#1 brroleg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 245 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 15 January 2017 - 05:09 PM

Like traits system in roguelike games:

Posted Image

For every positive trait point you must choose negative,until your total sum equals zero

Same can be done for our game:

You can get that +10% energy range, but you also must choose something negative to compensate it (for example -10% structure)

Edited by brroleg, 15 January 2017 - 05:16 PM.

#2 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 15 January 2017 - 05:17 PM

Slow down there, Satan. As far as I can tell, the new skill tree is already going to be nerfing certain mechs because of the bonuses we normally get being locked out due to how many nodes you'd need to get back to our current level. I don't want the ability to have upgraded AMS make it so that my mech feels like paper.

#3 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 05:18 PM

Except for Clanners, right? Because being trashborn bred all the negative traits out of you?

Anyway... actually, you've stumbled into a semi-decent idea, though undeveloped. But it's far too late to incorporate that into what we've seen, and probably worse, it will only make the mixing and matching skills more expensive, as negative quirks will lead to a lot of respeccing.

Maybe if respec ends up dirt cheap or free, it would be something to take to PGI for next year's shake up. But I suspect that is not going to be the case.

#4 brroleg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 245 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 15 January 2017 - 05:33 PM

it will only make the mixing and matching skills more expensive

So PGI will get more money? Im ok with this, PGI can have all monies in the world as long as they get it for some interesting game features. And "For Every Positive Quirk You Must Get A Negative One" seems interesting enough for me.

Edited by brroleg, 15 January 2017 - 05:34 PM.

#5 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 15 January 2017 - 05:41 PM

When we saw something like that for the range modules... a heat increase... noone in their right mind would take them unless they were for ballistics. Remember this was the time they were first introduced.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be any penalties necessarily, but if the penalties are more onerous than the benefits, it's not a legit option.

#6 Pjwned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:03 PM

Ideally we don't have a skill tree at all, but having actual tradeoffs for each bonus would be the next best thing.

It's not going to happen though.

View PostRestosIII, on 15 January 2017 - 05:17 PM, said:

Slow down there, Satan. As far as I can tell, the new skill tree is already going to be nerfing certain mechs because of the bonuses we normally get being locked out due to how many nodes you'd need to get back to our current level. I don't want the ability to have upgraded AMS make it so that my mech feels like paper.

Those bonuses by and large shouldn't have existed in the first place.

View PostDeathlike, on 15 January 2017 - 05:41 PM, said:

When we saw something like that for the range modules... a heat increase... noone in their right mind would take them unless they were for ballistics. Remember this was the time they were first introduced.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be any penalties necessarily, but if the penalties are more onerous than the benefits, it's not a legit option.

It actually had more to do with the modules being worthless and a waste of time with a miniscule benefit (as well as a miniscule drawback) so nobody bothered with it.

The idea was fine, the execution wasn't, but then PGI threw out the baby with the bath water when they revamped modules later on.

#7 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:02 PM

They already get a Nega Quirk in the form of their face

Or other geometry which is unfavourable

#8 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:33 PM

The built-in "negative" to each skill tree node is that you can't spend that skill point on a different node. I.e. a point spent on laser range can't be spent on structure. Your supply of skill points is limited, so you can't buy every node.

It's an "implicit" trade off rather than an "explicit" weakness like negative quirks. Or, perhaps it would be better to call this an "opportunity cost." It's kind of like how spending 14 tons on an AC/20 has the weakness that you can't spend those 14 tons on something else.

#9 Kanil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:13 PM

Choosing your negative quirk from a big list would be... not great. You'd just pick out a dump stat and dump it. Oh no, my dakka Mauler has 5% worse missile cooldown, how horrible!

If each positive quirk came with a specific negative quirk, that might be more interesting/tolerable, as the duh obvious choices would be less duh obvious.

I'm not sure it'd be worth the balance headache though.

#10 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:20 PM

What's with all the ridiculously insane suggestions going on the forums today? Did someone release some kind of mentally-debilitating gas that I did not know about?

Edited by Mystere, 15 January 2017 - 11:20 PM.

#11 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:44 PM

For every positive trait point you must choose negative,until your total sum equals zero

why even have a system if all its going to do is result in a big fat zero

#12 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:52 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 15 January 2017 - 11:44 PM, said:

why even have a system if all its going to do is result in a big fat zero

Theoretically, because the game isn't homogeneous. You create situational advantages for yourself in exchange for some situational disadvantages.

You do the same thing when you build 'Mechs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users