What Will You Do With The Javelin?

Gameplay

34 replies to this topic

#1 Brenden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:23 AM

I think I'll grab the one with the four hardpoints, put one LRM-10 on each side torso, put a NARC under one of them, and add a SSRM-2 for close range combat.

#2 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,558 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:26 AM

Shoot them.

A lot.

Especially the ones with a single SSRM-2 for "close combat". Tip: don't bother, man. Just load up more Lurm ammo. Might also want to disregard the NARC. You're going to be hard-pressed to do two LRM-10s, sufficient ammo, and engine/jets as it is.

#3 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:28 AM

View Post1453 R, on 20 January 2017 - 09:26 AM, said:

Shoot them.

A lot.

Especially the ones with a single SSRM-2 for "close combat". Tip: don't bother, man. Just load up more Lurm ammo. Might also want to disregard the NARC. You're going to be hard-pressed to do two LRM-10s, sufficient ammo, and engine/jets as it is.

Alright then mate, two LRM-5s and a SRM-4. The Javelin to me is either a Light Mech hunter or a Support unit, and I tend to play both. With my speed and Jump Jets I can jump backwards while NARCing my opponent, run behind cover and let my team rain missiles down as I do the same.

#4 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:34 AM

Absolutely nothing.

Not much of a light mech guy to being with, but this one while not a bad potential robot, really doesn't do much I can't already do a similar role in with my upcoming Assassin. Plus... it looks atrocious...and I'm vain enough to care about that!

#5 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:35 AM

Run it and play with all the new weapons!

#6 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,558 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:35 AM

View PostBrenden, on 20 January 2017 - 09:28 AM, said:

Alright then mate, two LRM-5s and a SRM-4. The Javelin to me is either a Light Mech hunter or a Support unit, and I tend to play both. With my speed and Jump Jets I can jump backwards while NARCing my opponent, run behind cover and let my team rain missiles down as I do the same.

Oxide Mock-up

Note that the Oxide is a larger 'Mech with a larger overall payload than the Javelin. With a NARC, an SRM-4, two LRM-5s, and zero jump jets, using an 8/12 engine to match the Cheetah/highest reasonable velocity for the Javelin...you have three and a half tons of ammunition room for all four weapons combined.

Dump the NARC. Pick LRMs OR SRMs, not both. You don't have the weight to do all three on a Sphere light 'Mech.

EDIT:

View PostTercieI, on 20 January 2017 - 09:35 AM, said:

Okay. MRM Javelins might be amusing. Coupla MRM-10s to maximize tube-ti-weight efficiency (seriously, SERIOUSLY! WHO keeps screwing with launcher weights in this game?!) and some ammo/jets to taste, go nuts. Still not going to do Javelins, but hey - that's what Oxides/Hugginz are for.

Edited by 1453 R, 20 January 2017 - 09:38 AM.

#7 Snazzy Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:39 AM

Nothing, because I will not own them Posted Image

What I do to them come release day is another matter entirely

Edited by Snazzy Dragon, 20 January 2017 - 09:39 AM.

#8 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:49 AM

I'll probably run them as a boom'n'zoom splatter.

I'm not a big light pilot, but i'll definitely give them a spin.

#9 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 20 January 2017 - 10:05 AM

When playing in a Spider, follow every Javelin I see and spam into chat:

"Hey where'd ya get all those hard points? Could I have some? Can ya help me find some hard points? What's it like having all those hard points? Know anyone who can get me some hard points? Boy it must be nice having all those hard points. Can you spell power creep? Can ya get me some of that power creep? Who do I gotta sleep with to get me some a that sweet sweet power creep? Hey where'd ya get all those..."

Hopefully I'll get reported for griefing enough times that PGI will actually look into it, and then see a chat log, and then maybe, just maybe they will have a moment of clarity. I doubt it but I can hope.

#10 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 20 January 2017 - 10:06 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 20 January 2017 - 10:05 AM, said:

When playing in a Spider, follow every Javelin I see and spam into chat:

"Hey where'd ya get all those hard points? Could I have some? Can ya help me find some hard points? What's it like having all those hard points? Know anyone who can get me some hard points? Boy it must be nice having all those hard points. Can you spell power creep? Can ya get me some of that power creep? Who do I gotta sleep with to get me some a that sweet sweet power creep? Hey where'd ya get all those..."

Hopefully I'll get reported for griefing enough times that PGI will actually look into it, and then see a chat log, and then maybe, just maybe they will have a moment of clarity. I doubt it but I can hope.

First: LOL, that's legit funny.

Second: Russ said on Twitter y'day they're looking at older mechs for hardpoint inflation and specifically mentioned the Spider in reference to the Javelin.

#11 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 20 January 2017 - 10:09 AM

View PostTercieI, on 20 January 2017 - 09:35 AM, said:

Hm? Really? I thought you of all people would convert the mechs into C-Bills in disgust at the release of yet another light mech.

Posted Image

Edit:
Terciel right now... probably:
Spoiler

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 20 January 2017 - 10:11 AM.

#12 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 20 January 2017 - 10:10 AM

Um 6 SRM2s, 7 SPL, 7 MLs, 5 MPL, 4 MPL, 4 SRM4s, ALL SORTS OF STUFF :D

#13 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,770 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 20 January 2017 - 10:12 AM

View PostTercieI, on 20 January 2017 - 10:06 AM, said:

Second: Russ said on Twitter y'day they're looking at older mechs for hardpoint inflation and specifically mentioned the Spider in reference to the Javelin.

I wonder if they will add hardpoints to sections that originally didn't have hardpoints there because otherwise hardpoint inflation won't save the SDR-5V given the stock weapon positions for it.

#14 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 20 January 2017 - 10:37 AM

View PostTercieI, on 20 January 2017 - 10:06 AM, said:

Yeah, I saw that too. He also said in the same tweet that "this was the first time..." it ever occurred to him to consider such a thing. I am just hoping to do my duty to make sure it keeps occurring to him to fix this.

#15 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 10:39 AM

View Post1453 R, on 20 January 2017 - 09:35 AM, said:

...(seriously, SERIOUSLY! WHO keeps screwing with launcher weights in this game?!) ...

The weights are exactly what they're 'supposed' to be.

#16 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,558 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:02 AM

View PostBombast, on 20 January 2017 - 10:39 AM, said:

The weights are exactly what they're 'supposed' to be.

Excuse me, no.

The MRM-10 weighs three tons, designed specifically as "an easy swap-in for an SRM-6". Okay, cool.

The MRM-40 weighs twelve tons. All right, that makes at least some moderate sense too, four times the missiles gets you four times the weight. So the 20 and 30 should each weigh six and nine tons respectively, right?

OF F***ING COURSE NOT.

Seven tons for the 20, ten for the 30, ensuring that both intermediate launchers are 100% inferior to ganged 10s, or to simply stretching your way to up a 40, instead. It's the LRM issue all over again; the LRM-5 is far and away the most efficient launcher system in the game and there is no reason whatsoever to ever take anything but multiple 5s if you have any choice in the matter.

It doesn't even make sense in tabletop! LRMs do damage in clumps of 5 anyways so firing one of the larger launchers is exactly the same as just firing an equivalent number of LRM-5s! The larger single launcher is MORE vulnerable to being critted out, not less, and it gets no extra ammunition efficiency! It is strictly worse than an equivalent number of LRM-5s in every way that matters!

WHYYYY?!

And now MRMs are doing it, too! The MRM-20 and MRM-30 are strictly inferior to 2/3 MRM-10s, when the larger, less flexible, more easily-destroyed weapon should be LIGHTER and SMALLER than an equivalent number of lower-rated launchers! Adding more tubes to an existing launcher does not require you to duplicate everything else about that launcher and then add a bunch more random machinery you magically didn't need before, SO WHY IS THAT WHAT HAPPENS TO MISSILE LAUNCHERS IN BATTLETECH?! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

IT MAKE'A NO SENSE!

#UnstoppableNerdrage
#PhysicsDamnit
#GoddamnitJordan

Edited by 1453 R, 20 January 2017 - 11:03 AM.

#17 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:14 AM

View Post1453 R, on 20 January 2017 - 11:02 AM, said:

Spoiler

Ah, sorry. Your initial post made it sound like you though PGI was messing with weights. I meant that they weigh the same as they do in the tabletop.

As for your complaints, well, we both know that's all an old argument.

LRM5s
+Lighter
+Harder to knock out
-Hotter
-Artemis makes them heavier than an LRM20
-Worse shot concentration (No 5 clusters unless max roll)

LRM20s
+Lighter Artemis
+Cooler
+Can get multiple 5 hit clusters (Guaranteed 1 at least)
-Heavier base
-Easier to knock out

MRMs are about the same, sans Artemis, obviously.

So while it's true LRM5s probably do end up being better overall, it's not like there isn't a reason to use LRM20s.
In MWO terms, a lot of that goes out the window, and the only difference is that bigger LRMs are more heat and hardpoint efficient. Which leads to the weird 'Carry as light a LRM launcher as you can manage' situation.

#18 stealthraccoon

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:21 AM

6 SRM2's
4 MPL's or 4ML + dual AMS
4 SSRM's
Usually leave one bone stock for aesthetic purposes.
ECM might get for cbills
7 energy??? Boring! well 7 SPL would be appropriate.
Hero might be LURMs just for trolling

#19 Paigan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:21 AM

View Post1453 R, on 20 January 2017 - 09:26 AM, said:

Shoot them.

A lot.

Why, this, of course.
Tiny freebirth scum with funny helmets...

#20 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:24 AM

Im almost thinking of not buying one because when the mech comes out they're going to be ssrm6 mechs everywhere ready to 1 or 2 shot it. It happens every time we get a light released.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 20 January 2017 - 11:24 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users