41 replies to this topic

#21 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:52 AM

Build 1 is the best choice, but are you really going to release loyalty pods early by way of a champion?

#22 Jman5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 12:24 PM

View PostTina Benoit, on 23 January 2017 - 06:12 PM, said:

Regarding the community-created Hellbringer Builds here: https://mwomercs.com...champion-build/

Let's discuss the top 3 voted Hellbringer builds! Answer the following:
- Which one of the below 3 builds do you think should get implemented as the champion?
- Why would this fit best as the Hellbringer Champion?
- Is your pick new-player friendly? If so, how?

Build #1: Hellbringer F(L)
Build #2: Hellbringer Prime
Build #3: Hellbringer A

Discuss! Also please try to keep it fairly short as a designer will be taking their time to review this thread to make the final call.

I picked build #3.

I don't like build #1 because the back/front armor distribution is a mess. Devoting 1/3 of your torso armor to your back makes those builds unbelievably fragile. A complete non-starter.

#2 is alright, but I'm hesitant about Gauss for new player mechs. The Charge up mechanic is a little tough to manage, and the 100% explosion rate of Gauss will probably frustrate them.

#3 is a fine build that runs cool without any skills/coolshots. The one weapon type simplifies things greatly for new players. A little weak on the damage side, but survivability and heat management are what I think are more important for new players.

Edited by Jman5, 26 January 2017 - 12:26 PM.

#23 Natural Predator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 690 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 12:41 PM

All 3 builds are weak in my opinion. Not worthy of the name Champion.

1. Aforementioned armor is messed up. Also add an additonal medium laser.

2. Gauss vom needs 5 medium lasers, reason being is you have low alpha and when that gauss rifle explodes at least with 5 mediums you can do some damage.

3. This is the least ****** of the builds but I honestly think you should substituted 1 Large pulse lazer in there instead of 6 medium lasers. It gives you at least a bit of range and still runs pretty cool.

4. How is dakka vomit not on this list? IMO one of the better builds for the helbringer.

Edited by Ragnar Baron Leiningen, 26 January 2017 - 12:42 PM.

#24 Soviet Alex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 626 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:10 PM

Build 1: HBR-F. 2xLP lasers is better when you are first starting out than 1xGauss Rifle, and Build 3 doesn't have any long-range weapons. All 3 look very meta to me.

#25 -Spectre

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 120 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:52 PM

I would definitely pick build 1. It allows new players to learn how to manage heat without being too punishing of failure. It also helps them learn to focus components and peek (I am mentoring a new player through this build, though without the loyalty pod, and I was happy to hear him say he discovered component-focusing). Also, I have had lots of success with this build, and while I still prefer my 2ppc 4mg+tag build, this one is also very good.

#26 Stormie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 279 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 26 January 2017 - 06:04 PM

If I were picking this as the best build for an alt account player, then yeah option 1 (with LPL and ERML) is great. experienced players that can manage the heat and understand hillhumping etc will get good value out of it.
New players that stand out in the open (often stationary lining up shots), I think they'd benefit from the ability to fire a little more indiscriminately like build 3 offers, and have arms with armour on to extend survivability.

Looking at the existing trials, the vast majority already play in the medium/long range whereas build 3 is more a pure medium range build (those complaining about lack of range should keep in mind it has a longer effective range than any IS LPL based build, and runs cooler than most of those too).
Off the top of my head the only other clan champions that sit in this range bracket are the MPL stormcrow and the Ultra10 Hunchie
I mean the trials are supposed to be for new players to try a bunch of different stuff before they invest their cbills, not play the same build (LPL+ERML+Gauss if it fits) on 10 different chassis. (eg DWF, WHK, TBR, EBJ) in fact build 1 is an exact carbon copy loadout of the existing timber trial, except with less heatsinks. and I don't know if any of you ever played that champion, but without the skills it overheated like crazy. I mean an experienced player could manage it but a newbie?
You people need to remember these things are played without any chassis unlock skills, and you'd assume that situation will be maintained with the new skill trees. (totally shouldn't be the case but I wont go there)
They don't play the same way your mastered variant does.

Edited by Stormie, 06 February 2017 - 02:15 AM.

#27 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:32 PM

1 has cLPLs, and 2 and 3 are boring. At least they all have ECM. I'm voting for 1.

#28 Kamikaze Viking

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationStay on Topic... STAY ON TOPIC!!!

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:11 PM

Vote Build 2 because its different to the all laser vomit options. eg the trial timber and likely winner of the WHM-6d trial, and similar yet different to the EBJ trial.

Its a Timeless classic that will work effectively on hot maps, has been useful across many varying meta cycles (although never top meta). I would agree with swapping the TC1 for extra heat sinks for new players and sticking with 4ERML instead of the more comp 5-6ERML for heat reasons for new players. (it could also do a straight swap for 2 UAC5s instead of gauss)

Edited by Kamikaze Viking, 26 January 2017 - 09:11 PM.

#29 Gylfie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 557 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 27 January 2017 - 05:59 AM

#1 is best hellbringer

But need to change placement.
1 ML to head.
2 LPL + 1 ML should be in 1 side torso.
Other side torso you will use like shield.

1000+ damage and 6 kmdd in almost every quick play

#30 Chester Rico

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:35 PM

You disqualified other trials for having loyalty/hero stuff, so #1 shouldn't even be here.

Build #2 is decent.

#31 Mr D One

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationMmmmmm yes

Posted 28 January 2017 - 12:32 AM

Build #1

#32 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 02:08 AM

View PostChester Rico, on 27 January 2017 - 11:35 PM, said:

You disqualified other trials for having loyalty/hero stuff, so #1 shouldn't even be here.

Build #2 is decent.

Bzzzzt Wrong ! But thanks for playing. Hero variant mechs and pods are not allowed but loyalty ones are. Tina specifically said so.

Edited by Dee Eight, 28 January 2017 - 02:08 AM.

#33 SlippnGriff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 220 posts
  • LocationSpud farm

Posted 28 January 2017 - 09:02 AM

View PostChester Rico, on 27 January 2017 - 11:35 PM, said:

Build #2 is decent.

you mean it's an alternate way of getting that very useful omnipod

View Postdimats, on 27 January 2017 - 05:59 AM, said:

#1 is best hellbringer

1 ML to head.

new players shouldn't dead side their mech. you think they're gunna know about twisting damage off that bat?

#34 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 05:38 AM

Difficult call, but #2. Armor loadout good, it has ECM and high mounted weapons, so you don't need to expose your whole mech to shoot.

I think new players would be a lot more easy at aiming with ER-L than gauss rifle but it's not bad.

#35 0111101

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 148 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:47 AM

View PostTina Benoit, on 23 January 2017 - 06:12 PM, said:

Regarding the community-created Hellbringer Builds here: https://mwomercs.com...champion-build/

Let's discuss the top 3 voted Hellbringer builds! Answer the following:
- Which one of the below 3 builds do you think should get implemented as the champion?

Discuss! Also please try to keep it fairly short as a designer will be taking their time to review this thread to make the final call.

Knocking build #3 off the list and looking at #1 and #2. Non-bold text below is just fluff/reasoning.

#1 needs armor values redistributed - 20 rear armor is way too much, drop it to 4. Add 1 point of armor to each arm, taken from each leg. When an enemy looks at this mech's fresh paper doll, they may be less likely to avoid shooting at the arms because they appear to be armored - helping them fulfill their role as shields while utilizing the bare minimum amount of armor to serve that purpose since the structure points eat up damage too. Ends up looking like this.

#2 needs some equipment and armor values shuffled. Move the CT DHS to the LT where all the lasers are. Move the LT TC1 to the CT, and put a full ton of Gauss Ammo in the CT with it after you change all ammo in the Gauss Rifle RT to half-tons for crit padding. Players will have maximum crit padding for their gauss rifle this way, until they fire their 15th gauss shot since CT ammo is used before RT ammo. Cut the pointless arm armor down to 1 and put it onto the legs (for the same reason as the build above.) Ends up looking like this.

Both builds are new player friendly - only two weapon groups. The laser build's 2LPL + 3ERML synchronize really well in both cooldown and range. The Gauss + 4ERML build also synchronizes fairly well and would serve to introduce new players to that brand of ballistic load out. I know either of these will work fine as "the best fit" because I have more than 4 days of game time spent piloting Hellbringers and know what works best on them. 2LPL + 3ERML definitely wins out on overall ease of use, but Gauss + 4ERML wins out big time in overall heat efficiency. But, since heat tends to be a big issue for new players, I would recommend #2.

Edited by 0111101, 18 February 2017 - 12:29 PM.

#36 Nelos Kniven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 225 posts
  • LocationSolaris 7

Posted 18 February 2017 - 01:17 PM

I vote one. 3 would be like either Nova build. 2 is good, but the gauss isn't new person friendly. The lrg pulse and meds are good, got some range and decent if you can keep it in one spot, which would help teach the newbies.

#37 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:53 PM

Champions are lame...period.

The ONLY thing they bring to the game is more $MC=Cash to PGI.

And the fact that now all trial mechs are champions (small c) screws new players because the XP they gain stays on a mech. And you cannot buy a "champion" with C-Bills.

So the Hellbringer "champion" brings ZERO to the game, no new Omnipods etc and it cost $30.00

SO PLEASE do not give me the plus 30% C-Bills crap.

#38 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 30 March 2017 - 02:41 PM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 30 March 2017 - 12:53 PM, said:

Champions are lame...period.

The ONLY thing they bring to the game is more $MC=Cash to PGI.

And the fact that now all trial mechs are champions (small c) screws new players because the XP they gain stays on a mech. And you cannot buy a "champion" with C-Bills.

So the Hellbringer "champion" brings ZERO to the game, no new Omnipods etc and it cost $30.00

SO PLEASE do not give me the plus 30% C-Bills crap.

Champions share XP with the standard variant...

#39 Kwea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 374 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 06:55 PM

View Postdimats, on 27 January 2017 - 05:59 AM, said:

#1 is best hellbringer

1 ML to head.

no.

If you are going to do that use another chassis, no need for the F. Also, you have 4 QP matches in this session, with a w/l of 0.67. Doesn't sound like 1000 damage plus every match to me, although it's possible. Hell, you only average 4 kmdd/game in FW matches.

Edited by Kwea, 30 March 2017 - 07:01 PM.

#40 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 06:46 AM

With some changes mentioned, build 1
its a regular wreaking ball

Edit:

Build 1 with 7 to 10 rear armour and the rest brought forward.

It finally gives new players a viable champion heavy clan meta mech to try out. So they can find out what meta means.
When I pilot this mech I do better!!!!!!

1) Two fire buttons is easy to manage, Left click right click.
2) Easy mech to pickup and do well in, with room to master and do exceedingly well.
3) Heat is not much an issue and can be learned. Press one button for cool and two for hot.
4) Decent firepower, with a range that covers most engagement situations and high mounts means a new player just has to point and click to make robots explode. If they can see it they can shoot it.
5) Why not have a meta mech as a champion

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 03 April 2017 - 10:49 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users