a MASC capable variant as well
I think that is all of them but I could be wrong

#5 Stormie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 279 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:42 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 12 January 2017 - 09:25 AM, said:

How MASC works in MWO

You hold down the MASC button (I cannot remember what it is, mine is mapped to shift) to activate MASC, while MASC is active you have a bar, when the bar gets into the red you start to suffer leg damage, the bar depleats relatively quickly
With MASC active your Mech gets a speed increase of 20% or more, far more than the same tonage on extra engine would give, your acceraleration and agility are increased by 200+%

That meens the Shadow Cat handles like a Locust when it's MASC is active

Mechs which can mount MASC (from memory)
Executionor, fixed, all varients
Shadow Cat, fixed, all varients
Wolverine, removable, 1 varient
Kodiak, removable, 1 varient the Spirit Bear
I think the Phoenix Hawk has a MASC capable variant as well
I think that is all of them but I could be wrong

The phoenix hawk Is the 3S
The only one you missed is the recently released loyalty cataphract.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:06 AM

MASC can be 'pumped' to make it last longer, and it recovers quickly. Rapidly varying your speed makes you much harder to hit with ballistic weaponry and to 'focus' laser fire on specific body parts, too.

That's almost crucial for the Shadow Cat as it can't take much punishment.

#7 Boulangerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:33 AM

When I've seen MASC used effectively, it hasn't been for a pure speed boost. It's for a quick burst to full speed. One example is to quickly recover speed lost after a jump, or to poke out or retreat from a peek.

I haven't tried it yet, because the only MASC capable mech I own is the loyalty Cataphract, but I've heard great things about it on the shadowcat and Spirit bear. Executioner seems like a pretty neat chassis as well, although it's a steep investment.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users