How Do You Feel About All The Poptarting?

102 replies to this topic

#1 Snazzy Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:42 AM

I don't think it would be as bad if there were IS mechs that could poptart as well but it's dominated by clan heavies and mediums because their gauss and PPCs are light enough to afford the number of JJs needed to get enough lift to jump snipe.

I really don't want to see JJs nerfed again-- that suggestion is off the table, in my books.

On one hand, I feel poptarting is acceptable because of the skill involved in prediction, positioning, snap aiming, and spreading damage under return fire, and having the brain not to stay in the same spot. It also is restricted to the gauss + PPC combo, meaning the player has to be proficient at using the charge mechanic-- cUAC5s and UAC10s are incredibly awkward for poptarting because of the burst fire mechanic and vastly differing projectile speed compared to the PPC.

On the other hand it is incredibly frustrating to deal with outside of comp matches-- you simply can't gather the kind of coordination you need to deal with poptart mechs and it is impossible to spread damage that goes to a singular place.

A dual gauss + PPC night gyr, dual ER PPC/gauss+PPC summoner, and a gauss + dual PPC timber wolf poptart can wreak havoc on a team of PUGs and their natural reaction is to turtle behind something and get pinned down rather than do something to actively deal with such an opponent.

edit: so people don't miss the part where I mentioned not every average potato does it

Edited by Snazzy Dragon, 15 January 2017 - 08:58 AM.

#2 Too Much Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 787 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:43 AM

You didn't see real poptarting.

#3 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:45 AM

View Postdrunkblackstar, on 15 January 2017 - 08:43 AM, said:

You didn't see real poptarting.

Thank you for your highly constructive feedback. I will treasure it forever.

#4 Too Much Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 787 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:47 AM

Welcome!

But believe me - nowdays "poptarting" is no more than legged ****** compared to HGN -733c meta.

Edited by drunkblackstar, 15 January 2017 - 08:48 AM.

#5 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSomewhere deep in Florida

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:47 AM

My issue is I find many opportunities where the team could absolutely devastate a poptarting Night Gyr or Timber Wolf. I call out the opportunity, but no one acts on it with me, and I'm forced to back off as well.

#6 I_AM_ZUUL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationIsle of Skye (Freeing Skye from the Steiner usurpers)

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:49 AM

View PostSnazzy Dragon, on 15 January 2017 - 08:42 AM, said:

I don't think it would be as bad if there were IS mechs that could poptart as well but it's dominated by clan heavies and mediums because their gauss and PPCs are light enough to afford the number of JJs needed to get enough lift to jump snipe.

I really don't want to see JJs nerfed again-- that suggestion is off the table, in my books.

On one hand, I feel poptarting is acceptable because of the skill involved in prediction, positioning, snap aiming, and spreading damage under return fire, and having the brain not to stay in the same spot. It also is restricted to the gauss + PPC combo, meaning the player has to be proficient at using the charge mechanic-- cUAC5s and UAC10s are incredibly awkward for poptarting because of the burst fire mechanic and vastly differing projectile speed compared to the PPC.

On the other hand it is incredibly frustrating to deal with outside of comp matches-- you simply can't gather the kind of coordination you need to deal with poptart mechs and it is impossible to spread damage that goes to a singular place.

A dual gauss + PPC night gyr, dual ER PPC/gauss+PPC summoner, and a gauss + dual PPC timber wolf poptart can wreak havoc on a team of PUGs and their natural reaction is to turtle behind something and get pinned down rather than do something to actively deal with such an opponent.

It is a side effect of the rampant ignorance of the people on this forum... everyone wants to cry about not changing isXL ST death cause of TT, yet is silent about the fact that you are only allow to fire the weapons from ONE component with jumping under the same system. I would rather have REAL jumpjets that function correctly but instead we have garbage & arbitrary implementation of the ruleset which is what causes so many of the broken Balance issues.

#7 Emden

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:56 AM

Poptarting is not an issue.... it is the range of PPCs that go along with it. My opinion at least...

#8 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:57 AM

View PostI_AM_ZUUL, on 15 January 2017 - 08:49 AM, said:

, yet is silent about the fact that you are only allow to fire the weapons from ONE component with jumping under the same system.

source?

#9 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:59 AM

I don't think it's a problem, jumpsniping is a playstyle that rewards skill because it's fairly complex to do right.

Jumpjets are also still quite weak making poptarting having a very narrow window compared to the old poptart meta days, especially for the heavies.

The main problem is that IS poptarts are so weak compared to the clan ones, it would be nice to see the CTF-3D and shadowhawks back in action so I'd like a targeted buff to PPCs and jumping for them.

#10 Stormie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 279 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:03 AM

I suggest you go play with the blackjack 3 in smurfys ;)

Give the hunchie iic a go with quad uac2. Its like poptarting for newbies. Double tap gives you 16 dmg, with very fast velocity and ability to adjust aim between taps. Once you get that down then move onto adult weapons (ppc/gauss)

Also, when I say poptarting I mean 'poptarting' go watch some vids of proper poptarting from back in the day if you weren't around back then.

#11 Catra Lanis

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,182 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:07 AM

The problem is that once it becomes a viable tactic everybody will do it. I played MW4 long ago. The teams positioned themselves behind a ridge and took turns bouncing up and down, nobody did anythingelse. Besides being boring it looked silly.

Edited by Catra Lanis, 15 January 2017 - 09:08 AM.

#12 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:07 AM

View PostStormie, on 15 January 2017 - 09:03 AM, said:

I suggest you go play with the blackjack 3 in smurfys Posted Image

Hunchback IIC-A does it far better.

#13 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:13 AM

Buff jump jets so that we no longer have hoverjets and suddenly IS assaults such as the Victor and Highlander can get back out there and fight. KDK-2 might actually have a reason to exist also among other variants of mechs.

#14 MacClearly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:34 AM

I suggest you go play with the blackjack 3 in smurfys Posted Image
Give the hunchie iic a go with quad uac2. Its like poptarting for newbies. Double tap gives you 16 dmg, with very fast velocity and ability to adjust aim between taps. Once you get that down then move onto adult weapons (ppc/gauss)
Also, when I say poptarting I mean 'poptarting' go watch some vids of proper poptarting from back in the day if you weren't around back then.
I love the Blackjack for its velocity quirk. Just too bad with IS mechs you have to work so much harder to get even close to the results you can pull off barely trying with Clan PPCs.

#15 I_AM_ZUUL

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationIsle of Skye (Freeing Skye from the Steiner usurpers)

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:37 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 January 2017 - 08:57 AM, said:

source?

Tactical Operations pg 86- Opportunity Fire: Firing on the Move

Seriously... I wish I could say that I was surprised to be questioned about something that I consider so basic that is a TN modifier I can quote off the top of my head without even looking at my lamented table indexes.

Edited by I_AM_ZUUL, 15 January 2017 - 09:40 AM.

#16 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:40 AM

Poptarting is not an issue, currently. At least in SQ and GQ. In wide CW pug maps, I have seen decks with a lot of poptarts, but that affecting a tiny portion of the player base.

#17 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,934 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Give the Thunderbolt 9s some jump jets and now the IS has a similar mech to the loyalty Summoner.
(actually I don't see a problem and I don't really care, but I would like jump jets on my 9S).

#18 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Poptarting is fine, the cERPPC is too good right now though. PGI wants to push ERLLAS for range but that is not happening with the current stats.

Either cooldown needs to be increased to allow closing, or velocity needs a mild nerf.

#19 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:42 AM

All I remember from that era is the incessant sound of PPC discharge. It was truly a period of suck.

#20 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:02 AM

Cerppc needs 10-35% more heat and cool down.Even then it will still be less tons and slots.

Posted Image

Edited by Monkey Lover, 15 January 2017 - 10:07 AM.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users