- - - - -

Drop Decks, New Skill Tree Uncertainty. (What's A New Player To Do?)

7 replies to this topic

#1 Spunkmaster

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 01:29 PM

Hi guys,

I've been playing MWO for a few months now, working my way to mid-tier 3 on PUG solo drops alone. Last night, I played a group drop and was invited to join a unit. This unit is allied with an IS house. My garage of 11 mechs feels Clan heavy.

Questions:

Are Meta Mech's Drop Ship Ladders still relevant/current?

Does anyone have an idea how the new skill tree system will effect builds, especially regarding CW/drop decks? I don't want to burn through my stash of C-Bills putting an IS drop deck(s) together only to have it be completely irrelevant in a month's time.

I'll wait until the end of next month to level any new mechs. This is what I've been doing since the new Skill Tree system was announced. I'll just let the XP accumulate.

My current IS mechs: CDA-3M (mastered); BJ-1DC, BJ-1X & BJ-2(L) (all mastered); CN9-A (basic); TDR-9S (basic). The CN9 & TDR have 60k+ XP waiting to be leveled.

I love the CDA & BJs but can't find mediums and heavies that feel/work as good for me as the HBK IIC, SCR & HBR. I also can't find a light as good as my ACH.

Two decks; one for hot map, one for cold?

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

#2 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 05:14 PM

I don't think the skill tree change is going to effect balance of mechs that much. If any at all.

Biggest change will be dropping the requirement of 3 variants to fully level a mech, and to make module boots permanent skills(as in quirks) tied to a particular mech.

#3 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 27 January 2017 - 05:48 PM

View PostTeer Kerensky, on 27 January 2017 - 05:14 PM, said:

I don't think the skill tree change is going to effect balance of mechs that much. If any at all.

maybe. maybe not. Impossible to predict at this point. The good news is that the new skill tree system is going live on the PTS first, so there should be ample time to make adjustments and recover from any "losses"

#4 CJ Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 222 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 07:08 PM

Basically, you just gotta figure out what kinda mechs you want to take.. Longer range mechs can work, but i kinda like to go with medium, with some brawl for CW.

But as for what mechs you should get? I dunno,, haven't really said what you like, But that said, you could just grab another TDR like the 5SS it's basically an energy brawler, good tanking too with the STD. Then run those with the cicada, blackjack or cent..But unless you got another heavy, you are running kinda light.

Maybe get soemthing a bit heavier like the warhammer? But really with those light mechs, you may just wanna bring an assault like the Stalker, battlemaster and Banshee are all used in Drop decks.

I have run cicada's in my drop deck, and the BJ isn't a bad option either and then also add in a 50 or 55 toner. Then that leaves leaves you more room to take heavier mechs for maybe the opening round for example.

But really you could just wait, and then play around on test.. they typically give you money so you can try things out. But you could also play around on testing grounds, and use trail mechs, maybe something will give ya a spark.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 08:43 PM

To be honest, experienced as I am I learned fairly long ago to not take too much stock in anything said by meta mechs. Something to remember is that the builds are always situational as are the 'tiers', and biased by the players that use them. Anything from not liking the cockpit to the noise the engine makes can be enough to make them 'hate' the 'Mech, though usually it is not being able to exploit the hitboxes or issues with the game code (such as spamming the jumpjet key) to survive far more than they should. In the case of the Kintaro, it had a faulty hitbox on release and though fixed within a week, between this and the lack of the "I'm invincible" jumpjet exploit (which has been mostly fixed since then), the Kintaro is forever cursed as a "bad mech."

When it's actually pretty damn sweet. Least the ones with missile doors on the CT. The non-door one is a bit challenged.

A really nifty strategy if you have a group of players, is to look at and study the meta mechs for FW...
....and casually make their opposite. One, the enemy will have no idea what you have or are using, so "meta strategies" are pretty much out the window. Two, if your mechs are built to counter meta mechs by exploiting their flaws and weaknesses, basically the meta players just gave you the victory.

#6 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:41 PM

I basically took a look at metamechs when I started, realized it was wrong and have ignored it since.

Some things are correct, but on the whole not right.

~Leone.

#7 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,880 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:44 PM

Metamechs will tell you on its webpage when the last update was - I think it was the Huntsman patch. But it's also just a good starting point, for a couple of reasons. First, it's the opinion of one skilled player based on his experiences, which lends it to subjectivity. But the far more important reason is that meta tactics are a lot like Best In Slot lists in MMORPGs. That armor penetration belt may be the best thing your Warrior could possibly wear - but only if you also have the two rings and enchants to bring up your hit. Metamechs is similar; if everyone is using meta tactics and the high-level (ish) skill set that developed those tactics, then they're great. But you may not be able to play those tactics well, or your teammates may decide to do something totally different, particularly at beginning tiers.

Pay attention to the meta and don't be one of those guys who thinks he's a special snowflake - but also remember that the people who define the meta are fallible and that they constantly play with different builds themselves, using meta builds for serious competition and practice. Do what seems good to you - and feel free to ask our opinions - and make adjustments based on your result. Take the meta to mind, not to heart.

#8 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 29 January 2017 - 05:41 AM

the meta in general is designed to define which is the best playstyle to use and best Mechs to use with that playstyle.

if you dislike or lack the skills to be effective using that playstyle "Meta" and the metamechs site will be pretty much worthless to you.

I persionaly find no fun in imitating what other people concider to be "the best", I would much rather discover what works best for me, and usualy that has been more effective for me than imatiting what others concider to be the best (for a while I was on a comp team and playing meta builds with the rest of the team, after about 3 months doing that I was totaly burned out on MWO and took a few months out (playing maybe 1-2 hours a week), I decided never to try to play meta again as it took most of the fun out of the game.

If you want to be "the best" then meta may be the way to go but if you want to have fun and do not concider winning to be the only way to have fun then perhaps try the meta but do not think meta is the only way to play

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users