- - - - -

Skill Tree Faq?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Iron Tortoise

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 10:27 AM

I remember seeing someone saying about a faq on the skill tree, i would realy like to see how some mechs will handle themselfs without quirks, so, where is it?

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 11:16 AM

Official FAQs would be found here.
https://mwomercs.com...sked-questions/
There isn't one yet for the new skill tree.

However, from a video analysis (which I am in the process of producing)
the skill tree is almost entirely a "pick your quirks" setup.
These range from additional armor (without additional weight), structural buffs, mobility quirks ranging from acceleration to speed to movement range etc., weapon quirks of any and every imaginable sort both generic and very specific, to quirks on unusual things such as sensors (range, area??), "zoom quality", and many others.

From what was seen... The video disclosed during Mech Con...
It showed that there was a maximum of 75 skill unlocks permitted out of a list of 200+, with 25 more GXP specific unlocks possible.
Also what is available is supposed to change depending on what mech chassis and variant you are unlocking for.

This is all we know for certain, and any and all of this may have changed since then.

The only two other things I know of for certain... is you can pay to "reset" your skill tree if you don't like it...
And that if you have two copies of the same variant of the same chassis, you can lead them in two entirely different directions on the skill tree if you so wish.

#3 Qmoney7

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:29 PM

Edit to the original roadmap announcement promising answers to the FAQ last week:

"A post was initially planned for release prior to the PTS, but with changes and improvements to the Skill Tree build still underway, a post coinciding with the PTS will be more reflective of the build you'll see."

I'm expecting that they're orchestrating this change to increase the grind in MWO for players who have been around for a long time. They're probably seeing a drop off in investment from established players with a large stable of mastered mechs. If they release a 'new system' that requires way more XP to gain bonuses, they can also increase the XP payout per match, devaluing the XP reserves of long time players.

#4 Boulangerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 05:49 AM

View PostQmoney7, on 30 January 2017 - 10:29 PM, said:

Edit to the original roadmap announcement promising answers to the FAQ last week:

"A post was initially planned for release prior to the PTS, but with changes and improvements to the Skill Tree build still underway, a post coinciding with the PTS will be more reflective of the build you'll see."

I'm expecting that they're orchestrating this change to increase the grind in MWO for players who have been around for a long time. They're probably seeing a drop off in investment from established players with a large stable of mastered mechs. If they release a 'new system' that requires way more XP to gain bonuses, they can also increase the XP payout per match, devaluing the XP reserves of long time players.

I was wondering if there would be some inflation for the XP pool. I can see them doing this and increasing the XP rewards to compensate. While this would have the effect of cutting into the large "XP reserves" for longtime players, I don't really have a big problem with this unless it's taken too far. The reason is that currently, GXP and mech xp on mastered chassis is pointless for a lot of players right now. A little inflation would serve two purposes. It would allow a purpose for older players to use all of this banked XP, and it would make it so that newer players don't have an insurmountable hill to climb to master a few chassis.

However, I've heard that the overall time to "master" a mech will be about the same. This means that each skill point will either take much less XP, or we will be gaining more per match.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 12:15 PM

Iron buddy, what's keeping you on those 25 matches? Would you like some help getting them finished? This weekend in the evenings (EST) me and a few others can help with that.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users