Poll: New Weapons - Which Ones Are Most Desired

49 replies to this topic

#1 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:11 PM

So, with new potential technologies around the corner, what is everyone looking forward to the most? As per usual, we'll set some rules.
  • List includes all weapons that were released between 'now' and 3068, exempting weapons labeled as experimental in this time period. If one faction has made the equipment by 3068, but the other didn't manage it until 3069-70, it has been added and it's year of introduction noted.
  • Due to the specific nature of MMLs, they have been excluded. ATMs have been included as they use their own ammo, switch related though they may be.
  • New construction options (Internal Structure, Engines, and so on) and special equipment (TAG variants, additional probe types) have been excluded for the sake of reducing poll bloat. They may be featured at a later date.
  • Specific weapons have been grouped when possible.
  • Completion of the IS ER, LB-X, Ultra, and SSRM lines has been assumed, and thus excluded.
So, with that in mind, what weapons are you all looking forward to most? For the sake of the poll, I'm limiting everyone to one vote per Faction and weapon type, but feel free to make more extensive lists, and share your rationale.

POLL LINK

Also, yes, I know, Mech Mortars sound like a ballistic weapon. Don't blame me for it.

Here are your weapons, with a short description and links to Sarna, as usual.

Inner Sphere

Ballistic
Spoiler

Energy
Spoiler

Missile
Spoiler

Clan

Ballistic
Spoiler

Energy
Spoiler

Missile
Spoiler

Edited by Bombast, 16 January 2017 - 08:20 PM.

#2 Requiemking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:19 PM

I would say yes to MG arrays, if only to experience the beautiful rain of tears that would result from the 32 MG Direwolf, among other things. The stream of bullets would be glorious, both in the grand noise and the golden light of the projectiles.

#3 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:19 PM

I presume you left out ER lasers for the IS because they are foregone conclusion, yes?

#4 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:20 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 16 January 2017 - 08:19 PM, said:

I presume you left out ER lasers for the IS because they are foregone conclusion, yes?

Whoops, forgot to put that in the rules. Thanks.

#5 Kasumi Sumika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationFeeding the Fires of Rubicon

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:22 PM

...and done the vote!

Also no for LBX, Ultra, and Streaks for IS?

#6 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:23 PM

View PostKasumi Sumika, on 16 January 2017 - 08:22 PM, said:

...and done the vote!

Also no for LBX, Ultra, and Streaks for IS?

I forgot a rule.

View PostBombast, on 16 January 2017 - 08:11 PM, said:

Completion of the IS ER, LB-X, Ultra, and SSRM lines has been assumed, and thus excluded.

It's been rectified for future voters.

#7 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:25 PM

Inner Sphere needs lasers that are more powerful to make the most out of having less hard points. I think the Blazer is like this but not sure about any others.

If new weapons are added I hope there is an audio pass because I wont use an AC 5 or AC 2 they are so loud.

Edited by Johnny Z, 16 January 2017 - 08:27 PM.

#8 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:26 PM

IS Energy: Plasma rifles; 6-ton AC/10 that not only deals real damage but also spikes the heat of whoever you are shooting at. Cost is that they don't really play nice with other weapons, requiring a significant investment in DHS for yourself as well as requiring ammo. I love it.

IS Ballistic: Light ACs. Has to be. Then we can finally make use of those copious ballistic hard-points on lighter 'Mechs like the Blackjack, the JagerMech, the Shadowhawk, etc.

IS Missile: Mech Mortars! Indirect fire that can be aimed over hills without requiring a lock? Yes please, finally something to properly discourage static fighting lines.

Clan Energy: Heavy laser. Give my MLX some real punch! Also, the other options stink, so...kind of pigeon-holed here.

Clan Ballistic: Hyper Assault Gauss. Don't tell me you don't like the idea of ripping out 40 damage from dual HAG/20s on a Hunchback IIC.

Clan Missile: Mech Mortar. Fair is fair is fair.

#9 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:35 PM

WHY CAN I ONLY VOTE FOR ONE THING IN EACH CATEGORY AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

You're mean.

#10 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:55 PM

View PostSnazzy Dragon, on 16 January 2017 - 08:35 PM, said:

WHY CAN I ONLY VOTE FOR ONE THING IN EACH CATEGORY AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

You're mean.

By limiting it to one, I was hoping to get people to dig deep and really pick what they wanted, and not just carpet bomb the whole thing with votes.

Though, to be fair, I suppose some of the categories are stuffed with good stuff, while others are... not.

Anyway, my picks...

IS Ballistic: Light Autocannon. I was really torn over this one. Just torn to my core. Because I love Rotary Autocannons. I really, really, really love RACs, as any true Son of the Sun would. But when it comes down to it... RACs are a super weight weapon in this game. While they allow lighter mechs in the table top to occasional punch above their weight, in MWO their heavy ammo hogs that require significant investment. It's makes the weapon really limited.

The Light Autocannon is the exact opposite. It brings dakka to all, allowing light mechs to finally utilize their ballistic hard points without sacrificing armor, and heavier mechs to give their Clan brethren a run for their money in the boating department. It helps everyone, unlike the RAC, and it's already sparked some light, medium, and heavy builds in my mind.

IS Energy: Don't Care. Plasma Rifles and Flamers aren't my speed, and I never could dial my eye in for PPC fire, so there's nothing here for me I'm afraid.

IS Missile: Medium Range Missiles.

Posted Image

Clan Ballistic: Hyper-Assault Gauss. Super-Ultras with a charge mechanic. Need I say more?

Clan Energy: Don't Care. Again, nothing really for me. I dislike Wub Wub builds with a few exceptions, and I strain to see how new Flamers are really going to change anything.

Clan Missile: Don't Care. I am intrigued by Mech Mortars, but I felt strange asking for clan versions of low tech stuff, but not Inner Sphere models. It's definitely an intriguing idea which I think would be fun to explore (Though unlikely, if I'm honest).

#11 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:00 PM

How can you not like Plasma Rifles? They are the ultimate troll weapon!

#12 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:00 PM

Where's the Arrow IV?

#13 Hawk819

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,695 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:01 PM

You failed to add the Anti-Personnel Gauss Rifle for the Clans. Clan Jade Falcon produced the weapon in 3067.

#14 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:02 PM

View PostHawk819, on 16 January 2017 - 09:01 PM, said:

You failed to add the Anti-Personnel Gauss Rifle for the Clans. Clan Jade Falcon produced the weapon in 3067.

Good thing, too, because it would be broken if the IS didn't have their 3072 MagShot response available.

#15 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:05 PM

IS Ballistics: Light Autocannons.

Because low tonnage mechs deserve the ability to run AC's too.

IS Energy Weapons: PPC's

Never really cared for those, but some people have been really eager for them, so why not?

IS Missile Weapons: MRM's

Dear lord I want to see MRM 80 builds. Plus, it helps buff mechs with low hardpoint counts.

Clan Ballistics: HAG's

I have a feeling this one probably won't get added, but they could be interesting, plus one of the Mad Cat MK II variants runs dual HAG/30's, so I'm biased there.

Clan Energy Weapons: Heavy Lasers

This one feels like a no brainer IMO. Incredibly high heat for large amounts of damage, again, helping mechs with low hardpoint counts.

Clan Missile Weapons: ATM's

I've been wanting these babies ever since the Clans dropped. It would allow for a good deal of lore builds to come out of the woodwork, while being a more interesting to use option than LRMs or splat.

#16 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:11 PM

Checkboxes instead of radio buttons would have been better.

Also not including some things like ER lasers? Meh.

Also what's the point? PGI is going to include what they want to include, we can't really sway them at this point. All we can do is recommend methods of implementation.

Edited by Tarogato, 16 January 2017 - 09:11 PM.

#17 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:13 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 16 January 2017 - 09:00 PM, said:

How can you not like Plasma Rifles? They are the ultimate troll weapon!

I don't know why. I think for some reason, I've linked Plasma Rifles solidly to the Jihad era, even though it strictly speaking shouldn't be, since it's not WoB specific gear.

Maybe I should get to know it better.

View PostHawk819, on 16 January 2017 - 09:01 PM, said:

View PostYeonne Greene, on 16 January 2017 - 09:02 PM, said:

Good thing, too, because it would be broken if the IS didn't have their 3072 MagShot response available.

Sarna and Skunk Werks put the AP Gauss in 3069.

View PostStar Commander Horse, on 16 January 2017 - 09:00 PM, said:

Where's the Arrow IV?

The Arrow IV is technically available to us now. It's not 'new' tech.

View PostTarogato, on 16 January 2017 - 09:11 PM, said:

Also not including some things like ER lasers? Meh.

Also what's the point? PGI is going to include what they want to include, we can't really sway them at this point. All we can do is recommend methods of implementation.

ER, SSRM, LB-X, and Ultras have been assumed and excluded.

And I just thought it would be a fun discussion. You're free not to participate.

#18 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:18 PM

My choices are:

IS Ballistic- RAC- Why? Because then they could(Hopefully) function like LMGs and just be MGs on steroids.

IS Energy- Don't care- The one IS energy weapon I want isn't on the list.

IS Missile- MRMs- MRM 20 stacking on an Atlas? YES PLEASE, GIMME NAOW.

Clan Ballistic- MG array- What, don't you want to see the 32 MG Direwolf become a thing?

Clan Energy- Heavy Lasers- FOR THE MIST LYNX.

Clan Missile- Don't care- nothing interesting here.

#19 Stefan the Usurper Amaris

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:47 PM

I voted, make the RWR great again!

#20 Felbombling

• 2,978 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:54 PM

Thunderbolt Missile Launcher... I do not see an option for it in the poll. Please fix so I can vote!!1!2!!

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users