#41 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:15 PM

View PostMechaBattler, on 12 January 2017 - 02:02 PM, said:

So the best way to use AC2s, is boat the hell out of it. Sounds about right for MechWarrior Online.

Anything like an AC2 with rapid recycle/low damage per shot requires a lot of exposure to incoming damage. It's just not worth it with less than 4 unless you can hide or hit and fade or carry some sort of short range secondary to back-up 2-3 AC2.

#42 Tristan Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:25 PM

So the best way to use AC2s, is boat the hell out of it. Sounds about right for MechWarrior Online.

Yeah, that about sums it up. And unfortunately, PGI is balancing weapons around how effective they are when boated. The AC5 is balanced around the 5xAC5 Mauler, the CUAC10 is balanced around the KDK-3, etc.

There's not a lot of room for the DRG-1C with a single AC2 mounted on its only ballistic hardpoint, I'm afraid :P

#43 Magnus Santini

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 708 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:30 PM

So to answer Mr. Winter's question, the AC2s are pointed at his exposed clan CT just outside clan gauss range!

Edited by Magnus Santini, 12 January 2017 - 02:34 PM.

#44 JudauAshta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 264 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:16 PM

dat 8 uac2 ultraviolet

#45 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,657 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:27 PM

That has always been the best way to use AC2s, even in TT.

#46 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:36 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 12 January 2017 - 03:27 PM, said:

That has always been the best way to use AC2s, even in TT.

The Bane approves of this message.

#47 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:40 PM

So the best way to use WEAPONS, is boat the hell out of it. Sounds about right for ALL GAMES EVER AND REAL LIFE.

Fix'd

#48 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:51 PM

You guys have no flair, this is how you use the AC2:

Dakka-Bird

#49 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:19 PM

View PostNRP, on 12 January 2017 - 12:45 PM, said:

How much ammo do you carry, and how do you keep it cool?

I run 675 rounds, but I routinely run dry in matches. But I still pull 700-1000 dog games. I just hate running around like a stick until the game ends.

Same amount of ammo. I consider pulling 700-1000 damage games as the norm as well. And if I run out of ammo, that just means I did my job excellently. If you really do not wish to run around as a stick, then put 4 ERSLs on your right side, by sacrificing one UAC2. With NGyr-D you can carry 5 ERSLs.

#50 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,913 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:46 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 12 January 2017 - 03:51 PM, said:

Dakka-Bird

im going to steal this build.

really ive been doing the same thing on my cinder so its not that new.

Edited by LordNothing, 12 January 2017 - 06:46 PM.

#51 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:39 AM

Dakka-Bird

I've used the dual AC2 Huginn for at least a year now, I think. It never overheats, which is good. But the DPS is just ridiculously low. It only works if people aren't paying attention to see that there's a slow and squishy Huginn firing away at them. It's one of those "support mech" builds people like to talk about. It works as long as you're ganging up on someone and try not to let anyone notice you.

Now, if PGI would actually go and buff the AC2 or give the Huginn some ballistic quirks, it would be nice to have more than a single viable build for that hero mech. SRM boating gets old after a while.

#52 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:42 AM

IS side only, and i have run these in many matches and had much fun in all! (FYI, out of 100 mechs, these are the only ones i would run ac2's in outside of the Shadow hawk 2H, which can run triple, but i don't own, but will one day!)

Blackjack BJ-1, rapid fire, major long range harasser, quick enough to move, and lay down more fire, quirks really boost the DPS on this one.

Jager JM6-S, Quad Ac2's, good amount of ammo, still quick enough, and has a pair of ML's. It's just a solid mech.

Victor 9B, Triple AC2's with pair of ML+SRM4's back up.. I swear this is a really fun mech.. Have had many great matches in pugs with it. Quite a few times i have been the high scorer in the match at 700-800+ Such a great feeling doing that in this forgotten mech... Just use your speed/mobility to your favor, and repeat to yourself, I am not an assault.. i am not an assault.. :)

#53 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,905 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:02 AM

Dakka-Bird

It had just occurred to me, that the original question Mr. Winter asked, was focused on the state of the weapons themselves, yet most of us who have put forth a positive state for the AC2 have focused on specific mechs that are quirked to the begeezus to encourage their play, or have high hard points to allow their massing, or both.

I had started to re-evaluate my view, in that the weapon is not underestimated as much as certain mechs and/or certain quirks are. I mean I get that certain skilled players oft state that "quirks don't matter", but for a weapon like the AC2, I think quirks might just matter more than maybe any other factor. Would you run AC2s on a BJ if it had no AC2 quirks? How about no ballistic quirks at all? What about the Jagger? What about...the Huggin?

Hmmm.

I don't know. I get the value both as a fun novelty, and as a potentially practical low range, low tonnage harasser, but in any case I think it is still an exceptional/outlier build for trying to understand "the state" of the AC2. Anyway, still starting to think that if we just look at the weapon itself compared to other weapons, the AC2 is not as great as some of us may have initially thought; and the good results some of us have with its use are more about quirks than about the weapon being good.

#54 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:54 AM

I had some rather good success running my Black Widow with quad AC2 last month. Only 10 battles, but I averaged 709 damage/battle, 1.9 kills/battle and 3.17 kills/death.

I didn't go quite as good in my BJ-1; 10 battles too, with only 439 damage/battle, 0.9 kills/battle and 1.50 kills/death, but that is still decent by my standards.

Edited by Zergling, 13 January 2017 - 06:55 AM.

#55 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:19 AM

Ohh wait i forgot, I also have run a quad Mauler, but not sure if i like it enough.. Also, there is the cicada 3C which can run dual AC2's, Or a ERPPC+ac2.. (i never ran it like that, but maybe should try since the buff)

#56 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,657 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:34 AM

View PostTristan Winter, on 13 January 2017 - 01:39 AM, said:

Now, if PGI would actually go and buff the AC2 or give the Huginn some ballistic quirks, it would be nice to have more than a single viable build for that hero mech. SRM boating gets old after a while.

Or they could just give us back the machine gun SRMs, man I miss those :(

#57 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:42 AM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 13 January 2017 - 08:34 AM, said:

Or they could just give us back the machine gun SRMs, man I miss those Posted Image

I felt dirty after using them. Had two use two kinds of soap to wash the guilt away.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users