- - - - -

Kgc, To Ams Or Not To Ams?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Trunok

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:22 AM

I mean, that thing has the worst hitboxes of the game and it is so weak agains lurms, so, is the ams a must?

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:50 PM

Thinking about it, I have not done that. Haven't had the need to -- because I don't lurk out in the open to be rained on in the first place.

This said, I don't see why not? AMS shoots down SRMs as well.

#3 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:49 PM

totaly up to you, if missiles are frequantly giving you trouble then definately,

if everyone carried AMS missiles would be completely worthless because 3 AMS can kill an LRM20 salvo with the target standing still, 6+AMS clustered in the traditional "deathball" formation would completely nutralise enemy LRMs unless the enemy had multiple missile boats forming a highly effective team, coordinating there salvos so the missiles were all traveling as one huge salvo landing on the same Mech at the same time, following a very simular flight path specificaly to overwhelm the AMS (if they came in from diferant directinos the AMS would still kill them

#4 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 15 January 2017 - 03:25 PM

Only if you do not have Radar Derp already

#5 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:51 PM

AMS is a waste if you know how to use cover. Only a select few maps that have problems but you take the good with the bad there really.

Better off with more ammo, double heat sinks or faster engine :)

#6 VitriolicViolet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 592 posts
  • LocationAustralia, Melbourne

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:18 PM

all depends as others have said if you have trouble with lurms it can help. You can use agility and terrain to avoid most of them (even on polar) but it does help.

With mechs that can take 2 AMS i will always take both and 2 tons of ammo. Costs 3 tons but in my opinion its worth it for all the other people who cant dodge lurms. Same with having mechs with 3 AMS. I mostly take AMS on mechs with one but theres a lot of mechs where i dont take one. For most mechs i take 1 AMS and half a ton of ammo (assaults get a whole ton unless they can take multiple AMS).

It does mean less weapons, ammo or heatsinks (my WLF-1B sacrifices 5 tons for AMS and ammo, KFX 4.5) but i find that its useful. Also Murphy's law applies here: if you bring it you wont need it, if you dont you wish you did.

Also get radar dep if you can though it wont matter after the skill overhaul.

Edited: Forgot modules they are good if you dont have others to use, or its a mech with 2+ AMS.

Edited by VitriolicViolet, 15 January 2017 - 08:20 PM.

#7 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:26 AM

Yeah, as mentioned above, there are lots of ways to counter LRM's. You can use a radar deprivation module which is super useful. You can stick close to hard cover so you can duck when the "missiles incoming" warning comes. Shoot down enemy UAV's.

The bottom line though is, IMO, that if you find that you get hit by LRM's fairly frequently, AMS is probably worth it. It's not a hard counter, but if you get hit a lot it'll save more than AMS tonnage worth of armour.

And on the other hand, if you find you can evade LRM's otherwise, it's probably a waste of tonnage.

A slow assault 'mech is IMO the most likely to benefit of AMS. The faster you are, the better you can use mobility to evade lurms.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users