#81 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:17 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 23 January 2017 - 04:15 PM, said:

You should probably just avoid most threads, you say this a lot Posted Image

That may be my fault. I've inadvertently changed the course of future events due to my joke threads. Fortunately, I've also averted WW3 and two major plagues.

#82 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:17 PM

View PostBombast, on 23 January 2017 - 04:00 PM, said:

If you are using ER Large Lasers, than you are a spray and pray player.

ERLL proficiency is very much about precision.

#83 Warglbargl

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:21 PM

All this talk of dual gauss + dual ERLL king crabs, ugh.

If you want to use lasers, run 3 of them. Regular LL, not the face-time deluxe version.

The range is plenty after the gauss nerf. Posted Image

#84 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:39 PM

The problem with this thread is that Dimento's hard on for Gauss (because, that's pretty much the majority of what he runs - anything that can load up Dual Gauss) is why this can't ever happen.

#85 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,529 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:56 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 23 January 2017 - 04:39 PM, said:

The problem with this thread is that Dimento's hard on for Gauss (because, that's pretty much the majority of what he runs - anything that can load up Dual Gauss) is why this can't ever happen.

Pretty much.
Dimento is to Gauss like Gyrok is to Clan tech.

#86 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:11 PM

View PostWarglbargl, on 23 January 2017 - 04:21 PM, said:

All this talk of dual gauss + dual ERLL king crabs, ugh.

If you want to use lasers, run 3 of them. Regular LL, not the face-time deluxe version.

The range is plenty after the gauss nerf. Posted Image
Did that for a while, found the extra heat wasn't worth it. Running cooler allows me to spend more time firing, less time cooling off. Even when I chained the 3 ERLLs, mixed multiple firing sets, etc., I still did better with dual ERLL's.

But if 3 ERLLs works for you, go for it.

#87 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:28 PM

Personal thought: mechlab is broken.
My reasoning? The non-existent economy idea that died in beta. Battlemech design in game uses a hybrid of mech creation rules plus additional rules for balance (engine range limit, weapon hard points, inclusion of jj and ecm) to keep the feel of a supposedly hard to customize piece of technology. But without an economy once you put it together boom, all good never look back. Unless you want to then your hardlocked in tt mech is more malleable then an omnimech.
For omnimech builds, while we get the same boom done, ours mechlab is closer to hard tt rules on customizing pods instead of the whole mech, not creation rules. Omnis can mod pod weapons with gear freely, with the hard point limits, but unlike tt not all hard locked items usually consisting of armor and specialty parts that by the game programmers have been also ruled as locked or not on a mech to mech basis. Only the omni engine is a constant. Yet even with swapping pods, the limitations are greater then tt.

This coupled with unlocked structure and armor customization on battle Mechs can actually limit omnis fast faster then they should. This is mostly imo a side effect of no working R&R/economy that would benefit a day repair omni vs finding that Hunchback torso to get yours up and running.
I don't know any way to fix it as is, maybe of they do an engine upgrade that can program a system that makes omnis worthwhile in a similar situation to a battlemech but for now, the battlemech is more malleable then the omnimech.

O god grammar, good luck deciphering i need to get to work

Edited by Alex Morgaine, 23 January 2017 - 06:31 PM.

#88 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:42 PM

I think Gauss should do 5 damage, spike to 15 heat, and get 3x range with an optimum of 270 meters for optimum balance.

#89 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:51 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 23 January 2017 - 07:42 PM, said:

I think Gauss should do 5 damage, spike to 15 heat, and get 3x range with an optimum of 270 meters for optimum balance.

Plot or Tagline To Land Of The Lost said:

Protagonist MechWarrior Yeonne Greene is in a special-customized Mist Lynx loaded with only a Gauss Rifle (and no ammo) and was somehow magically sent to K-Town for an indefinite period of time...

#90 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:54 PM

View PostDimento Graven, on 23 January 2017 - 02:43 PM, said:

But we're demonstrating the continued ever painful downward spiral of the weapon here.

They keep making it worse and worse and giving it NOTHING to balance that risk-vs-reward calculation you do when you're building your 'mechs.

They've yet to address the dumbest aspect of the weapon, the possibility it will explode when hit, even when completely out of ammo and not charged at all, so no matter what, you're stuck with a 15 ton, 7 crit slot, bomb on your 'mech.

Thank god they're going to fix that overheating, non-registering of hit, issue (though admittedly I thought it was an HSR thing kicking me in the *** when ever it happened), at least that's something, but it's SO rare to overheat while firing a gauss rifle, it's an almost negligible fix.

The DPS/DPT of the weapon has continued to decline, year over year, and over they years they keep enforcing new limitations, and NOW it doesn't have the range it once did. It's like someone in PGI hates the gauss, but instead of an all out killing of the weapon they've been attempting to 'boil the frog slowly'.

They should just revert the cooldown nerf then if it is indeed such a problem, since the only weapon with a higher cooldown now is C-SSRM6 and the only reason for that absurdly high cooldown is because SSRMs are such a terribly designed weapon system.

I will say though that gauss has always been a strong weapon because of its high pinpoint damage, almost non-existent heat, and still very long range with the projectile speed to make use of it, so PGI does indeed have to be careful about how good it is even with the drawbacks it has.

Edited by Pjwned, 23 January 2017 - 11:56 PM.

#91 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 08:27 AM

View PostPjwned, on 23 January 2017 - 11:54 PM, said:

They should just revert the cooldown nerf then if it is indeed such a problem, since the only weapon with a higher cooldown now is C-SSRM6 and the only reason for that absurdly high cooldown is because SSRMs are such a terribly designed weapon system.
That could be an option.

Side note: In my opinion, on the C-SSRM6, honestly if they added the "maximum number to be fired simultaneously" limitation that the gauss has on it, they COULD lower the cool down significantly. The C-SSRM6 is really only a problem when you run into certain 'mechs packing 3 or more of 'em.

I will say though that gauss has always been a strong weapon because of its high pinpoint damage, almost non-existent heat, and still very long range with the projectile speed to make use of it, so PGI does indeed have to be careful about how good it is even with the drawbacks it has.
It's one of those weapons with a high learning curve, and it doesn't help that curve when such drastic changes are made every 6 months/year...

If you have the ability to aim, and your computer isn't a potato, it can be a deadly weapon. Unfortunately it's to much of a double edged sword the way it is now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users