Mwonline = Fustrating Piece Of Pain.

25 replies to this topic

#1 William Warriors

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 283 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:08 AM

I used to love this game.. now.. it is a pile of steaming scrap.

First of all, the map, even with a good graphic card and the latest drivers.. the game play is choppy.. shadows and polygons are all messed up.

Second. Collisions. It is all messed up. If you collided with another mech. You get stuck.

The same goes for terrain.. the speed drop is a bloody garbage. Every time you drop, just a short drop.. your speed goes to zero. If you play as a light.. you are dead.

Also with jump jet.. sometimes.. you couldn't even jump because of the messed up terrain.

Well Done PGI.. you messed up a perfectly good set up with your buggy addition.

#2 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,934 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:15 AM

?

I played on a potato for 2 years and never had the kinds of problems you are describing, nor do I have them now running on a lap top with most graphics setting set on medium or high. I will agree however to still occasionally experiencing odd terrain interactions with jump jets, but that is still pretty rare.

Maybe post your computer stats? The the nice computer nerds around here will give you a hand. Also I wrote support with my original comp configuration, and PGI sent me custom settings to copy in that got me running consistently 50fps or better. Maybe give that a try.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. As much as I rag on PGI, the game has never run smoother, nor looked better for me.

#3 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:18 AM

View PostWilliam Warriors, on 13 January 2017 - 07:08 AM, said:

First of all, the map, even with a good graphic card and the latest drivers.. the game play is choppy.. shadows and polygons are all messed up.

Second. Collisions. It is all messed up. If you collided with another mech. You get stuck.

The same goes for terrain.. the speed drop is a bloody garbage. Every time you drop, just a short drop.. your speed goes to zero. If you play as a light.. you are dead.

Also with jump jet.. sometimes.. you couldn't even jump because of the messed up terrain.

First, what is your CPU? This game eats CPU a lot, not graphics. I have an old GTX760 and the game runs fine.

Second, collision has been better than ever, since a fix few months back.

Third, PGI had also fixed stucky terrain in some maps such as Viridian Bog, and Caustic.

Sure, there are tons of things PGI needs to fix, such as the LAZY *** TERRAIN HITBOXES in HPG, but they are improving things, albeit at glacial pace.

Edited by El Bandito, 13 January 2017 - 07:21 AM.

#4 Tristan Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:21 AM

Realistically, things would go a lot worse than this if two mechs crashed into each other at high speeds. You wouldn't just get stuck for a few seconds.

#5 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:26 AM

I think some of the weird behavior could also be due to latency. If your ISP decides to throttle your connection, it can have a noticeable adverse affect on how the game works.

#6 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:28 AM

View PostNRP, on 13 January 2017 - 07:26 AM, said:

I think some of the weird behavior could also be due to latency. If your ISP decides to throttle your connection, it can have a noticeable adverse affect on how the game works.

Oh yeah, living in a third world country means I have to deal with some funky latency issues, as well as lag. I am basically handicapping myself for you plebs! Posted Image

No, seriously, I could perform much better with less than 100 ping.

Edited by El Bandito, 13 January 2017 - 07:29 AM.

#7 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,934 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:35 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 13 January 2017 - 07:28 AM, said:

Oh yeah, living in a third world country means I have to deal with some funky latency issues, as well as lag. I am basically handicapping myself for you plebs! Posted Image

Third world indeed. My rural Minnesota DSL is the same (though still a zillion times better and cheaper than my old satellite service). My unit mates often exclaim at and are boggled by my random ping fluctuations of 47 to 1400 to 450 to 75 to 1700 etc. And that is just on the loading screen.

Point being, as mentioned above OP, some of the issues you are having may be related to your service provider.

#8 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:56 AM

True. I recently bought a new card. I can (no bragging, it's about the thread) set everything to max and the card is still not maxed out. But FPS sometimes drop to 30 fps. I know MWO is "CPU bound", but what is there SO HEAVILY gamemechanicalwise to calcuate at the start of the match with NO fighting, NO enemies in sight, just a BLANK map that brings a modern CPU to its knees? The answer is: There CAN'T be anything at that point. Except bad programming.

Not true. Never experienced that.
You can, however, get stuck in some spots on some maps. Maybe you experienced that and the mech collision was shortly before, but unrelated.

Not true. If you drop a little, your speed does NOT go down to zero.

Could be. But I have no concrete memory about such a case.

IMHO, they surely did a lot of things wrong, but they also did a great lot of things right (we very easily forget 1000 things that work once we see 1 thing that does not work) and they are improving the game constantly.

#9 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:01 PM

So you live in Missouri?

View PostPaigan, on 13 January 2017 - 09:56 AM, said:

...Not true. If you drop a little, your speed does NOT go down to zero.
From a high drop/jump, unless you've feathered correctly, your speed will be zero.

Something I use to kill those pesky lights.

... and they are improving the game constantly.
But glacially...

#10 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:02 PM

View PostTristan Winter, on 13 January 2017 - 07:21 AM, said:

Realistically, things would go a lot worse than this if two mechs crashed into each other at high speeds. You wouldn't just get stuck for a few seconds.

Firemoth hitting a Dire Wolf

Posted Image

#11 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:13 PM

View PostDimento Graven, on 13 January 2017 - 12:01 PM, said:

View PostPaigan, on 13 January 2017 - 09:56 AM, said:

Not true. If you drop a little, your speed does NOT go down to zero.

From a high drop/jump, unless you've feathered correctly, your speed will be zero.

Posted Image

#12 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:17 PM

View PostPaigan, on 13 January 2017 - 12:13 PM, said:

Posted Image
It's at least close enough to zero to make it easy to kill them after they land.

At that point it's quibbling over the number of fairies dancing on the head of a pin...

#13 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:45 PM

View PostTristan Winter, on 13 January 2017 - 07:21 AM, said:

I thought that for a long time, too.
Because we think of Mechs with the experience we have from cars, jets, etc.
With the exception of a Tank's front side, nothing we have today has any armor to speak of when it comes to vehicle-to-vehicle weapons. We're basically using overgunned papertoy war machines and whoever hits first, wins. That is our experience and that makes you (and past me) make such statements.

But then I realized:
If they have armor that can withstand serious pounding (like multiple gauss hits, etc.) then the kinetic energy even a running or jumping Mech transfers to another (and over a rather huge area) is negligible.
It would be like two knights in full armor bumping their chests together and having a good laugh about it.
Probably even more insignificant than that. Mech armor is so robust, it would have to be a whole new level of technology.

(for the same reason, any kind of melee is complete nonense, btw. Again: like a knight hitting another knight on the chest. Laughable)

Edited by Paigan, 13 January 2017 - 12:46 PM.

#14 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:47 PM

View PostPaigan, on 13 January 2017 - 12:45 PM, said:

(for the same reason, any kind of melee is complete nonense, btw. Again: like a knight hitting another knight on the chest. Laughable)
You're forgetting the value of kinetic energy my friend.

Several TONS of object smashing into another object at tens of KPH, is a LOT of energy.

Something is going to break, period.

Bring back knock downs, and FFS let's get physical attacks in already!

#15 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:48 PM

He's got that on board potato grinder.. childish to throw insults about game performance and not give complete hardware specs

#16 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:16 PM

Keep telling yourself that. I play with 10 ping on NA and a ~110 in EU and i can see no discernible difference. Oceania is at 250 and it becomes screwy and i dont bother playing there. I could play with 250 ping and i did for an event and my performance didnt really suffer but getting late feedback(as well as some action like zooming but i think its fixed now) puts me off because im never sure if i landed that shot or kill confirmation are dsyncd. Very annoying but not game changing.

The only lag problem i have is with people with less than 50ping that can rubberband lag at will. Something needs to be done about that.

View PostDimento Graven, on 13 January 2017 - 12:01 PM, said:

But glacially...

It's Canada eh. It's easier to open a Stout when it's minus 30C without winds than code things.

Edited by DAYLEET, 13 January 2017 - 02:18 PM.

#17 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:09 PM

View PostDimento Graven, on 13 January 2017 - 12:47 PM, said:

You're forgetting the value of kinetic energy my friend.

Several TONS of object smashing into another object at tens of KPH, is a LOT of energy.

Something is going to break, period.

Bring back knock downs, and FFS let's get physical attacks in already!

I did not forget it, I based my argumentation on it.

You, on the other hand, do not quite get it:
It's basically mass * velocity on the one side (yes, I know, 1/2 * m * v². I wrote "basically") BUT also the area of impact over which the energy is distributed.
If Mech armor is SO robust (unlike anything we have today) that it can withstand multiple impacts of devastating projectiles with extremely high kinetic energies, guess what a Mech's kinetic energy dispersed over a rather HUGE area (half the Mech or so) would do to that armor? Nothing.
Again: see knights.
And again: we base our conceptions of crashes etc. on current technologies, where vehicles are basically papertoys when it comes to weaponry.

A bigger mech could knock over a smaller Mech with its superior impulse, yes, but he would hardly do any damage by doing so. Just as a knight deals virtually no damage to another knight by fist fighting or bumping him.

You all have very, VERY naive, romantic and unrealistic conceptions about what that kind of armor shown in BT would be able to resist. You don't even understand how medieval body armor works.
If you want to educate yourself, take a look at this, for example:

or this at 1:00

Any kind of physical attacks on a full plate armor are irrelevant.
Fights with such degrees of protection were about wearing the enemy out, not to penetrate his armor. Because it was more less impenetrable for the weapons used.

I couldn't even find anything on "knights fist fight", because it's so ridiculous that noone ever does it.
And the kind of armor technology shown in BT would be like 100 times more robust (to the point of fictional ridiculousness, of course).

So please don't throw around big words like "kinetic energy" if you didn't even begin to understand my post.
Please read it again and try to do so.

Edited by Paigan, 13 January 2017 - 03:12 PM.

#18 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:15 PM

View PostPaigan, on 13 January 2017 - 03:09 PM, said:

I did not forget it, I based my argumentation on it.

You, on the other hand, do not quite get it:
It's basically mass * velocity on the one side (yes, I know, 1/2 * m * v². I wrote "basically") BUT also the area of impact over which the energy is distributed.
If Mech armor is SO robust (unlike anything we have today) that it can withstand multiple impacts of devastating projectiles with extremely high kinetic energies, guess what a Mech's kinetic energy dispersed over a rather HUGE area (half the Mech or so) would do to that armor? Nothing.
And again: we base our conceptions of crashes etc. on current technologies, where vehicles are basically papertoys when it comes to weaponry.

A bigger mech could knock over a smaller Mech with its superior impulse, yes, but he would hardly do any damage by doing so. Just as a knight deals virtually no damage to another knight by fist fighting or bumping him.

You all have very, VERY naive, romantic and unrealistic conceptions about what that kind of armor shown in BT would be able to resist. You don't even understand how medieval body armor works.

Any kind of physical attacks on a full plate armor are irrelevant.
Fights with such degrees of protection were about wearing the enemy out, not to penetrate his armor. Because it was more less impenetrable for the weapons used.

I couldn't even find anything on "knights fist fight", because it's so ridiculous that noone ever does it.
And the kind of armor technology shown in BT would be like 100 times more robust (to the point of fictional ridiculousness, of course).

So please don't throw around big words like "kinetic energy" if you didn't even begin to understand my post.

I'm not sure you understand what Ablative armour is...

#19 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:26 PM

View PostPaigan, on 13 January 2017 - 03:09 PM, said:

...if Mech armor is SO robust (unlike anything we have today) that it can withstand multiple impacts of devastating projectiles with extremely high kinetic energies, guess what a Mech's kinetic energy dispersed over a rather HUGE area (half the Mech or so) would do to that armor? Nothing.

This is where you break your own argument.

First off, they're not "withstanding multiple impacts", they are taking impacts, breaking off, over and over again, UNTIL there's no more armor left for adequate protection and THEN dying.

It's not "one big piece of armor" that eventually disappears either, it's multiple armor plates, being sloughed off as damage occurs.

The energies being achieved by ~180lb knights running on foot, at a few KPH, while wearing steel plating is HARDLY an adequate measure/comparison of a TWENTY TON vehicle moving at 170KPH running into ANOTHER 20 to 100 TON vehicle moving at 50 to 180KPH.

It makes me laugh out loud you try and validate your argument this way.

I'm not sure I can continue serious discussion with you.

I'm appalled by our educational system if you believe these validate your argument on the scale and speeds we're "theoretically" talking about.

By your logic, cars built in the 40's through 60's should have been the safest vehicles we've ever had because they were all constructed of steel. Yet, seeing the results of these vehicles having head on collisions at 30mph should dissuade any notion of that. Lots of wadded steel was the typical result.

Any kind of melee attacks on a full plate armor are irrelevant.
I couldn't even find anything on "knights fist fight", because it's so ridculous that noone ever does it.
180lb knights can't generate the same energies as our 20 TON (minimum) 'mechs can either. Of course, they used to use ballistae and catapults to throw hundred pound, or larger projectiles into charging lines of knights too. Those rocks simply didn't "bounce off".

The fact is they did have hand to hand combat, but they used weapons that increased the energies the knights could produce manually, maces, clubs, etc. They could crush their opponent's armor to limit mobility and/or in the case of a good hit to the helmet, kill the enemy outright.

Oooh, you're trying so hard to earn a spot on my ignore list now, aren't ya there Skippy?

If I did my force equation right, 20 metric tons, moving at 170kph is approximately ~211,320lbs force.

So, y'know... Scale applies...

Edited by Dimento Graven, 13 January 2017 - 03:46 PM.

#20 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:35 PM

View PostDAYLEET, on 13 January 2017 - 02:16 PM, said:

Keep telling yourself that. I play with 10 ping on NA and a ~110 in EU and i can see no discernible difference. Oceania is at 250 and it becomes screwy and i dont bother playing there. I could play with 250 ping and i did for an event and my performance didnt really suffer but getting late feedback(as well as some action like zooming but i think its fixed now) puts me off because im never sure if i landed that shot or kill confirmation are dsyncd. Very annoying but not game changing.

I play with 210 ping and that is big enough to be a difference between spotting an enemy and actually shooting at it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users