- - - - -

Bought First Mech, Spending Xp?

15 replies to this topic

#1 Mechwarrior Severen Leroux

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:05 PM

Just bought my first Mech (a Dire Wolf) and wondered if it was worth getting any of the xp spend trees?

Also, wondered what I need to do to buy the extreme zoom i've seen on a couple of mechs?

many thanks

#2 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:34 PM

It's advanced zoom module, you need to unlock it from skill tree, and then buy and equip the module on a mech.

Yes, it's worth to spend mech XP to unlock stuff for that Dire. The basic level skills you are able to unlock fairly fast, rememeber to use only mech XP, not general XP. When you have only one Dire, that's as much as you can do.

Once the new skill tree comes around in about a month or two, you will get that spent mech XP back as legacy XP which is effectively general XP.

You might find Dire Wolf is difficult to play as is with many assults, and you might benefit from getting another mech, like a heavy, which may earn C-Bills more.

#3 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:55 PM

Get Radar Dep first, if not seismic.

#4 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 26 January 2017 - 10:57 PM

Yes

No

Your welcome.

~Leone.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 11:43 PM

View PostMechwarrior Severen Leroux, on 26 January 2017 - 03:05 PM, said:

Just bought my first Mech (a Dire Wolf) and wondered if it was worth getting any of the xp spend trees?

Also, wondered what I need to do to buy the extreme zoom i've seen on a couple of mechs?

many thanks

Yes. Almost immediately spend XP on Cool Run and Heat Containment. This will let you cool slightly faster and give you a higher maximum heat limit before shutdown.

The upcoming complete overhaul to the skill tree will refund anything XP you spend as GXP which you can use on anything any mech.

#6 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 27 January 2017 - 01:04 AM

As said, don't spend GXP on mech skills. Use it to unlock skills located under 'Pilot Skills'.

This is where you'll find skills to unlock like the 'Advanced Zoom' you mentioned. Please note that this is more like unlocking a new type of tech, you will still need to buy the tech (a Module) to make use of it. In the case of Advanced Zoom that would be 2 million C-bills.

But I'd advise against Advanced Zoom for your Dire Wolf, it's really only handy for dedicated sniper builds and now that Gauss and AC/2 have lost their maximum x3 optimal range and have the standard maximum range of x2 optimal range you can argue that it's even no longer good for those.

Like said, get yourself Radar Deprivation. You are in a slow cumbersome mech and a priority target for LRMs, Radar Deprivation will help shield you faster. Seismic Sensor was also mentioned which is another good one for Assault mechs, allowing you to detect enemies that are trying to sneak up on you (as long as you pay attention to the mini-map).

In the case of Modules that have more than 1 level to unlock (like for instance Seismic or the Weapon Modules) the bought module automatically upgrades to the improved version when you buy the next level of the Pilot Skill.

Good luck out there! Assaults are not the easiests class to start out with, especially not the slow and cumbersome Dire Wolf.

#7 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 05:14 AM

@OP dont waste your "precious" GXP on useless modules such as advanced zoom, you want to save that all up and get rader deprivation and then seismic sensor -> advanced seismic sensor modules. These are the only real must haves!

Also, you picked a very difficult mech to start out with, that fatty is so slow you will be left behind every time and picked apart...

I suggest to acquire a medium mech asap and learn the ropes from there, perhaps something like a ... cicada! Not the mech that jumps to mind by most people, also probably not the bad *** mech you so much desire, but the good thing about the cicada is that is very average and thats exactly what new players need! It can do a lot of things alright and is speedy enough to get out of bad situations.

Look here for a few interesting builds that work: http://metamechs.com...-guides/cicada/

#8 Mechwarrior Severen Leroux

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:26 AM

Thanks for the help all.

I've been enjoying the assaults much more than the other classes, so gonna try and grind this one for a while.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 08:27 PM

View PostSnagaDance, on 27 January 2017 - 01:04 AM, said:

As said, don't spend GXP on mech skills. Use it to unlock skills located under 'Pilot Skills'.

At this point, does it actually matter?
All modules are going to be removed/destroyed except consumables. All XP and GXP will be refunded as GXP. Cbills spent on modules are going to be refunded since modules themselves are going to be thrown out.

Why not rush to enjoy them before they bite the dust in the way of the dinosaur?

Don't get me wrong, if it wasn't one to two months around the corner, I'd be wholeheartedly agreeing with the age old sage advice. But the world is turning and the old ways are getting churned into compost to make way for the new era.

#10 Robinhood78

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Hauptmann
  • Hauptmann
  • 108 posts
  • LocationWestmont, IL USA

Posted 27 January 2017 - 08:44 PM

The advanced zoom module is what you are talking about. My thoughts are this. If your computer is not running the game at a good fps, then it can be helpful. I found it useful when I was using a potato instead of a CPU (game is very CPU dependent, not RAM), but once I upgraded I found that advanced zoom was less effective. Cryengine doesn't like the picture in picture way advanced zoom works; htere is a kind of delay in the image. If your video card and CPU are good enough the double zoom and good mouse sensitivity (way way way lower than default) is really a better option for you.

GXP comes slowly and is better used for truly useful modules like radar dep first and advanced seismic second. After that you may want to look into a few others, but hill clime and advanced gyro and practically useless imho.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 08:53 PM

A way to enjoy advanced zoom without the picture in picture. Edit: YOU MUST HAVE THE MODULE!

First, have it and equip it.
Second, press V or whatever key you set it to.
Third, press Right Shift and F11 (or is it right CTRL and F11)? The HUD will turn off. This includes the 'picture' in picture.

While the picture in picture is actually 5x zoom, the full zoom is at 4x zoom. As such you still get a 'better' zoom.

Remember to restore your HUD by repeating step 3 again.

How using advanced zoom works for me.

Note I have an exceptionally high mouse setting so I can't enjoy precision aiming. I find fast twisting speed to be preferable.

Note 2: In this video, I'm not using the trick that I described. But basically it's the same thing...but without the 'picture in picture' box.

Edited by Koniving, 27 January 2017 - 09:16 PM.

#12 Robinhood78

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Hauptmann
  • Hauptmann
  • 108 posts
  • LocationWestmont, IL USA

Posted 27 January 2017 - 08:58 PM

View PostKoniving, on 27 January 2017 - 08:53 PM, said:

A way to enjoy advanced zoom without the picture in picture.

First, have it and equip it.
Second, press V or whatever key you set it to.
Third, press Right Shift and F11 (or is it right CTRL and F11)? The HUD will turn off. This includes the 'picture' in picture.

While the picture in picture is actually 5x zoom, the full zoom is at 4x zoom. As such you still get a 'better' zoom.

Remember to restore your HUD by repeating step 3 again.

How advanced zoom works for me.

Note I have an exceptionally high mouse setting so I can't enjoy precision aiming. I find fast twisting speed to be preferable.

Note 2: In this video, I'm not using the trick that I described.

Wait, is that right? Are you saying you can increase your zoom by turning the HUD off? O do I misunderstand you?

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:14 PM

View PostRobinhood78, on 27 January 2017 - 08:58 PM, said:

Wait, is that right? Are you saying you can increase your zoom by turning the HUD off? O do I misunderstand you?

No.
You actually shorten your zoom.

Without the advanced zoom you have "3" zoom levels.
With Advanced Zoom, you get levels "4" (the area around the small picture-in-picture) and "5" (the picture-in-picture).

With turning off the HUD, you remove the picture in picture, cutting away level "5", but enjoying a full screen level "4" zoom.

This 'Still' requires the advanced zoom. It just removes the blurry 'box'.

#14 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 05:27 AM

Yeah, it does work. Normal zoom levels are 1(normal view), 1.5, and 2. (assuming no targetting computer) Advanced zoom is 4.4(whole screen), and the picture in picture portion of it has 5x.

But, good luck hitting anything without hud, because crosshair is part of it.

Edited by Teer Kerensky, 28 January 2017 - 05:27 AM.

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 09:52 AM

Armlock plus crosshair in the center of the screen. Sometimes or at least for some mechs, the crosshairs aren't where they 'say' they are anyway during advanced zoom since the picture in picture is a bit 'off'.

So either way you're kind of firing blind.

#16 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:39 AM

View PostKoniving, on 27 January 2017 - 08:27 PM, said:

At this point, does it actually matter?
All modules are going to be removed/destroyed except consumables. All XP and GXP will be refunded as GXP. Cbills spent on modules are going to be refunded since modules themselves are going to be thrown out.

Why not rush to enjoy them before they bite the dust in the way of the dinosaur?

Don't get me wrong, if it wasn't one to two months around the corner, I'd be wholeheartedly agreeing with the age old sage advice. But the world is turning and the old ways are getting churned into compost to make way for the new era.

True enough. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuut, we all know PGI's record with delivering new developments on time or at all *cough*energy draw*cough* *hack*reintroducing inverse kinetics*cough*. And because other people had already pointed it out I just went with the safe 'tried and true' answer. Posted Image

Tinfoil hat mode engaged: "It's all part of PGI's plan of making the players spend more I tell ya! I've already bought several single mechs this path month and I bet they're just waiting to shelve the redesigned skills and having me buy the others needed. You'ze just wait!" Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users