23 replies to this topic

#21 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 04:45 PM

View PostHit the Deck, on 20 January 2017 - 04:36 PM, said:

PGI can just increase the ammo/ton as they have done with the other ammo-based weapons if needed.

My major concern is that PGI needs to diferentiate ATMs to SSRMs (Streak SRMs) and LRMs in mechanics, i.e. the lock-on targeting system. Another lock-on missile based weapon would not be fun, unless if we could somehow get switchable ammo.

Remember that there's already fly-by-wire guidance mechanics proposed for MRMs. If we go that route for ATMs then MRMs must be dumb fired.

MRMs specifically are dumbfire weapons. They're meant to simply saturate a given column of space with explodeys and are dependent on the skill of the MechWarrior to hit anything.

Anyone remember landing hits with the Huginn when it had 400m SRM range? An entertaining sort of Pokemon battle where you had to predict a target's movement several seconds in advance? it was doable but entertainingly tough, at least for some. MRMs will be much the same, and the ~400-450m range is about the limit of dumbfire warheads without more missile velocity than missiles get in this game.

Asking players to hit dumbfire missile shots from ATM launchers at 800m without any sort of guidance, on weapons with less than twenty percent of the shot velocity of actual long-range weapons systems, is pretty unfair and a complete waste of ammo. ATMs need some sort of guidance of the ER ammo/function isn't going to be a total fib. I know people hate guided missiles and want everything to be a dumbfired direct-fire weapon, but it just don't work for slow-moving, long-distance warheads.

#22 Hit the Deck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 20 January 2017 - 04:53 PM

View Post1453 R, on 20 January 2017 - 04:45 PM, said:

MRMs specifically are dumbfire weapons. They're meant to simply saturate a given column of space with explodeys and are dependent on the skill of the MechWarrior to hit anything.

I know this, but the suggestions are for gameplay reason so they could deviate somewhat from the TRO if needed.

I don't hate lock-on but I feel with the existance of SSRM and LRM, another missile weapon with lock-on wouldn't be fun. You are right though, that without it, (lock-on) ER ATM wouldn't able to hit anything at their intended range.

EDIT; wait, we still have one missile guidance mechanics left, the FIre and Forget (FaF): https://en.wikipedia...Fire-and-forget

I'd say that we implement FaF and wire-guided system for ATM and MRM so we could have new missile targeting mechanics!

Edited by Hit the Deck, 20 January 2017 - 05:03 PM.

#23 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 20 January 2017 - 05:03 PM

View PostHit the Deck, on 20 January 2017 - 04:53 PM, said:

EDIT; wait, we still have one missile guidance mechanics left, the FIre and Forget (FaF): https://en.wikipedia...Fire-and-forget

I'd say that we implement FaF and FbW (fly by wire) for ATM and MRM so we could have new missile targeting mechanics!

Honestly, I still think that LRMs should be Fire and Forget missiles.

#24 Hit the Deck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 20 January 2017 - 05:12 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 20 January 2017 - 05:03 PM, said:

Honestly, I still think that LRMs should be Fire and Forget missiles.

Could be but I bet that PGI won't change it.

Now I remember that all of these missile guidance systems have been thoroughly discussed in the past. I don't want to start a new one but maybe someone with more knowledge would.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users