I Guess It Was Too Much To Hope For Balancing Current Stuff, Then Filling In The Gaps

116 replies to this topic

#41 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 14 January 2017 - 04:57 PM

View PostMechaBattler, on 14 January 2017 - 04:55 PM, said:

What if they increased HP and added an RNG mechanic that reduces the damage? It wouldn't be reliable, but it would potentially extend the life of a mech a bit. Won't help much if you're getting focused fire though, not unless RNGeezus is on your side. Could increase standard engine HP too to make it the most durable engine.

wouldn't bother me, but don't let McGral hear you praying to RNGeezus.

#42 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 05:28 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 14 January 2017 - 04:57 PM, said:

wouldn't bother me, but don't let McGral hear you praying to RNGeezus.

Haha. Yeah I imagine all of the competitive crowd would be pissed.

#43 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 05:31 PM

View PostMechaBattler, on 14 January 2017 - 05:28 PM, said:

Haha. Yeah I imagine all of the competitive crowd would be pissed.

I tend not to lose a lot of sleep over what they get pissed over.

#44 Brain Cancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 05:39 PM

View PostAlan Davion, on 14 January 2017 - 11:51 AM, said:

Keep in mind most Clan weapons can't be properly balanced precisely BECAUSE the IS doesn't have their equivalent weapons.

Clan ER Small/Medium, Clan UAC 2/10/20, Clan LBX 2/5/20, Clan Streak 4/6 all dominate the game because they have nothing to be balanced against.

You won't be able to balance Clan against IS even if we got LFE, etc.

The two systems were meant to be fundamentally imbalanced in TT in terms of "X tonnage of IS" vs "X tonnage of Clan".

You could get "balance" by mixtech, but that simply narrows things down to the best of each tree you can stuff into a (Clan) chassis which everyone would then use. You could have asymmetrical balance, but too many people fudge their shorts at the thought of their one robot being inferior to the other guy's robot, even if two of yours spanks one of his.

The problem has always been at the top of the designer food chain, and as it cannot be fixed, neither will this.

#45 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 06:00 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 14 January 2017 - 05:31 PM, said:

Yeah. But try to drum up support for anything that isn't alpha warrior online and they can't help but chime in.

#46 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 06:02 PM

View PostFupDup, on 14 January 2017 - 12:20 PM, said:

Two reasons.

1. The Atlas has low mounted hardpoints, making it take on a brawler role by necessity. Gauss is a long-range weapon, so you always want it mounted in mid or high height hardpoints. The Jagermech has these high mounts.

2. The Atlas has large side torso hitboxes that can be hit easily. The Gauss Rifle explodes easily. Thus, the Gauss Rifle in your Atlas side torso will reduce your life span. Jagermech arms on the other hand don't get hit that easily and your arms can eat up some of the explosion damage before it hits your torso.

A Gauss-wielding Atlas is a bad build, but the Gauss is great on various other mechs.

the atlas is a terrible ballistics carrier for exactly that reason, except that one variant that can carry a pair of uac5s (less likely to loose both). my latest build just uses an ac5, and that gets critted out like clockwork. it actually works out too, you end up with a lot of srms and med/medpulse, and the ac5 gives you some range when the battle starts, when you get close enough where your ac5 is in danger of being critted, you are typically in srm range anyway and are better off using those. you can still pump ac5 rounds into the enemy, but its less of an issue when it is lost.

#47 The Lighthouse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 06:03 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 14 January 2017 - 05:31 PM, said:

Fortunately and unfortunately, PGI can't afford to piss off even more players at this point for this dwindling game.

Besides, the modern game design is running away from RNGness as well.

#48 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 06:14 PM

View PostAlan Davion, on 14 January 2017 - 11:51 AM, said:

Keep in mind most Clan weapons can't be properly balanced precisely BECAUSE the IS doesn't have their equivalent weapons.

Clan ER Small/Medium, Clan UAC 2/10/20, Clan LBX 2/5/20, Clan Streak 4/6 all dominate the game because they have nothing to be balanced against.

With the IS getting their remaining weapons to bring both sides to equivalency, and possibly both sides getting into Tech Level 3, both sides would be easier to be balanced against each other with their current weapons.

It's the tech level 3 stuff that will throw balance all the f*** out of whack and will give both us and PGI new balancing nightmares.

Still, our current stuff will be more balanced once the IS gets their remaining weapons.

because having Pulse Lasers with half the range, Gauss that weighs 25% more, SRMs and LRMS that are twice as heavy, Streaks that are 50% heavier, UACs and LBX that are bigger and heavier, ER LAsers with all the heat, less damage and 75% of the range.... yeah that makes everything even.

Certainly makes up for your double sized endo and ferro, our 3 Crit DHS...yup..... Catch Up Tech certainly fixes all the imbalances.

#49 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,748 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:44 PM

Oldie but a goodie Posted Image So why didn't PGI use the TT as a guide line for the isXL? They likely had intentions to implementing an actual engine crit system, but once they decided to NOT go that route, and once they finally added cXL movement penalty in Dec 2015 as a second penalty, while not bring engines more in line with each other with different penalty flavors that did not include death w/loss of one side torso? /shrugs (rhetorical question Posted Image )

https://mwomercs.com...tober-road-map/

Destruction of a Clan Side Torso
Although we hope to eventually put in a full engine critical hit system that would affect both IS and Clan 'Mechs, we are going to start out with a change to place some penalty on a Clan 'Mech that loses a side torso. Essentially, there needs to be some penalty for losing 2 critical engine slots. Using the tabletop game as a guideline, we have decided to not make movement a part of the penalty but to save that for some future implementation on the effects of heat on your 'Mechs functionality. A Clan engine has a total of 10 critical engine slots and the destruction of a Side Torso in a clan ‘Mech means the loss of two of those slots, or 20%. With this in mind, we have decided to implement a rule that the destruction of a side torso in a Clan 'Mech will result in a loss of 20% of the engines internal heat sink capacity. By way of example, a Timber Wolf with 15 internal engine heat sinks will lose the cooling equivalent of 3 of those heat sinks. A small penalty, but we feel that heat sink loss along with the loss of everything in that torso and arm will be enough.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 14 January 2017 - 09:44 PM.

#50 GrimRiver

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationIf not here and not there, then where?

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:03 PM

Reasons why current tech can't be balanced is because there nothing to balance anything against it.

The only tech that IS and clan has that is comparable is GR and SRM's,

The other tech either has a huge range gap or performs a function it's counterpart can't perform.

Once IS gets it's tech to fill in the gaps then balancing can get underway.

#51 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:08 PM

View PostGrimRiver, on 14 January 2017 - 10:03 PM, said:

Reasons why current tech can't be balanced is because there nothing to balance anything against it.

The only tech that IS and clan has that is comparable is GR and SRM's,

The other tech either has a huge range gap or performs a function it's counterpart can't perform.

Once IS gets it's tech to fill in the gaps then balancing can get underway.

I find that amusing, considering each jump forward also adds new Clan tech that will require even more balancing and crude inclusion in the game of far more elegant weapon systems that PGI cannot into actually coding to function, because PGI.

The biggest thing will be, as always, a new line of robots for them to sell you.

#52 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:12 PM

I hope when they are going to introduce the new stuff, they take their time and do a re-evaluation of the current weapons as well.

Currently, weapons like IS small laser and C-ERLL are so bad that its not even funny.

I don't know if they are bringing in LFE or not. (honestly i do not think they are bringing in LFE)... but either way, clan vs IS engines are in need of balancing before anything else.

#53 GrimRiver

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationIf not here and not there, then where?

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:24 PM

View PostBrain Cancer, on 14 January 2017 - 10:08 PM, said:

I find that amusing, considering each jump forward also adds new Clan tech that will require even more balancing and crude inclusion in the game of far more elegant weapon systems that PGI cannot into actually coding to function, because PGI.

The biggest thing will be, as always, a new line of robots for them to sell you.

Some clan tech does get outright better but tech like H-large lasers pump more heat than a C-ERPPC,
so I can't see more than 2 at a time on a mech and their range is almost equal to IS LPL.

But the IS filler tech I'm mostly talking about is SSRM, UAC and ER lasers.

#54 0bsidion

• 1,653 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:32 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 14 January 2017 - 11:56 AM, said:

Who is we? I'm not for or against....er se...just guess I'm trying to figure out which is Team Edward and which is Team Jacob, so I can figure out the politics involved.

(Or are you using the royal we?)

Symmetrical Balance is literally impossible for this IP. Asymmetrical is the only way to achieve...and I'm pretty sure figuring that out and balancing it, is beyond PGIs grasp.

(plus hey.... not like any previous MW title was remotely balanced.... why start now?)

Well, I blame PGI for a lot of things but failing to create exact parity between two factions that were wildly unbalanced to begin with, well, even I can't be mad at them for that. And I guess I'm one of the few that find imbalances to be more realistic and enjoyable.

Also, where was the LFE announced? I can't seem to find it.

Edited by 0bsidion, 14 January 2017 - 10:37 PM.

#55 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:38 PM

I'm going to post here why I find this topic (and some of the responses) to be rather annoying to me personally.

I've been trying--for some time now--to get people to come around to various suggestions for better weapon balance, which almost exclusively focuses on making IS weapons better by directly addressing major weaknesses that people have complained about over a long period of time (and for good reason), but also without overdoing it and treading on new tech or majorly exacerbating power creep in the process, e.g ER PPCs being too slow without velocity quirks so I suggest increasing the base velocity significantly which would be a way of making the weapon better without overdoing it.

What's the response I get largely? HARBLGARBL NO WE NEED A GAZILLION GIGAQUIRKS ON EVERYTHING AND IS XL NEEDS TO SURVIVE SIDE TORSO DESTRUCTION!!!!!!!!!! It's true that some points are brought up occasionally about LRMs needing buffs (which they do) or--as in the OP--small lasers being crap and needing buffs (which they do), but that pretty much covers all the weapon systems that most people think need fixing (because quirks just solve everything else apparently) even though there are definitely more fixes needed for other weapons too.

There's not very many solutions offered even when those weapons are brought up either, and the solutions that are offered are some roundabout nonsense that create more problems than they fix (e.g this thread linked here) or it's just an excuse to cry for stupid, inappropriate buffs elsewhere like IS XL durability, meanwhile the issue with IS small lasers is that they should be 1 heat instead of 2 heat (and, more subjectively, I think they should have a shorter beam duration as well because of their short optimal range) but that's hardly ever brought up (or else it's overshadowed by loud whining about the range being too short) and the C-ER SL is so much better blah blah blah; I almost never see solutions being offered that actually get anywhere or attempt to really fix anything other than crying for absurd power creep which is dumb.

The other problem is that people want existing IS weapons to just be better at everything, so for example people often whine about IS medium lasers not having enough range compared to clan ER medium lasers, except people frequently ignore that IS medium lasers are supposed to be only 3 heat instead of 4 heat (and indeed they should only be 3 heat instead of 4 heat) which is probably because leaving the weapon as an overheated piece of crap is a better position to be in to cry about overdone quirks on every mech.

This is of course where new tech would come in to fill in the gaps with, for example, x-pulse lasers with increased range (without the increased burn time associated with ER lasers) balanced by particularly high heat, except that apparently people don't give a **** about that solution.

How about we try to improve current weapons for the roles they should be used in, introduce new tech with balanced stats to fill in some gaps, and then we can have a nice, diverse set of equipment (for both tech trees) without a power creep arms race destroying the game? I know that the topic I'm berating is "balance first, tech later" which is fundamentally what I want too, but the problem is that the means I'm always seeing to accomplish this is all about power creeping everything through the stratosphere and that's a terrible way of solving anything.

Let's look at a good & relatively recent example of how to buff weapons appropriately: the AC2. For the longest time it generated 1 heat per shot, which made it run atrociously hot due to its low cooldown, and its damage per heat ratio was one of the worst in the game. This was obviously extremely lame for a high tonnage, low damage weapon that was largely wasted when not fired at long range (which is ideally fine because every weapon has its role), but then when you considered the high heat on top of that for a ballistic weapon it was just not really worth it.

Now that it only generates 0.6 heat per shot though (which was only after the heat was reduced to 0.8 heat, which I said was not good enough) I've been reading threads & comments like this one here about how the AC2 is actually decent now, and what do you know that's exactly what I was saying to do for a long time. Normally I would be asking somebody to prove me wrong here and demonstrate to me that the AC2 is actually still bad and all that, but unfortunately the premise of this huge rant is that I don't think many people have solid judgment when it comes to this sort of thing, so if you think I'm wrong then you can try to convince me otherwise but I kind of have a feeling it won't be successful (and not because I'm unreasonably stubborn).

How about we further continue the trend of sensibly improving these weapons that are STILL bad years and years later:

-LB-X cannons, which don't really require many tweaks to the weapon itself but it does require reworking the critical hit system to not be complete dogshit
-ER PPCs, which are too slow
-Medium & medium pulse lasers, which are too hot
-Small & small pulse lasers, which are also too hot
-And least but not least all of the missile weapons, which means SRMs (not enough damage for the drawbacks), SSRMs (not enough damage and atrocious damage spreading making them a garbage weapon except for killing lights), and LRMs (ECM being a ridiculous jesus box hard counter and too much spread on bigger launchers) all need improvement

And then add in balanced new tech where needed, instead of just going off the deep end changing (or adding) things that shouldn't be changed.

I would also like to note that a number of weapon improvements made in the past were suggested by me beforehand (certainly not all of them, but definitely some of them like the AC2 heat reduction as I already mentioned) and so the more I see those improvements being implemented more or less as I suggested, the more I feel completely justified in suggesting further improvements to other lackluster weapons in a similar manner.

I'm also going to address this point in the OP about engines directly, because I'm tired of seeing this nonsense.

View PostMcgral18, on 14 January 2017 - 11:44 AM, said:

We haven't gotten engine balance (cXL>>>isXL>STD), and the (presumably) incoming LFE doesn't fix that either
cXL>>LFE>isXL>STD

--snip--

Bringing in the LFE doesn't magically fix the STD being bad, nor the isXL being incomparable to the cXL. The LFE also doesn't allow for the same payload as Clam mechs can take, but does allow for a LFE ST AC20 (something the isXL cannot do)

Standard engines themselves are not actually bad, because the problems that make STD engines less desirable lie elsewhere in the game and not with the engine itself.

The main problem is that too much of this game's combat focuses on blasting the enemy apart as fast as possible, which is aided by:

-Absurd quirks everywhere, both weapon quirks and structure quirks as well as agility quirks too to a (slightly) lesser extent
-Unbalanced convergence making mechs die much faster than they should and requires complete garbage mechanics like ghost heat and (the now failed) energy draw to compensate for it
-Agility being tied to engine rating, which of course means a STD engine makes your mech far less agile on top of taking up more tonnage, giving less speed, and having less capacity for internal heatsinks, which is dumb; engine rating should not have that much of an impact.

Fix these issues and combat won't be overly focused on trying to kill enemy mechs as fast as possible at the expense of literally everything else--because that would no longer be nearly as effective as a strategy--and then STD engines will see much more use & value, particularly in the huge assault mechs that people put XL engines in anyways and then are deemed bad because people see the effects of making a glass cannon mech.

Guess what all the side torso structure quirks in so many mechs accomplishes? Everybody just crams in an XL engine into every mech to fit in more firepower, which doesn't really solve anything because now there's more firepower on every mech so all this talk about further IS XL durability just makes this issue worse and not better, AND ADDITIONALLY MAKING THE STANDARD ENGINE ACTUALLY, LITERALLY COMPLETELY WORTHLESS WITHOUT SOME SORT OF BAND-AID FIX FOR THE STANDARD ENGINE TOO, WHICH I FIND TERRIBLY IRONIC!!!

Additionally, for probably at least the 20th time now including various other threads, the LFE is not so much more lightweight than the STD engine that the STD engine would be worthless, and similarly the LFE is not so much more durable than the XL that the XL engine would be worthless; it's the definition of a balanced engine because it's a compromise between the XL and STD engine and that's completely fine.

Notice you'll still never take a STD on a Clam mech? 40% less efficient TrueDubs would only affect Sword and Board (which...admittedly is most of my Clams), but it sure as heck won't make me take a STD on my H2C. Omnis have no choice

Clan standard engines are just an unfortunate side effect of Clan battlemechs existing when they shouldn't have, so there's not much to say about it when you can just take the far superior Clan XL engine; maybe someday this can be addressed better somehow but that day isn't now or anytime soon and it's an irrelevant point to bring up when talking about balance currently. *shrug*

Note that I've already gone on at length on all these points (here and elsewhere) so I'm probably not going to respond much further at length, so more brief replies are more likely to get a response than otherwise, assuming you read most or all of this huge rant.

P.S I might feel the need to re-post this as a new topic, so don't be too surprised if I do.

#56 Cementi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 779 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:56 PM

It is possible they felt adding tech was the only real way to balance things.

Not saying I agree or disagree, fact is I think almost everyone of us feels that balance is in a different place and has different ideas on how it should be fixed. I personally feel that before balance can be achieved would be to fix the heat system. Again though everyone has different ideas on that.

Bottom line is I have accepted that this game will never be what I hoped it will be. So I hop in do a few drops now and then. I plan to play fairly regular again once the Assassin drops, at least for a while. I however am a 3025 purist *shrug* to me that was the best time to play battletech. After that the power creep starts to gain speed and once you start getting into the later years it starts to feel like anything under 40 tons is simply not viable. Too much tech and the slightest mistake gets you vaporized so everything that gets fielded creeps up and up in tonnage and turns into these plodding firing lines......sound familiar?

It will still be fun just unless something radical is done I do not see this ever being my number one game again. That's not a bad thing, just simply how it is. I am simply not part of their target audience and I have accepted that and will enjoy what I can of the game when I get the urge to play.

#57 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:57 PM

While we're at it, stepping into the 3060s also starts adding new construction options that would also need work.

Composite internal structure. Half the weight of standard, but half the damage tolerance....but takes up no critical spaces. (3061)

Artemis V guidance systems for the Clans. Actually makes the launcher more accurate, not just improving the number of missiles hitting but also the actual chance for a hit. (3061)

Armored components that can absorb what would normally mean catastrophic damage to a component and allow it to remain fully functional. (3061)

Laser reflective armor. Mitigates energy weapon damage of all kinds, not just lasers. (3061)

Targeting computers become available to the Inner Sphere. (3062)

And that's just two years in. Reactive armor, stealth armor, and CASE II all exist by 3065.

#58 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:59 PM

View PostPjwned, on 14 January 2017 - 10:38 PM, said:

-Unbalanced convergence making mechs die much faster than they should and requires complete garbage mechanics like ghost heat and (the now failed) energy draw to compensate for it

This is an unfortunate side affect of the FPS style game mechanics, where as in TT your dice rolls were randomized by dice rolls.

I honestly don't think there's any possible way to fix this without some form of super heavy handed mechanic. For instance, massively messing with all the weapon cool down timers to force people to wait a much longer time to fire off another alpha strike or one weapon group or another.

Or massively increasing base weapon heat and/or altering the ghost heat threshold for a lot of weapons, reducing the number of weapons you can fire to only 2 at a time in some cases.

Or, if you REALLY want to get overly heavy handed, make it so the player can only fire one weapon at a time, and they have to somehow choose which weapon they want to fire.

For example lets take a SHD-2H Shadow Hawk. AC5, Medium Laser, LRM5, SRM2. Get a scout mech somewhere to get you targeting info for the LRMs. But once either of those mechs are dead, or the battle has moved into closer range, you're then forced to switch to either the AC5, ML or SRMs, although the SRMs would only be useful against the occasional heavy or assault.

Only the ML would be really effective against any lights that get close to you, unless you use a Streak SRM instead of a standard SRM, which would then involve the trade off of not really being able to do much against the aforementioned heavies and assaults due to their increased armor.

There's really no possible way to change or remove the convergence mechanic without utterly destroying the game, which would cause an exodus to rival that of Kerensky bailing on the Inner Sphere after dealing with Stefan Amaris.

#59 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:00 AM

View PostBrain Cancer, on 14 January 2017 - 10:57 PM, said:

While we're at it, stepping into the 3060s also starts adding new construction options that would also need work.

Composite internal structure. Half the weight of standard, but half the damage tolerance....but takes up no critical spaces. (3061)

Artemis V guidance systems for the Clans. Actually makes the launcher more accurate, not just improving the number of missiles hitting but also the actual chance for a hit. (3061)

Armored components that can absorb what would normally mean catastrophic damage to a component and allow it to remain fully functional. (3061)

Laser reflective armor. Mitigates energy weapon damage of all kinds, not just lasers. (3061)

Targeting computers become available to the Inner Sphere. (3062)

And that's just two years in. Reactive armor, stealth armor, and CASE II all exist by 3065.

Those give very interesting tactical options which means that they should be added to make the game much more interesting and varied.

Or maybe shouldn't because it will take too much time for PGI (to implement and balance).

#60 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:07 AM

View PostAlan Davion, on 14 January 2017 - 11:59 PM, said:

There's really no possible way to change or remove the convergence mechanic without utterly destroying the game, which would cause an exodus to rival that of Kerensky bailing on the Inner Sphere after dealing with Stefan Amaris.

Convergence based on target locks would fit that just fine actually. When you have a target lock then convergence would function (essentially) as it does now, and then when you didn't have a target lock it would be set to some sort of default.

The default state of convergence (as in how convergence works without a target lock) is up for debate, although I personally favor weapons converging at their max optimal range.

Edited by Pjwned, 15 January 2017 - 12:07 AM.

54 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 54 guests, 0 anonymous users